Reload this Page >

Maui Four Seasons room views.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 11:43 AM
JR

Quick question...I'm planning a honeymoon for next year (2001) and planned on staying at the Four Seasons in both Maui and Hawai'i. The Hawai'i property looked perfect(except the beach looked a little rocky)--it reminded us alot of the Four Seasons in Nevis, West Indies (small 2 story buildings which blend in perfectly with the environment--(thats our idea of a perfect hotel--I highly recommend the FS in Nevis). Although I knew beforehand the Maui Four Seasons would be bigger and less intimate---I wasn't overly thrilled with the pictures I saw on the 2Hawaii.com webpage. For one, the rooms don't look THAT plush to me---and the room pictures vary greatly from the 2hawaii webpage and the four seasons webpage. Also, to me, it seems that almost all the rooms (including the executive suites) face each other in an U-shaped configuration--therefore the view isn't what I thought it would be for the kind of $ one spends. To be able to see into other people's rooms, while at the same time having someone above, below and to the sides of you seems overly crowded to me(I know the neighboring Grand Waliea hotel is worse.) Also, the hotel looks like its a ways back from the beach. I realize that the Maui FS is rated very highly, but the pictures I've seen aren't overly impressive considering the $700+ per/night costs of an executive suite. Any one have any insight on this? Maybe I'm just spoiled from our trip to the FS in Nevis. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Frank

Cannot comment on the Four Seasons on Maui, but did stay at the Four Seasons on the Big Island. Just like to let you know that its two-story buildings will likely be what you're looking for and that its beachfront is indeed rocky and, in fact, isn't really much of a beach at all. Instead, its guests use the 3 or 4 beautiful pools which front the beachfront, including my favorite, a salt water pool/grotto that is stocked with interesting fish (including 2 rays) for an ultra-convenient snorkel experience.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 02:27 PM
az

I stayed at the Four Seasons in Maui in December 98. The rooms are very nice and the bathrooms are huge. I would agree about the view. The hotel is u-shaped and kind of crammed into the site. There is not much of a view at all from the rooms. I don't recall seeing into other people's rooms, but I wasn't looking. In short, the balconies are not much. But the hotel is very nice. There is a pool area very close to the beach and there is a nice beach area (for Wailea - which has little beach to begin with). The service is great and the location is good. We also stayed at the Sheraton on the other side of the island and came back to the Four Seasons because it was too crowded over there. Maui is definitely not secluded - but the Four Seasons is as good as it gets on Maui. We really liked the hotel.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 08:12 PM
Ben

It's been several years (7) since I last stayed at the FS Maui, but as I recall, the suites are situated near and at the open ends of the "U", that is, nearest the water. You are correct that the majority of the rooms do not have unobstructed water views. This is an important issue in my book, and I'd call the 800 # and ask them to call the property (while you hold) to verify that there are no suites near the base of the "U".
As for 'posh', I also agree that if what you seek is an ambience like the FS New York or Chicago or Boston, you're not going to find it in Maui. That, however, is by design. From an interior design standpoint, most feel it is incongruous to put traditional furnishings in the tropics. I've read/heard a great deal of criticism against the Ritz properties because they've chosen traditional in Hawaii and Phoenix, for example. I've stayed at both, and frankly it doesn't bother me a bit to walk out of a Victorian room onto the beach, but I won't argue that it's a little odd.
For what it's worth , my wife stayed at FS Nevis a few years after we both stayed at FS Maui and she liked Maui MUCH better.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 11:49 PM
Don

1. The executive suites ARE plush -- "casual" plush -- large and beautiful.

2. The view WILL be much closer to the ocean. You won't be disappointed.

3. Wailea is SUPERIOR to Nevis in every way imaginable (as is the entire island, ditto for the Big Island). However, if you relish seeing a lot of poverty, then by all means stick to Nevis and the Caribbean!! Maui just might be TOO pristine for your tastes!!!

Old May 1st, 2000, 06:25 AM
JR

Thanks for the replies.
Ben, I'm sure Maui has alot more going on--Nevis is only good for about 5-6 days IMHO(although I could play that Robert Trent Jones course for a year straight!!) However, I already knew that Maui has much more upside than Nevis(I actually wasn't trying to compare the islands--thanks for the info though). Yet I think many would prefer the design and neighborhhod feel of the 146 room FS Nevis resort more. Personally I prefer the "Ritz"-type interior design more--(which the Nevis FS has)--I don't care where its located at. I think you and I agree on the interior design part. To me at least--why pay that much $$$ and fly all that way for nice wicker furniture when I can get that for less than $200 night in Hilton Head? Personally, I've never had a problem coming in from scuba diving and slipping into a mahogany chair!!!
As for you Don...you missed the point enitrely---I'm comparing resorts--NOT ISLANDS. Response #2 is rather childish--but I'll respond to it nevertheless.
1) Wasn't trying to compare Maui to the Caribbean--merely just the 2 FS resorts (Nevis vs. Maui) on those islands. Too pristine for my tastes??--you don't know me too well..if you did you'd know thats pretty laughable. Doesn't it make sense that if I thought the caribbean was that much higher up pristine-wise (as you term it)I would return there for my honeymoon??? Yeah...I like staying at FS resorts b/c I "relish seeing poverty"--thats makes a bunch of sense--NOT!
Maui should be---all-around---more pristine than Nevis--its bigger, more tourist-focused, more industrious and it's US statehood almost guarantees ta high standard of living. Not sure why you brought up poverty--it really has nothing to do with the intended topic of resort-room comparisons . While Nevis certainly has poverty---it seems much less than many other caribbean islands I've been to. Have you been to Nevis??? By the same token---I've already assumed Maui was a step up (thats why I'm going next year on my hoenymoon)--all I'm questioning is the VALUE of the rooms at FS at Maui. I'm sure Maui is more pristine than Nevis--no question about that---BUT from what I've seen at the FS in Nevis, its setting (in a palm grove under beautiful Mt. Nevis), its rooms, the layout of the resort (world-class golf course right outside your door) it certainly looks MORE pristine IMHO than a U-shaped 300+ room facilty in Maui

