Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui and Kauai resorts and locations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-and-kauai-resorts-and-locations-160992/)

Don Feb 15th, 2002 11:36 AM

Maui and Kauai resorts and locations

I am planning a two Island honeymoon for the end of September '02. 5 full days on Maui and 4 on Kauai. I have filtered the hotel selections down on each island based on opinions on Fodors as well as best available pricing. I have considered location on each island, tourism, and service, rooms, and amenities at each hotel. My largest problem seems to be the confusion arising from all the postings here as to location on each island. (ie. Maui: some say Kaanapali is far too overrun with crowds, however, others say that Wailea is far too isolated. Is either choice good for us? Or Kauai: The north shore vs. south shore. I am aware of the rain/beauty of the north shore but do not want the honeymoon to be rained out!) On Kauai I am trying to decide between the Hanalei Bay Resort (concerned about the walk to the beach and pool area, but like the pricing), Kauai Marriott (concerned about the Lihue location close to the airport as opposed to the North or South shore), and the Sheraton Kauai (Concered about price as I would have to pay for an ocean view room because I hear the garden view rooms are not worth the money when comparing the other two resorts.) The Hyatt and the Princeville Resort I ruled out because they are too expensive. Plus we saw a Travel Channel tv show on the Princeville and it was very un-hawaiian looking and too stuffy. The pricing I have found would place these hotels, least to most expensive, as Hanalei Bay, Kauai Marriott, Sheraton Kauai.<BR>On Maui I am trying to decide between the Renaissance Wailea Beach (concerned with drive time to restaurants and activities), the Westin Maui (I hear tons of positively great and bad things for this resort), and the Sheraton Maui (Most expensive pricing out of Maui selections. And I have heard the hotel itself, beyond the location, is quite plain when compared to the others?). The pricing I have found would place these hotels, least to most expensive, as Westin Maui, Renaissance Wailea, Sheraton Maui. Opinions? As a activities background we like snorkeling, a great beach, sightseeing, restaurant selection, and a bit of shopping. Going to night clubs is not a priority as we will be on a honeymoon, but we don't want to end up having to sit in our room from lack of activity in the evenings. Although late at night the room will be preferable :)<BR>I know this posting is awfully long, but I want people to know my likes and concerns regarding the places to stay. I will appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

susan Feb 15th, 2002 02:32 PM

Hi,<BR>We were in maui for christmas. We have children, but if I was on my honeymoon I would have chosen wailea over kaanapali because I felt the beaches were nicer and it had a more romantic atmosphere. We were also confused about where to stay so we split our time between outrigger wailea--very nioce hotel with a great entertainment rate. Then we went to the marriott on kaanapali. The resort was nicer but lacked hawaiaan charm imo. They were nicer to us at the outrigger,pools were nice, service good and it was beautiful to watch the waves crash upon the rocks in the front of the hotel. There was ulea beach to its right which is a great snorkeling beach. It was very laid back with nice lounge chairs to watch the sunset by the rock area. I felt the resort was spread out more to give you a more open, airy feel. the kaanapali area were resorts that were closer together. We did not go to kauai but I have been doing research on it because we plan to go next xmas. I think the marriott would be a great choice. Many post have said the airport is not loud and its a beautiful resort. Join the starwood club and receive 30% off. Good Luck<BR><BR>Susan

Julie Feb 15th, 2002 03:23 PM

I haven't stayed at either the Sheraton or the Marriott on Kauai, but I spent the day on the beach at each one (while my husband golfed :-)) Both have nice beaches. The Marriott location is actually quite nice, their pool is huge and very pretty and you can get a massage right on the beach.

Debbie S Feb 15th, 2002 03:40 PM

We spent 4 days at the Marriot on Kauai. It was last year in Feb. It was Fabulous!!! We didn't do any touristy things there as we were tired from Oahu and Maui. But we stayed at the resort and swam and relaxed. The planes didn't bother us in the least. We enjoyed ourselves there the most. The pool was awesome. The grounds were beautiful. It was just a great vacation!!!

Kelly Feb 15th, 2002 06:48 PM

About Kauai....agree with other's opinions that the airport/flights are not distracting at the Kauai Marriott. I have stayed there three times in the past several years, and was never bothered by the planes. Duke's (at the resort) is a great place to eat and reasonably priced. The Beach House is also very nice with a beautiful view (a little pricey but what the heck!). Gaylord's is also very romantic but not next to the ocean. As for activities, I highly recommend the Na Pali Coast boat tours....we went with the Blue Dolphin Co and had great experiences both times. In fact, I can easily say it was the highlight of the trips. The boat tours are much better IMO than a helicopter tour....up close and personal! And you must check out Poli Hale (?) beach. Not easy to get to, but well worth the effort. Happy honeymooning!!!

