Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui/Four Seasons or St. John/Caneel Bay - Please help me decide!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: Posted on Caribbean forum too but looking for a a lot of feedback - Dilemma - Anyone been to both that can maybe help me decide? I've read and read and read and can't make up my mind. This would be a special vacation for my husband and I so I want it to be great. Am a little concerned about not enough variety of things to do on St. John and condition of Caneel Bay rooms. I understand that location is a large part of the price but for the money they charge, I want a very nice, clean room too. The location of Caneel Bay and being right on the beach is a big plus. Please, anyone with input help! We would be going in a few months.

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:30 AM
nyc

Jillian:

I have been to both places and they are both first rate. You've heard this before but it really depends on what you're looking for. If you are a beach person, Caneel Bay wins hands down. Wailea beach is an excellent Hawaiian beach, but in terms of water clarity and soft sand, Caneel wins easily. If you are a beach bum, try to get a room facing Scott beach at Caneel, that's the very best spot on the resort. Also, if peace and quiet are a big consideration, Caneel has many fewer children. In fact, children aren't allowed on Scott beach except during holidays.

However, if food, service and amenities are a bigger consideration, then FS wins hands down. The level of service at all FS resorts is great, and you won't get room service at Caneel! Attendants will attend to your every whim, and after the first day, the waiters will remember your name. To top it off, unless you go in the summer, FS is cheaper than Caneel. The rooms are also larger, and have more comforts, especially the bathrooms, which are spacious. The FS Maui has fairly small grounds, so it can get crowded when people are taking family vacations. But the there is no comparison when it comes to the food. FS food (even for snacks) is first rate all the way. The best that can be said for Caneel food is that it's ordinary.

Another consideration is distance. Are you flying from the West Coast or East Coast? Hawaii can take a few days adjustment for an East Coast person with the time difference.

All that being said, I'm a beach person so I would pick Caneel over FS Maui(but the FS on the Big Island is so exceptional I would choose it first).
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Loungin

Forgive me for not going into details here. The Caribbean is beautiful and I'll definitely go back, but it is not Hawaii. Hawaii has its own beauty that you just won't see on St. John's. Also, it's highly possible that you will run out of things to see and do on St. John's. On Maui, you can go to the top of Haleakala and watch a beautiful sunrise then bike ride down the mountain(very safe), take the Road to Hana which is an incredible and fun experience, snorkel at Molokini, and many other things. That is my opinion and please understand that I'm not knocking St. John's or the Caribbean in any way. I love the Caribbean and St. John's. I just love Hawaii that much more. Have a safe trip.

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 06:39 AM

If you are looking for a great beach hangout, Caneel Bay wins hands down. If you can afford it, get a beachfront room which are bungalows (two rooms to to a building.) The bungalows are spread out over the beach so you won't feel like you are on top of each other. Your room will be steps from the ocean. The rooms are not plush but very simplistic tropical theme (no a/c and no t.v).

There isn't much to do on St. John but you just want to relax on the beach then Caneel Bay would be perfect.

My suggestion would be to split your week at different resorts on two islands. How about Little Dix Bay or Bitter End? The Bitter End the cottages are located on the hillside over looking the water.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:49 AM

If you are looking for Paradise, it is in Hawaii.