Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui and Kauai restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-and-kauai-restaurants-742908/)

Ed_M Oct 15th, 2007 08:39 AM

Maui and Kauai restaurants

We will be returning to Maui and Kauai after several years. Does anyone have suggestions for good restaurants? Thanks.

TahitiTams Oct 15th, 2007 08:54 AM

Maui..
Hula Grill
Mama's Fish House
Plantation House
Kimo's
Sansei
Roy's
Gazebo
Chez Paul

iceeu2 Oct 15th, 2007 08:56 AM

Kauai:
Hamura's Saimen
Lihue BBQ Inn
Kauai Pasta

sessa Oct 15th, 2007 09:46 AM

Here's another vote for Kauai Pasta. The Living Room at the Princeville Hotel was a great place for some cocktails/apps with an awesome sunset view.

volcanogirl Oct 15th, 2007 09:56 AM

We enjoyed Nick's Fishmarket on Maui - good spot to watch the sunset.

memejw Oct 15th, 2007 10:46 AM

Maui:

Mama's Fish House
Cafe O'Lei
Longhi's

cruisin_tigger Oct 15th, 2007 11:06 AM

I really liked Five Palms on Maui.

Princeville Hotel is really great, although the lobby and restaurants are supposed to be under construction sometime this year, so depending on when you visit, you might want to check on that.
http://www.fivepalmsrestaurant.com/

auntiemaria Oct 15th, 2007 11:17 AM

Renovation of Princeville Hotel has been re-scheduled to Spring 2008.

Speaking of restaurants here on Kauai:
Chuck's Steakhouse (Princeville)
Sushi Blues (Hanalei) -- fish, and sushi
Polynesia Cafe (the new one, Kapa`a)
Hukilau Lanai (Kapa`a) -- meatloaf!
Wahoooo (Kapa`a) -- great fish
King & Thai (Kapa`a) -- homecooked Thai
Kalaheo Steakhouse - for beef lovers
Pomodoro (Kalaheo) - best Italian IMHO

Leburta Oct 15th, 2007 12:32 PM

Here are our favoites on Maui and Kauai:

Maui:
Our favorite is the SEAWATCH restaurant (http://www.seawatchrestaurant.com), which is at the Wailea golf course. It has wonderful ocean views and great food. We try to go there every trip to Maui, whether we golf or not.

Hailiimaile General Store
Mama's Fish Market
David Paul's

Kauai:
Hamura Saimin
Gaylord's (http://tinyurl.com/2x7k2)

and if price is no object: the Hanalei Cafe at the Princeville Hotel (http://www.princevillehotelhawaii.com/de_cafe.htm). I've only had breakfast there, but the view was to die for. It was just a plus that the food was good too!

Kerry392 Oct 15th, 2007 02:08 PM

Maui:
-Aloha Mixed Plate (right next to Old Lahaina Luau)
-Bada Bing (pizza in Kihei)

Kauai:
-Island Barbeque (Chinese)
-Kintaro (Japanese)

cm318 Oct 15th, 2007 02:16 PM

Kauai north shore:

Lighthouse Bistro
Postcards

Enjoy!

Songdoc Oct 15th, 2007 02:51 PM

What about breakfast???

in Kapa'a (Kauai)...

KOUNTRY KITCHEN!!!

MonicaH Oct 15th, 2007 06:50 PM

Yeah, what about breakfast?!? I vote for the Tip Top Cafe in Lihue, Kauai. Local cafe with the best banana pancakes in the world!

jinxiejo Oct 15th, 2007 07:24 PM

We loved Dukes Canoe Club on Kauai. It had a fantastic salad bar.

DebitNM Oct 15th, 2007 07:28 PM

From my trip report last year:
Maui -
Dinners -
We had dinner our first night at Leilaniís on the Beach {lower level} at Whalers Village. We were exhausted from a long day that started at 4:30 am Mountain Time. We started off with fried calamari which was delish! It was a very different kind of calamari than we are used too Ė no little rings and squiggly parts. It was long, meaty chunks that were oh so sweet. They were no the least bit greasy and came with a nice spicy dipping sause. We had fish chowder that had all sorts of great things in it and very little potatoes which is how we like our chowder. It was creamy and tasty! I had a nice salad and we called it a night.