Old May 1st, 2000, 11:27 AM
joe fabitz

JR,
LOL. Thats a first!! Criticizing posts from those who are just trying to be helpful. What an ass you seem to be!!!

Old May 1st, 2000, 10:49 PM
Don

JR -- If you prefer a "Ritz-type" interior as I do myself, then why not just stay at the RITZ-CARLTON itself on Maui? I personally prefer that resort over the Four Seasons, although you most assuredly will get differing opinions about it! However, it's beautiful, secluded and luxurious!

I will also recommend the absolutely gorgeous Manele Bay Hotel on the island of Lanai, another secluded, fantastic property, and the interiors have the dark mahogany that you prefer as well. So you might want to consider splitting your time between both places!

As far as your description of the "wicker" furniture at the Four Seasons, well, it definitely is more plush than that! And also, for you to even mention Hilton Head in the same breath as Hawaii itself is quite ludicrous as well!! By the way, the standard rooms at the Four Seasons Maui are, I believe, about 620 sq. ft., much larger than the average hotel room, and the executive suites are even larger(yes, of course, you PAY for that)!

And yes, I KNOW you were asking about comparing resorts and not islands, but I really don't think they are mutually exclusive. Case in point: The Ritz-Carlton on St. Thomas. Beautiful resort and setting, horrible island, would never return there! I would think that one would want a perfect balance: beautiful resort AND island!

No, I have never been to Nevis and don't care to go. I do, however, have very relible reports from other people. Now granted, the setting does look quite nice with that volcano as a backrop, BUT, I really don't think that Pinney Beach looks all that spectacular and, even though the interiors do look beautiful, the exterior of the hotel to me looks, quite frankly, like an old BARN!! And with your "Ritz" taste I would presume that you would prefer something much nicer exterior-wise, REGARDLESS of the interior!

In any event, once again, I suggest a beautiful suite at the Ritz on Maui facing Molokai (I think that's the island it faces) and a suite at the Manele Bay Resort on Lanai. I really can't imagine you being disappointed in either! (However, to be fair, don't expect really white, sugar-soft beaches, as you won't find them there but it really doesn't matter as just being in Hawaii itself more than makes up for it!)

Old May 2nd, 2000, 06:41 AM
JR

Thanks Don for the reply. I really don't know how to respond to the Nevis criticisms except to say that I don't agree. Everyone I know who has gone there and stayed at the FS has loved it--and goes back for repeat visits. The reviews for the resort are outstanding. Comparing St. Thomas and Nevis is odd b/c they are totally 2 different places (I've been to both and hold Nevis in much higher regard). Also, the Hilton Head mention was again comparing rooms--not islands--I think its clear which place I hold in higher regard (i.e.--ain't going to HH for my honeymoon).
Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll admit I came down hard on you in my first reply----but you shouldn't have taken a slap at my tastes, Nevis, etc... when you personally haven't experienced either. Thanks though for the other helpful info. JR

Old May 2nd, 2000, 09:36 PM
Don

JR -- Again, to clarify, everybody that I know who has stayed at the 4 Seasons Nevis does love it, but they're not too thrilled with the island itself in comparison to Hawaii.

A few more suggestions in case you decide not to fly all the way to Hawaii:

1. Le Toiny on St. Barts.

2. If you like the Four Seasons, look for the new one being built on Great Exuma in the Bahamas which has gorgeous white sand beaches and truly crystal clear water. It MIGHT be ready in 2001, not really sure.

3. The new Ritz-Carlton on 7-Mile Beach on Grand Cayman. Again, not sure if it will be ready in 2001.

In any event, I hope you'll post a trip report on this Board upon your return, especially if you decide to try Hawaii and even end up hating it (some people do, you know)!