Don Feb 18th, 2002 11:12 AM

Thanks to all of you for your opinions. I am quite glad to hear that the Kauai Marriot seems to have won favor in Kauai out of the hotels I was considering.<BR>Does anyone have any other opinions on the Maui hotels?<BR><BR>Don<BR>

ast Feb 18th, 2002 12:42 PM

I can't speak specifically about the hotels in Maui, but I stayed in Wailea last Sept. I didn't think that we were isolated at all. We did a lot of activities and most would have been about an equal drive from both resort areas...(Volcano bike tour, Hwy to Hana, Helicopter tour). Many snorkeling trips actually left from Kehie, which is 5-10 minutes from Wailea. We had no trouble finding places to eat or ways to entertain ourselves in our downtime.

Gina Feb 18th, 2002 03:45 PM

Don,<BR>Last summer my boyfriend and I went to Maui and stayed 5 nights in Kapalua, to avoid the rush of Kaanapali. It was a bit rainy, but we loved it, and talked ourselves into believing it was much nicer than anyplace on Kanaapali or the Renaissance Wailea (our other top choice). <BR><BR>Well, when we took a drive down to Wailea, our hearts fell - it was absolutely gorgeous. We consoled ourselves with the thought that Wailea is much more a "honeymoon place" - and are headed back there for our own next September!<BR><BR>For sure I would tell you to go off the beaten path for your honeymoon. Kanaapali was too busy for us even during a non-honeymoon. And, driving around Maui is beautiful, especially if you have a convertible or Jeep, so we didn't mind long drives a few times - once we went almost 90 minutes for dinner! And there is plenty of dining, etc. in Wailea if you are only there 5 days.<BR><BR>One last hint - the Entertainment book has 50% off coupons for the Renaissance.

Maureen Feb 18th, 2002 04:06 PM

Don, I'm so impressed that you are taking the time to plan a wonderful honeymoon. I too found it difficult to chose a location in Maui. We've stayed in Kaanapali and Wailea. We really enjoyed Wailea. Just felt more "Hawaiian" to me and much nicer in general. We had plenty to do at night. We never missed a "happy hour" at the Outrigger. As the sun sets, the tiki torches come on and a section of the outdoor pool area is converted to a stage for live hawaiian music and a hawaiian dancer. Went to wonderful restaurants each night for dinner. One night we did go to Lahaina to see the Feast at Le Le (upscale luau, expensive but fabulous). Drive wasn't too bad coming home. Wherever you stay, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip. Congratulations to you and your fiance!

david Mar 8th, 2002 06:49 PM

I too am planning a late Sept early Oct '02 honeymoon. Planning on 6 nights in Kauai and 4 in Maui.<BR>I am considering the Renaissance Wailea in Maui (as well as Sheraton in Kaanapali). I can't view many pictures of the Reaissance on their website. Any opinions would be much apprecited. In Kauai I am also considering the Kauai Marriot Resort, an affiliate of the Renaissance. It seems a bit distant from the Poipu area where I hear the Beaches are magnifacent. Any comments on that? How are the ammenities, rooms, BEACHES etc at the Marriot.<BR>Are these locations a big step down from the Hyatt's and 4 Seasons?

