Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui-favorite places to eat (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-favorite-places-to-eat-241860/)

Helen Jul 21st, 2002 05:20 PM

Maui-favorite places to eat

Hi Everyone:<BR>Will be in Maui next week, which restaurants are not to be missed? We love fish, seafood, and steak!<BR>Thanks!!<BR>Helen

Pamela Jul 22nd, 2002 05:00 AM

Mama's Fish House is the best restaurant that I've ever been too (anywhere). It's in Paia and reservations are needed. It's a bit pricey (our meal with appetizers, drinks, dessert and tip) was about $225 for two people.

lee Jul 22nd, 2002 05:57 AM

Our favorite isn't anything fancy. But is has great food and a fantastic view of the sunset: B J's Chicago Style Pizza in Lahaina. It's on the main street, right across from the sea wall. Be sure and have one of their famous hot cookies for desert.

w Jul 22nd, 2002 06:02 AM

Helen<BR><BR>Our favorite is Sansei in the shopping center at Kapalua. We treat it like a tapas restaurant and share multiple appetizers. Especially we love the foie gras sushi - lightly sauteed and served on rice with a nori wrapper. Ohhh, now I'm getting really hungry.

barbara Jul 22nd, 2002 09:09 AM

we liked Kimos in Lahaina. Pink snapper was good and the suset is great from the restaurant.<BR><BR>WE also liked theHula Grill and Barefoot Bar at the Whaler,s Village on Kaanapali BEach.

Sue Jul 22nd, 2002 09:20 AM

Swan Court which is in the Maui Hyatt on Ka'anapali Beach. Very romantic and the seafood is excellent.

Patty Jul 22nd, 2002 10:27 AM

The best fish we had was at I'O's in Lahaina and Sansei in Kapalua (we also dined at Roy's, Mama's, Haliimaile, Hula Grill, Pacific'o, Bamboo Bistro, among others).

Lisa Jul 22nd, 2002 10:55 AM

Roy's grill, Kimos, Bubba Gump (great crab legs) and Cheese Burger in Paradise.

Kristen Jul 22nd, 2002 11:07 AM

Roys, Roys, Roys. We went to the one in between Kapalua & Kaanapali twice and loved it. No atmosphere b/c it's in a shopping center along the highway, but the food is great! I believe there's one in South Maui too. They have a ton of specials that are always changing.<BR><BR>We also liked David Paul's in Lahaina.<BR><BR>Have fun!

bettyk Jul 22nd, 2002 11:20 AM

Many of my fav's have already been mentioned, but we also like Buzz's Wharf at Ma'alea Harbor.

Cammy Jul 22nd, 2002 11:54 AM

All of the restaurants at the Four Seasons are excellent... the best of them being Seasons. Nick's is also very good. I only went to Roy's in Kauai, but it was one of the best restaurants I've ever been to, and I've the one in Maui is great too.

Jenny Jul 22nd, 2002 12:00 PM

Nicks at the Kea Lani is terrific. We<BR>also really enjoyed the food and the <BR>fun at Tommy Bahama's in Walia.<BR><BR>

t Jul 22nd, 2002 05:38 PM

topping for helen.

RMC Jul 22nd, 2002 05:47 PM

Mama's Fish House...<BR><BR>In my opinion..simply the best and well worth the drive!

Katie Jul 22nd, 2002 05:50 PM

We loved the Lahaina Fish House - sit along the rail.<BR><BR>Avoid David Pauls (snotty) and Longhi (poor service that only suggests the most expensive items on the menu (there's only a verbal menu).

p. Jul 22nd, 2002 07:31 PM

We liked Erik's Seafood Grotto in Kahana (avoid the Rotisserie & Grill place close by). Erik's is an all time favorite. Couldn't (wouldn't) afford Mama's. Found most places in Lahaina etc acceptable but not memorable for the food (views are another matter !) Longhi's an expensive disappointment. I've posted before & gladly post again that the the best meal in last May's trip was a toss-up between Erik's and ... Bubba Gump's, no kidding.<BR>At the risk of starting a war I'd say one can eat better for much less in Dallas or Houston, but that won't stop us going to the Islands !<BR>p.

Lani Jul 22nd, 2002 08:14 PM

Can't believe no one mentioned "A Pacific Cafe" in Kihei............my very favorite!

a Jul 23rd, 2002 03:40 AM

Methinks Helen won't be back to read these suggestions, based on her reaction on her other posting of this question (she didn't see this post, thought it didn't go through, so posted again -- someone called her on it and she came back with an "well, excuse me" type of response). Understandable, but at the same time why is the search box so hard to use? Seems the same questions are asked over and over again, even though the answers are already out there.

casswall Jul 23rd, 2002 08:09 AM

I spent months on this board before leaving for Maui (just got back) and never heard a peep about what turned out to be my favorite place. Tommy Bahamas cafe in Wailea, sunday afternoon, is not be missed -- awesome little band! Mama's was good (give yourself plenty of time to get there) and we liked Lahaina Fish Co. Don't miss happy hour at the Moose, $1 beers everyday from 4-6. Also really liked Ferraros at the Four Seasons. Skip Huma Humas at the Grand Wailea, grossly overpriced for mediocre (being generous) food.

Kristen Jul 23rd, 2002 10:29 AM

Lani,<BR><BR>I would have mentioned A Pacific Cafe, but they closed :( .... all locations. But, we found Roys this year, and it's just as good!