Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui Condo Recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-condo-recommendation-652326/)

Mlgostyla Oct 11th, 2006 04:21 PM

Maui Condo Recommendation

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Hawaii from the North East in February. I've got the flights and a great condo in Oahu for 5 nights. We'll be spending 8 nights in Maui. I've picked Ka'anapali as the area I want to stay in and want to use another condo. Everything looks so wonderful. Do you have a favorite area in Ka'anapali that you could recommend? The one "must have" is I want to be on the beach. Thank you, Mary

ggrtist Oct 11th, 2006 05:37 PM

for nice oceanfront condos you may want to consider the Napili Bay area, it is not as crowded as Ka'anapali yet close enough to it's action. Several oceanfront condo units have been recommended if you check the search feature.

DawnCt Oct 12th, 2006 05:32 AM

I would look for a great rate at the Ka'anapali Alii. We were there for 9 days in August and we absolutely loved the complex, the unit and the LOCATION. What could be better than to be between the Marriott and the Westin, a close walk to the Whaler's Village, walking distance to the Hyatt, free parking, use of the super clean shiney grills for dinner, and all of that space. We had more than enough room for 6 of us. We found our unit on VRBO.

sherrie Oct 12th, 2006 12:06 PM

I second the vote for the Kaanapali Alii. We stayed in premier (updated) unit in June of this year. It was beautiful. Location is outstanding, within walking distance to Whalers Village and dining options. We rented through greathawaiivacations.com (hope that's right web address) where we received the best rate I could find. It was fabulous and when we go back, we'll definately be staying there again.

egret Oct 12th, 2006 03:37 PM

I agree with the Napili Bay area or Kapalua. These are areas that are very close to Ka'anapali but are more serene and lovely.

pspercy Oct 15th, 2006 07:57 AM

Within Kaanapali also consider The Whaler condos. If you want something less busy (and cheaper)than Kaanapali resort itself, both the Mahana, Maui Kai and the Embassy are on the beach about a mile to the north, as are many older complexes (usually with no a/c).
Take a look at: http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html

Unfortunately Google Earth has poor imagery for that part of Maui.

lynnejoel1015 Oct 15th, 2006 10:15 AM

The Outrigger Mahana came highly recommended to us, and it seems all units have great ocean views. Some pics make it look as if the unit is perched over the Pacific, with windows on all walls facing the ocean. Reasonably priced, too.

iceeu2 Oct 15th, 2006 10:30 AM

Mlgostyla, my friend stayed here last year and really did enjoy this place.

http://www.papakea-rentownerdirect.com/OneBedroom.htm

DawnCt Oct 15th, 2006 04:50 PM

We walked by the Whaler several time and I have to say I was rather turned off by the instructions about cleaning the gas grills. NOT what I want to do on vacation. I thought that the pool was small and rather crowded as well. I absolutely loved the Ali'i and would definately stay there again.

Mlgostyla Oct 15th, 2006 05:29 PM

Thanks for all the great help! I'll start looking into your recommendations and will let you know what I decide.

Mlgostyla Oct 18th, 2006 08:17 PM

I've spent a lot of time looking into this and there are so many options. I think I may be overanalyzing the whole thing. We're going to be in Maui the first week in March and I'm feeling pressure to make a decision before all the good places are gone. I looked into Ka'anapali Alii and The Whaler but they are too expensive that time of year.
This is our first trip to Hawaii and after looking at so many condos and reading reviews, I have an image in my head of what I want this to be for me.
I'm leaning toward Maui Kai or Mahana. I really like the idea of sitting on the lanai, sunsets and whale watching.
My next choice is Napili Bay, there have been a lot of wonderful things said about that area. But, I don't expect there's a lot of whales in Napili Bay.

Lex1 Oct 18th, 2006 11:32 PM

Mlgostyla:

You are just as likely to see whales at Napili as at Ka`anapali. You can't count on home delivery in any place, and, some years the humpbacks go to other islands. As the season progresses, and March is deep in to whale watching season, the mothers and calves move further out from shore. Often, the best way to spot them (aside from a cruise) is to drive to McGregor point or the scenic overlook between east and west Maui, or find high ground in south Maui. I believe Pacific Whale Foundation[.org] has stations during the height of the season where you can get good views and info.

sherrie Oct 19th, 2006 05:21 AM

Mlgostyla: Have you looked at tripadvisor for reviews? It's a really good site to check when researching accommodation options. There are some recent reviews on the Maui Kai that you should see before making your decision. The Napili area always gets good reviews. Good luck with your decision, I know it's mind boggling.

Mlgostyla Oct 19th, 2006 05:30 PM

~~~ Sherrie - thank you for the tip to check tripadvisor on Maui Kai. It was very helpful! I also looked for reviews on Mahana and ALL were positive. I'm hoping to get a place there.
~~~ Lex1 - thanks for your comments on whale watching. I will pursue. Mahana is sounds more attractive for our first trip to Hawaii.

Mahalo ~ ~ ~ Mary

sherrie Oct 19th, 2006 06:29 PM

Glad you were able to check out the reviews. I love to read about everything before I make my final decisions. The Mahana does sound nice. There was a really wonderful trip report from a gentleman that stayed there recently. If you have a chance to read his TR, I think you will get lots and lots of great info. Trying to remember, I think the title of the TR was something like Mama(with a number) and Papa(with a number)'s trip report. It has to be one of the best I have read. I hope you get a chance to enjoy it too.

Lori Oct 20th, 2006 04:55 AM

Glad you checked out Mahana reviews. We have stayed there several times and honestly, view-wise, you cannot do better anyplace on the island. Every single unit is ocean FRONT (not ocean view or partial ocean). We've stayed on 5th floor, 7th floor, 8th and 9th at different times and were thrilled with the view each time. The pool area is small and the actual beach in front of the Mahana is narrow but if you walk a few yards to the left it's fine.

There is a strip of grass between the bldgs and the beach so you are very close.

makai1 Oct 20th, 2006 06:47 AM

aloha!

As many of these units are privately owned, who do you like booking with? ;;)

Mlgostyla Nov 14th, 2006 05:28 PM

Hi everyone!
I want to give you an update on our Maui accommodations. We picked Mahana. We have a 1 br unit for $185 per night. A GREAT Deal! ! ! I found this through VRBO. I have several friends that also have used VRBO and have good things to say. We leave from CT on 2/23 for Oahu and head for Maui on 2/28 until 3/8..... Can't wait! !
ALOHA!

Jessica1107 Nov 16th, 2006 01:29 PM

I will be taking our first family vacation with our two children in 10 days and we are staying at the Kaanapali Ali. I've heard that some units are better than others, some refurbished some not. We've reserved a one bedroom unit. Can anyone reccommend a specific unit number?

sherrie Nov 17th, 2006 12:05 PM

We stayed in 252, I believe. Updated "premier" (that's what they call it) unit. Check out my review on tripadvisor.com. I posted pictures of the unit as well. Good luck.