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 06:48 AM
Liz

We stayed at the 4 Seasons Maui last september - was great - personally I wouldn't waste the money for the view there because it is set back from the sea. I would go for the cheaper room at that hotel. The place for the Ocean front room is the Princeville in Kauai. I also think the water in the Caribbean blows away Hawaii - loved them both, but I like calm, very warm waters. Hawaii is exotic, but is still very American. I love the different cultures in the Caribbean.
Liz

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 03:23 PM
JJJ

Skip the Four Seasons in Maui -- and anything in Wailea for that matter. While everyone will tell you that Wailea is more upscale, it's basically like Kaanapali with better hotels. All hotels in Wailea, not just the Grand Wailea, are crammed next to each other, sharing 1-2 small beaches, and some rooms face the other properties. The pool area is fairly small, and it's not even peaceful because so many people are crowded around it (i.e., not fun for honeymooning).

Stay at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua. The service is immpecable and better-suited for couples and honeymooners. Most rooms have a nice, unobstructed ocean view (we got lucky with a room in the wing closest to the beach). Keep in mind, though, that the Ritz, like the Four Seasons and the Grand Wailea, are all set back from the beach, so there are no oceanfront rooms. My husband still raves about our stay there this past March. It's more remote and isolated, but spread over 60 acres of property. Definitely worth it. If you feel too isolated from the action, you're closer to Lahaina (the main town on Maui) than Wailea. Lahaina is only a 15-20 min. drive from Kapalua, while it's 45min-1hr from Wailea.

Heading for the Four Seasons Hualalai in August, so I'll let you know how it compares.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 03:28 PM
Joe

JJJ,

What ARE you talking about? Wailea has five beaches, and the resorts are NOT crammed next to each other, next door to each other, but NOT crammed. Something tells me you didn't look very closely at the surroundings!

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 03:42 PM
jjj

Joe,

Of course not, because I DIDN'T BOTHER TO STAY THERE! Did you even checkout the Ritz Carlton?

Remember, JR is headed there for his honeymoon. How many people like to spend their honeymoons surrounded by OTHER PEOPLE, especially if he loved FS Nevis?

Obviously, if he's headed for Hawaii, it's implied he would like to spend a quite amount of time alone with his new wife, you think? Otherwise you might as well suggest DisneyWorld.

I'd suggest the FS otherwise if he wasn't looking for a couples-type of vacation.

Geez...you don't have to be so NASTY! What's wrong with you people!

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 03:59 PM
DO

AS FAR AS THE FS IN MAUI, IT IS A BEAUTIFUL HOTEL AND HAS THE BEST BEACH IN MAUI. I WOULD CONSIDER THE RITZ FOR YOUR HONEYMOON, GREAT HOTEL-PERFECT AREA AROUND THE HOTEL-AND BEST WEATHER IF YOU ARE GOING JUNE THRU AUG. BEACAUSE IT GETS PRETTY HOT BY FS.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 05:37 PM
Joe

JJJ,

Sorry if I came off as nasty, didn't mean to, but, really, Wailea is so much more spacious than Kaanapali Beach - there's no comparison, in my opinion! And I HAVE seen the Ritz-Carlton, and I like both areas, although I prefer Wailea November thru July. When it's real hot & humid, August thru October I'd stay at Kapalua.

So many honeymooners have been living together for years now that I guess I don't think of them as needing a remote spot to be alone, not like years ago.

Oh, well, I'd be delighted to be at either place right now! Again, did not mean to offend!

Joe

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 10:24 AM
Roger

Stayed at the FS on Maui for honeymoon in April, 2000 (after staying at The Princeville). What you say about the rooms seems accurate. While big for a hotel, it definitely seemed average after our junior suite at Princeville. Few direct ocean views as well and rooms will face eachother across the courtyard, although they are angled so the ones closer to the beach could offer some more privacy. With all that said, it was a wonderful hotel. The comment about The Ritz being set back from the beach like at FS is way off base. The Ritz is FAR from the beach. One thing we liked about the FS was the close proximity of the beach, pool, and restaurant. Very intimate and social atmosphere. There were private lounge areas set in the dune between ocean and beach as well. I will also say that I did not like the lobby of the Ritz at all. More like what you would find in a Ritz in a city than in Hawaii with lots of dark wood and portraits on the walls. FS on the other had the perfect lobby (Princeville somewhere in between). To be fair, Ritz has better golf courses, is closer to Lahaina, and better scenery and wildlife near the mountains of West Maui. Not that it has been mentioned, but based on what you are looking for you should probably avoid the Grand Wailea. More kids and less intimacy without much benefit unless you feel like you need a lot of man made waterfalls and slides. Just my $.02 worth.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 10:46 AM
Joe

Roger,

Do you really like the golf courses better around the Ritz? Have you played the Blue, Gold & Emerald Courses in Wailea? I wouldn't say any better around the Ritz myself.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 05:28 AM
Roger

Played the Gold. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great course, but we are talking Kapalua by the Ritz. Although I did not play Kapalua, I would expect those courses to be a special experience, perhaps similar to what I felt at the Prince course (now that would be really special). At the very least I would expect better scenery (I like the West Maui mountains and the increased vegitation) and wildlife. Having said all that, the courses at Wailea were great and for a honeymoon I would not let the difference be a determining factor at all. In my case I was just happy to get out there for a round or two.