Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui -- Convertible worth it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-convertible-worth-it-500393/)

mar_76 Feb 1st, 2005 05:37 PM

Maui -- Convertible worth it?

Is paying extra for a convertible on Maui worth the cost? Seems to add about $30/day to the rental rate. Alternately, how can I get a deal on renting a convertible (or any other car for that matter). We are going in May, and spending 5 nts on Maui and 7 nts on the Big Island.

jennymary Feb 1st, 2005 05:46 PM

I'd go for a jeep wrangler... much for fun for Maui!

anna_k Feb 1st, 2005 06:01 PM

My suggestion would be to book a compact or standard. You will most likely be able to upgrade once you get there. We were able to upgrade a compact priceline rental on the Big Island for $20 for the week at the rental counter at Avis (we got a very nice Mustang convertible). If I remember correctly, every time I've rented in Hawaii, I've been offered to upgrade to a convertible for a small fee (at most $5 day).

lunabug Feb 1st, 2005 06:15 PM

It's Hawaii. You have to get a convertible. Our family has the best memories of driving through the pouring (I mean pouring) rain in Waikiki in a jeep with no top except for a little 'bikini' top with which we could have covered a small part of the front street drivers. The rain did not last long. You might want to put the roof up if you go to Mt Haleakula in the early AM. It can be quite cool them.

DSMLVR Feb 1st, 2005 06:17 PM

YES YES YES. Had a Chrysler Sebring Convertable in Waikiki and a Jeep Wrangler soft top in Maui. The ONLY WAY TO TRAVEL.

Suzie Feb 1st, 2005 06:54 PM

Absolutely get a convertible! During the last two visits to Hawaii we have gotten them and it's a great way to travel!!!!

kamahinaohoku Feb 2nd, 2005 05:31 AM

A convertible? ABSOLUTELY! A Jeep? Well, personally, I'd rather die than ever ride in one of those again. Way too bumpy (I thought my kidneys would die from shock), and there's No place to put your stuff. But if it's what you want, definitely go for it.

Slw Feb 2nd, 2005 06:17 AM

A dissenting opinion here. We had a convertible on Maui. It was in the 90's every day & leaving the top down was just too hot. We also had trouble with sunburn even with lots of sun block. We were glad the top was UP when it suddenly started to pour on the road to Hana. We did enjoy having the top down when it was a bit cooler in the mornings and early evening. But not enough to have paid the extra.

Suzie Feb 2nd, 2005 07:52 AM

If it gets hot with the top down simply turn on the air conditioning full blast. We thought this gave us a great contrast of warm and cool. Put on your sunscreen and least 30 minutes before you hit the sun.

turtlegirl Feb 2nd, 2005 08:00 AM

You should be able to get a convertib;e for $25 a day on priceline- i got one for an upcoming trip to maui in april 24-may 2. $200 for 8 days plud taxes and fees of about $65 for a total of $265. The only negatives are you don't know which car co. you'll get-i got alamo- and you have to prepay when your bid is accepted

Gellers Feb 2nd, 2005 03:52 PM

I'm going to be the poophead here. I think convertibles are a huge ripoff. I have rented both for various trips to Hawaii and I honestly was just as happy in a compact.

Carol47 Feb 2nd, 2005 05:42 PM

I am also a "NO" vote, but we had four of us and it was really hot in Maui in June. I much preferred the big, cool sedan we rented in Honolulu. It also rained on us on the Road to Hana, which is why I wanted the convertible in the first place! Rented through Alamo and I wasn't impressed with them either. I prefer National and will use them from now on.

travelinfamily Feb 2nd, 2005 05:52 PM

We just returned from Maui a couple of weeks ago and had a convertable and I say ABSOLUTLY YES!!!! It was awesome to be able to see that beautiful island with no obstructions, just breathtaking. I went to United airlines web site and went to car rentals-got one through Alamo at just under $300 for 8 days-cheapest that I could find at the time-then when the trip was almost here I went to price line and got one for $200 for 8 days and it was from Alamo too. I think you can get a great deal from priceline if you wait till it's almost time for the trip. Have fun!! Consider where you will put your luggage in a jeep-no trunk!!

happybluesky Feb 3rd, 2005 06:56 AM

We do, every year. Chrysler Seabring, I think it's called. You really get to see the majestic beauty all around you. Definitely go for it. :)

hoodwinks1 Feb 3rd, 2005 09:48 AM

It makes the road to hana soooo much better. With the top down, the smell of guava is just overwhelming

DSMLVR Feb 4th, 2005 06:25 PM

<< I am also a "NO" vote, but we had four of us and it was really hot in Maui in June.>>

WOW, I thought THAT was the reason to go to HAWAII. It SHOULD be hot. Crank up that air conditioning even with the top down. The ONLY way to fly.

travelenthusiast Feb 5th, 2005 05:18 PM

Definitely and make sure it is bright red!

3pnutz Feb 9th, 2005 02:26 PM

A convertible is a MUST!!! I've been to Maui in May 10 years ago and it was such an awesome and incredible trip that when I returned from my vacation I was so depressed from missing Maui and all the fun that I went out and bought a VW Cabrio conv.!!! It brought back that temporary feeling of Hawaii! Have a great time!!!

martym Mar 7th, 2005 11:31 AM

check out http://hawaiicarrental.com/--I've gotten really good rates from them in the past.

julesj66 Mar 7th, 2005 12:00 PM

I've been to Maui a number of times, and have only rented a convertible once, the last time I went (a red Seabring) ... Loved every second of it. Next trip to Maui it will be rented again.