Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui condo-Kihei Bay Vista or Maui Eldorado? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-condo-kihei-bay-vista-or-maui-eldorado-348452/)

Cindyrella Aug 15th, 2003 06:59 PM

Maui condo-Kihei Bay Vista or Maui Eldorado?

Trying to decide if the extra cost of Maui Eldorado is worth it? Is this property truly on Kaanapali beach? Can't find much info on the Kihei Bay Vista-just that it's across the street from Kam III. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Gerald Aug 15th, 2003 10:49 PM

I stayed at the Eldorado recently for the second time. The property is on the other side of Black Rock from the major hotels (Sheraton, Marriott, Whaler etc.). It is not directly on the beach as there is part of a golf course between the low rise buildings of the Eldorado and the beach. The actual time it takes to walk to the beach depends on which building you are placed in. The closest buildings are just a five minute walk, but the furthest buildings could be at least another 5 minutes longer.

The other thing about the Eldorado is that the quality of the rooms vary greatly. Some units have been kept up to date and are modern and beautiful. Others haven't been renovated in 15 years or longer. I wasn't happy with my first unit and was shown 5 others and the difference in quality and cleanliness was astounding. They'll tell you all units must meet certain standards to be in the rental pool, but those standards must be pretty low. We even spoke to one couple who said that their unit had mice and they learned from one staff member that management knew the unit was infested but didn't want to lose revenue by closing it down during a busy period.

It worked out well for me as I got a great unit, but if I was forced to stay in the original unit offered, it would have put a serious damper on my vacation.

Cindyrella Aug 16th, 2003 07:10 PM

Wow! Thanks for the info. I was also wondering about their beach "cabana". Is it one of those things where you have to get there at 6:00 am to get a lounge chair? I don't mind walking a bit if I don't have to drag beach towels, chairs, cooler, etc.

Gerald Aug 16th, 2003 09:24 PM

The beach cabana wasn't too crowded when I was there. We never had trouble finding lounge chairs available, no matter what time we got there. As well as lounge chairs, they have chair backs that you can use on the beach itself and we often preferred that. The cabana provides towels and has a kitchen that you may use including a refrigerator to keep drinks cold.

Rusty Aug 17th, 2003 06:24 AM

Kihei Bay Vista is not across the street from Kam III. It is not even close to Kam III. Kihei Bay Vista is in North Kihei and Kam III is several miles away in South Kihei.

Gerald has provided an excellent description of the Maui Eldorado. I am not familiar with the Kihei Bay Vista but I know the area and I would not stay in that area. Kaanapali Beach is a much better location than North Kihei

Cindyrella Aug 17th, 2003 11:44 AM

Thanks everyone, you've helped immensely. I've decided to go with the Maui Eldorado-now I just need to decide if I should book through a travel agent or the owner. I found a nice one bedroom condo (newly revonated with new furniture) through vrbo for a great price --$100/nt. I'm just a little nervous considering what Gerald said about the units quality varying so much.

Gerald Aug 17th, 2003 06:58 PM

The biggest benefit of booking directly from an owner is that you can check references and have a pretty good idea of what you're getting. However, if there is a problem, you won't be able to change units. A benefit of booking with Outrigger is that you get daily maid service included in the price, and they will move you to another unit if available if you don't like the unit you first receive.

Lori Aug 18th, 2003 08:07 AM

If you book via the owner direct and the place turns out to be a dump you are out of luck. I'd never book directly with the owner for that reason. Just because they say it is remodeled, etc. it is not necessarily so all the time. If you book directly with the resort/condo and the unit is not to your liking you can ask to see another and move. We've stayed at the Mahana many times and have always asked to see the condo first ... we have always gotten recently remodeled units with nice furniture, etc. but I know that all are not so nice (just look as you go by when the maids are cleaning).

There are minimum standards for owners to keep their units in the rental plan, the key word is minimum. When talking to the manager at the Mahana one year she told us the biggest single problem she had was in convincing owners to remodel and/or buy new furniture, applicances, etc. Some are only interested in a buck, and if they can rent it when it is tired and worn out they will anyway. Always ask to see the unit before taking your luggage up.

Incidentally, you may want to consider the Mahana, all the condos are OCEAN FRONT. There are no views of the parking lot and/or gardens, whatever. The views are absolutely stunning from all rooms as they fact Lanai and Molakai .. sunsets are lovely from the lanais!.

The Eldorado is an older property and not on the beach if I remember correctly. It seemed to be closer to the highway.