Kathleen Mar 9th, 2002 06:57 AM

Hi Don,<BR><BR>My husband and I went to Kauai for our honeymoon last April (2001). You are going to love it!! We're going back again this June, only with family and friends. I have to tell you that the most important thing to think about when you decide where to stay is this.... Kauai doesn't have many streetlights on the roads, so once the sun goes down.... you better be close to home and know exactly where you are going. I know that this sounds kind of odd, but my husband and I would go out at night and would plan things that were close to where we were staying incase we wanted to drink. I would investigate the places that you want to visit and decide if you want the North Shore or the South Shore. This will help you decide where you want to stay. We were on the North shore, in Princeville and that too has some issues at night. If you go into Hanalei from the South, you have to go over the one lane bridges. Just the fact that it is very dark out at night and the curves in the road made us think about staying close to home at night and traveling during the day. Even though we stayed in a condo, it felt like we were living in Princeville Hotel. They have a place called the living room that we went to almost every night for drinks while the sunset. When my husband and I go back for our 10 year anniversary I would love to stay there. If you can afford it... that is the way to go. Please remember that food on the islands can be extremely expensive...especially at the Princeville Hotel. I've never seen the rooms, so I can't say how the stay will be, but we went there about four of our seven nights on the island and the valet welcomed us by name after the second day.... and we weren't even staying there. Even if you don't stay on the North shore.... go to KEe beach and Tunnels to snorkel and eat at the Dolphin restaurant and by all means, watch at least one sunset in the living room. If you decide on the Hanalei Bay, then you are right next door to the Princeville hotel and you can get to the beach from through the hotel. We were told to do that by our timeshare place. Make sure to get a convertible car and buy a Hawaiian music CD to play because sometimes you can't get stations in on the radio. Enjoy you time on Kauai.. take a helicopter ride if you can. Above all.... enjoy your time in paradise!!<BR><BR>PS: Tell everyone that you are on your honeymoon and ask them to take your picture together. <BR><BR>PSS: It will rain no matter where you are, but its warm rain, if that makes a difference. Generally it doesn't last long, and it is actually kind of an adventure when you are on an island.<BR>

kal Mar 9th, 2002 11:03 AM

Aloha Don, Dave and all,<BR><BR>When you think Marriott v. Poipu Sheraton on Kauai....think Marriott=Kalapaki Bay.<BR>Poipu Sheraton=Ocean. <BR><BR>So, a bay or ocean choice should be considered. If you go Sheraton, I suggest getting the ocean view.<BR>Marriott is more of a central location on Kauai, tho.<BR><BR>Re Dukes at the Marriott...We loved "Taco Tuesdays"! $2.00 fish tacos and $2.00 draft beers from 4-6pm (I think it was 4-6). Great salad bar too.<BR>Johnny "Woo" is our fave cook there.<BR><BR>We also enjoyed the pool restaurant at the Marriott, Kukui's even tho some of our friends found the service lacking.<BR><BR>Kathleen is correctamundo on the no street lights. One of the scariest times I've ever had driving was coming back from a "Polihale sunset-Brick Oven Pizza" trip to the west end. We got hit with one of the biggest rain storms I've EVER driven thru. The wipers couldn't keep up, no street lights, shoulder white line not always painted...and...I had LASIK eye surgery a few months earlier, so night vision still coming around! Cheee-wawa! It came outta nowhere.<BR><BR>But the sunset and whole wheat, garlic drenched pizza was well worth the danger!<BR><BR>If you pick the Poipu location, don't forget the under rated Kiahuna Joe's restaurant at the Kiahuna Golf Course. Kiahuna Joes' Scramble for breakfast.<BR> <BR>A Typical "Joe's" but instead of spinach they use taro. Kick it up a notch and ask for some diced jalapenos. They may ask if you know me! <BR><BR>Mahalo and 293 mo' days,<BR>Kal

David Mar 9th, 2002 06:09 PM

Thanks to all the posts and everyones feedback I believe my fiance and I have mde our decision on where to stay.<BR>We are goin to stay at the Hyatt in Kauai for 6 nights and tan stay at the Hyatt in Maui for 5 nights. Ifigure you can't go wrong with these locations. Also, I got the impression that the extra night they throw in is not exactly free. You are paying for it in the 5 prior nights. Same with the breakfast It is all in the fees. If you do the math, you will find that it is all very carefully calculated. No one gives anything away for free in Hawaii. Hawaii ad its economy thrive on tourism. The longer they can keep you tere the more money flowing in. But who cares. In the end its heaven on earth.

NSS Mar 9th, 2002 10:11 PM

Dear Don,<BR>Just back from Kauai, 7 fab days in paradise. I have been to the Islands over twenty times and stayed at almost all the resorts mentioned. Don't do the Hyatt(in Kauai..been there, done that!!!)Overated, overpriced, great spa..but that is it. No beach, bad food..you get the picture. Kauai is small enough that you really can get anywhere you want to go in about one hour. You can usually find a sunny spot somewhere on the island. I really believe that there is no place more beautiful than Hanalei on a sunny day. The tricky part is the "sunny day"...but September seems to be a good time to go. We stayed in Poipu in a condo right next to the Sheraton, great beach, okay snorkeling. I would opt for the Marriot..central location,could spend the day up north or go west to the sunny drier side of the island. <BR> In Maui, our favorite hotel IN THE WORLD is the Kea Lani in Wailea. Most hotels do have the fifth night free. This hotel is worth every penny...Total understated elegance, great food, pool, beach, beach walk along the ocean. Save Kananapali for after you have kids. (Although the best snorkeling around is in Kannapali at the black rock or out at Molokini.) I would strongly suggest visiting the Kea Lani website..A Leading Hotels of the World. Aloha and Best Wishes...Nancy

nan Mar 10th, 2002 10:03 AM

Don, <BR><BR>You can check out my reply in "Good hotels and restaurants" regarding Kauai and Hanalei Bay Resort. I hope it helps. One thing I forgot to mention was the cats that roam around outside on the H.B.R. grounds, very charming and cute!