Drums of Pacific luau was next dinner; nice luau, ok food.

We used our Entertainment book for dinner on the next dinner and had a stunning meal at Chez Paul, just south of Lahaina. We saved $39 on entrée. The restaurant is small and really looks like something you would find in Paris. The wait staff was attentive but not overbearing and we dined royally on escargot for DH, lobster bisque for me, DH had a seafood in parchment called ďménage a triosĒ with so much seafood and fish that he had a big grin on his face the whole time he consumed it. {Not sure if it was the fresh fish which we canít get in SW or the name of the dish!} and I had a delicious duck. DH had a chocolate flourless cake and I had a pineapple tartan. Truly this was an excellent meal.

We had dinner in Lahaina the next night after our sunset catamaran cruise with Paragon{more about that next report}. We ate at BJís Chicago Pizza. We love pizza and needed a fix, but we arenít that crazy about deep dish. But we had stopped in a couple of stores and asked employees where to get the best pizza and this was the hands down favorite. It comes with very little sauce and chopped tomatoes on the top. I guess a lot of people donít like that and donít know it and it comes as a surprise. We sat at the bar to avoid a long wait and the bartender did tell us this. It was okay pizzy, doughy as Chicago style can be [hey, we are originally NYerís so we like our pizza thin Ė what can I say???]

Last dinner on Maui was at Warrenís and Annabelleís {more on that in next report}. We had prepaid for drinks and pu-pu platter and dessert and it was all surprisingly tasty!

Breakfast

The Gazebo. It was everything everyone on here said it way and more! We had mac- nut bananas with creamy white coconut syrup Ė YUM! We were tempted to order fried rice along with it and when we saw the size of the orders, we were glad we didnít get the rice! The pancakes were the size of a large plate and a short stack brought 2 of these babies each!
We had bagels and coffee and pineapple from Whalerís Village a couple of mornings that we wanted to get out to the beach fast. Thereís a kiosk place in the middle of the village and price was reasonable.

We had breakfast twice at Westin at the café self-serve place again for convenience. We also used this towards our $75 credit. It was expensive of course and nothing special. We had croissant sandwiches, fruit, juice and coffee.

Had lunch at the Sea House next to Napili Bay the first full day because we had made an early start and wanted to get to beach ASAP and didnít want to bother going to Safeway. It was good and convenient.

Has lunch at Westin Villas next day as we were there using the beach. It was expensive, good and again went towards our $75 credit.

By this time we had gone to Safeway and gotten stuff to make sandwiches for lunch for other days.

Seems like yesterday..wish it were!
Debi

dusty56438 Oct 15th, 2007 09:22 PM

These sites may help. They all have good dining guides:

www.kauaimenu.com

www.hawaiidiner.com

www.alternative-hawaiii.com

www.driveguidemagazines.com

This one has a really good restaurant section:

www.mauihawaii.org

dusty56438 Oct 15th, 2007 10:26 PM

One too many i's in the Alternative-Hawaii site.

Should be:

www.alternative-hawaii.com

MBnancy Oct 15th, 2007 10:32 PM

Poipu area in Kauai:
Beach House
Dondero's and Tidepools at the Hyatt
Roy's
Plantation Garden
Keoiki's Paradise

kauai_aka Oct 15th, 2007 10:54 PM

i second tip top for great oxtail soup.

Odin Oct 16th, 2007 12:04 AM

Maui
Thai Chef in Lahaina. They serve the most authentic Thai food outside of Thailand IMO. It's a modest little restaurant by a supermarket, usually full.

Kauai
Beach House
Kalaheo Steak house
Pomodoro Italian
For inexpensive lunch, the plate lunches at Koloa fish market
Ono Family Restaurant in Kapaa