Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui condos.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-condos-455564/)

j12 Jun 30th, 2004 08:03 PM

Maui condos....

Which is better to stay at Napili Surf Beach Resort or Noelani condos in Lahaina? Anyone have any advice between the two?

sandyca Jul 1st, 2004 07:11 AM

I havent been to either, I wouldnt stay in lahina very touristy and busy. If Napili Surf is in Napili that is very pretty area and quiet. Have you considered staying in Wailea or Kihei on the south end of Kihei, not north end. North is cheaper because it smells sometimes. Southend is very nice and wailea is awesome. Aloha

iamq Jul 1st, 2004 07:49 AM

sandyca,
Could you explain what you mean when you say "the North is cheaper because it smells sometimes"?
Thanks.
-Bill

j12 Jul 1st, 2004 10:11 AM

What are some affordable condos in Wailea?

JohnD Jul 1st, 2004 10:24 AM

We found Grand Champions condo's to be quite a $)bargain, though not on the beach (across the street, adjacent to a golf course).:S-

bdfamilyman Jul 1st, 2004 12:20 PM

We found Maui Kamaole in south Kihei (bordering Wailea) to be quite a value. Would highly recommend to those looking for more affordable condos in south maui. Have seen good reports here on Maui Hill and Kihei Surfside as well, which are nearby to Maui Kamaole.

ATPittsley Jul 1st, 2004 04:08 PM

Anyone heard anything about the Maui Sunset Condos in Kihei?

bonniebroad Jul 1st, 2004 06:08 PM

The Maui Sunset condos......... my sister has stayed there for the past two winters, six-seven weeks at a time. She loved the one she stayed in, not fancy, but comfortable and clean. (That unit was being renovated and sold, and next year she will be in Fla.) She really liked the pool, hot tub, and the beautiful grounds. She doesn't go swimming in the ocean, so had no comment on that but loved the area.

gypsy Jul 1st, 2004 06:15 PM

i'm with Bill -- WHAT SMELL?!

we have reservations on Ohukai (street or avenue?) across the street from the beach. is that north? will it smell? oh, please, somebody answer this question!

thanks
d

pspercy Jul 1st, 2004 09:00 PM

Depends on budget & what you're looking for.
My wife & I have stayed at Noelani twice (2000 and 2002), very pleased both times. It's small, no real beach but great setting close to the water(would be wonderful in whale season). Good prices, AAA rated. Can't comment on the other place you mention tho' Napili Bay is nice but "Blue Bible" seems not too ecstatic www.wizardpub.com
So, again, it all depends on what you're looking for, overall.

turn_it_on Jul 1st, 2004 09:11 PM

We stayed at the Kihei Surfside last July and loved it. Lots of details here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34436140

love
roxy

here_today_gone2Maui Jul 1st, 2004 09:52 PM

The smell is in reference to either the frangrance of decaying seaweed that has washed up on the shore or the smell of dead fish at Kealia Pond. The seaweed has been quite a problem in the past, but I haven't noticed anything this year. But it isn't a constant problem and runs in cycles. The county did buy a digging machine that is supposed to be helping with the problem, and I know that there was talk of buying some kind of storage bins to store the seaweed waste near the beach until it can be removed to a compost area.

The Kealia Pond problem is another issue. During dry conditions, the water level drops and the talapia die. I am sorry to say but Ohukai Rd is about a mile away and anyone in that area is easily in smelling distance. I am not noticing it now, and I am writing this from an office I sometimes work from on Ohukai, but as the summer progresses and the water level drops, it might get a bit fishy.

A by-product of the pond is the midge problem. I have been told that the midges increase as the water level decreases, so later summer is probably a bad time to stay in north Kihei. It also tends to be very dusty and rather windy in that area, especially in the summer.

Mariann Jul 1st, 2004 11:25 PM

I've stayed at Napili Kai Beach Club several times and loved it. It is relaxing and quiet and they have beautiful views from their condos. I've never smelled anything bad and have never heard anyone ever mention this before either. Napili does tend to get a little more overcast than Lahaina. SOme people may not like this.

SandyP Jul 2nd, 2004 12:18 AM

Several family members and I stayed at the Noelani. Altogether we had four units, 1 3BR, 2 1BR's and one studio. All were clean, spacious and nicely decorated. We found the location to be very good for the places we wanted to go: less than 10 min to Napili, 10 or so to Kapalua, 10 or so to Lahaina. The kids loved the oceanview pool.

That said, Napili was by far and away my favorite area, and would probably search for accomodations there. Napili Kai Beach club was great, on the sand and has a wonderful reputation, but is loads more than Noelani. Perhaps try Napili Point, Napili Shores or if near the beach is okay, the non-oceanfront One Napili Way.

Whatever you decide, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

here_today_gone2Maui Jul 2nd, 2004 12:34 AM

Mariann, the smells are in north Kihei, and would have to be really, really bad to be smelled all the way up in Napili!