Don Mar 11th, 2002 08:01 AM

Thanks a lot to everyone that has given advice to me so far. Here is my update:<BR><BR>Based on recommendations from everyone I went with the Wailea area and the Renaissance Wailea Resort for my Maui selection. Then just recently Starwood hotels started a new "cash & points" promotion for preferred guests that saved us a ton of money. Hence, we changed our Wailea hotel to the Westin Maui in Kaanapali, which nobody commented on but it is considered one of the best from what I have read elsewhere.<BR><BR>For Kauai, I am still undecided. The same Hotels are in the running and all pricing is within $50 a night difference between resorts. I am looking for a different experience on Kauai than Maui and the Sheraton and Hanalei Bay Resort look nothing like the Westin on Maui. Anybody have anymore to share on the Kauai hotels? We are planning a Helicopter ride to the Napali coast, a trip to Fern Grotto and the Canyon.

nan Mar 12th, 2002 12:30 PM

Don,<BR>I'm happy to give you more info on Hanalei Bay Resort. In 1996 when we were there. We were very please with the accomodations and grounds. Back then, I believe that the suites/rooms where privately own but managed for visitors. We had an oceanview one bedroom suite (big) with another adjoining bedroom (kind of small but open to the outside.) It had very nice upscale furnishings with all amenities you could want. It had beautiful white 100% cotton carpet. It had a nice size kitchen, well stocked. Very well maintained. The lanai was open to perfectly manicured golf quailty grass. Off to the right was a marshy area. You have to like to walk there because there is a lot of hilly paths to get to the pool, car or beach but you can call for transportation if you want. The staff was very nice. Another thing that was very nice, there is no one on top or bottom of you, it's just one level condos/suites/rooms. Very different from a common hotel. <BR><BR>Kauai, is very different from Kaanapli. This is a slower paced island and the sublime environment lends well to focusing more on yourself and spouse and being happy your alive in paradise. Plus, I think the locals are nice, they are not as jaded by tourist, like in Maui. Kauai represents real Hawaii to me.<BR><BR>I think the north side of the island is a good location for the things you want to do. Please don't make the mistake we made by not visiting Poipu's beaches.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

lori Mar 12th, 2002 07:11 PM

Don, We just stayed at The Sheraton Kauai in Feb. We took advantage of their Starwood program and saved 35% off the room. We had a deluxe ocean front room for $286.00 per night. We were in one of the buildings that overlooked the pool and Poipu Beach. Our room was on the top floor (actually the buildings only have four floors) and it had a cathedral type ceiling so it made the room appear to be larger than your average room. They also had another beachfront building that overlooked the ocean but at the quieter end of the resort. We had our kids so I really can't tell you if I thought it was romantic! The beach was<BR>wonderful. Perfect for lounging and swimming. We even had the pleasure of having the endangered monk seal beach on shore for awhile. As far as eating we only ate the breakfast buffet at the hotel. It was good but kind of expensive. It think it was like $20.00 per person. But then again you're paying for the location which is spectacular. You never have to leave this hotel to see a beautiful sunset. We walked through the grounds of the Hyatt. It looked very nice but we didn't care for the beach. The water was rough and the beach had sticks on it. We really enjoyed staying there. Good luck on your selections.

Brenda Mar 24th, 2002 11:03 PM

Don, have you considered staying in a condo rather than a hotel? Condos are so convenient and its like having a home away from home, so to speak. No having to go out for all your meals, and you can prepare a small snack,or breakfast on your lanai in your pajamas etc..It really can be a comfortable and relaxing accommodation, plus can be less expensive than those high cost hotel meals. Just thought I'd throw this out for your consideration as Kauai and Maui have lots of really nice condos.

Jackie Mar 25th, 2002 05:12 AM

Go to wizard.pub.com. They have aerial shots of all properties. I agree with condo rather than hotel. You can get great rates renting directly from owners thru sites such as vrbo.com. Have a wonderful time.