Maui and Kauai Activities - When to Book

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui and Kauai Activities - When to Book

Hello All!

My fiancé and I are traveling to Hawaii on our honeymoon in the second half of October. We decided on 6 days/6 nights on Maui at the Sheraton Black Rock in Kaanapali and 6 days/5 nights on Kauai at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu. We have a list of potential activities/restaurants we would like to enjoy while we are in Hawaii and I was hoping to get some input on how far in advance we should book these activities as well as which activities are must-dos/what can be skipped. I don't want our honeymoon to feel too planned out or jam-packed with activities, so we will not be doing all of these. I am worried about making sure activities don't sell out on us, so it would be great to know a timeline for bookings and any recommendations on companies to use for some of the these would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking it would be reasonable to have one full day adventure/road trip, one half day activity, one nicer dinner out, and one dinner/activity on each island, leaving the rest of the time for exploring and relaxing at our leisure. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Maui:
-Road to Hana
-Haleakala sunrise/bike down the mountain (probably on the first day since we will be up early from the jet lag)
-1/2 day (morning) snorkeling at Molokini
-Iao Valley
-Old Lahaina Luau (I've heard to book 2 months in advance)
-Dinner at Mama's Fish House or Merrimans (how far in advance to book dinner at sunset?)

Kauai:
-Day trip to the North Shore
-Helicopter Tour
-Waimea Canyon
-Captain Andy's sunset dinner cruise on the Na Pali Coast
-Dinner at the Beach House (again, how far in advance to book dinner at sunset?)
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:33 AM

Just an alternative -- there's a Merriman's on Kauai, too - so have drinks at sunset at the Beach House and then head over to Merriman's or Josselin's (they're in the same center) for dinner itself.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:42 AM

For the trip to the North Shore and visit to Waimea Canyon, no need to book anything, you just drive yourself there. Do not forget to also visit Koke'e State Park north (above) Waimea Canyon for the views of the Kalalau Lookout. Good hiking there also. I just booked the helicopter when we were on Kauai. Book the Beach House a few weeks in advance. Take the Southern Star, Captain Andy's new boat. New since my last trip but popular, so no idea how far in advance to book. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't include road to Hana. You have too many things to do in such a short time (as you mentioned).

Haleakala is absolutely amazing, but you can go up anytime in a rental car. Personally I would not want to go up in the dark/middle of the night in order to see sunrise, and I would definitely NOT want to bike down! You might want to read up on this one a bit more, there's tons of discussion on this forum about the various times of day to go and about the safety (lacking) of the bike ride down thing.

Old Lahaina Luau is wonderful (I didn't expect to love it as much as I did!) and yes you need to book in advance. Feast of Lele is another possibility in Lahaina that is a smaller venue and more dinner theater type setting.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 06:28 PM

As other response has said, day trip to North Shore and Waimea Canyon do not need any advance planning. You'll drive yourself there. Just check weather for your Canyon drive as you really want a clear day. I've been there when we were actually in the clouds as we got to the top, and we couldn't see anything....it's a bit of a drive so make sure you have a nice clear day. It's well worth it.
I'd also say 2 weeks in advance for Beach House. There is not another restaurant on the South Shore with as great a view. To me that is its draw. Definitely plan on asking for sunset seating.....Have a great time. Kauai is gorgeous.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 07:28 AM

I suggest you ask the Emergency Room staff at the hospital, the MFD search and rescue teams, the MPD and the Maui Coroner if they think the bike ride is a good idea. There have been many DEATHS, many more SERIOUS/CRITICAL accidents, and countless broken bones and abrasions requiring medical treatment. Many of the accidents are not the victims fault but a chain reaction of avoiding others or cars not paying enough attention and caution.

DO NOT DO IT ON YOUR FIRST MORNING!!! Your own jet lag, inexperienced fellow bikers, and jet lagged unfamiliar and tired drivers is the perfect storm for disaster. I personally won't go up for sunrise unless I plan on doing some hiking because I do not want to make the decent trying to avoid bike riders who are all over the road - a very windy road with many dangerous bends.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 07:42 AM

That said, the ride has better safety records since they have been banned from the first few miles of the park after 3 fatalities and a few serious injuries in one year. They now start further down, outside of the park. Understanding the risk, if you still want to do it, then consider later in the week because you want to be completely alert and not distracted by the views.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:39 AM

No to the bike ride down Haleakala. Yes to going up there any time of day and hiking into the crater a bit. Take water. Wear hats. If you go early, stay and explore Upcountry a bit. Check out hippy Paia Town. Maybe spend an hour at eerie Iao Valley in Wailuku.

Skip Road to Hana. You'll have plenty of heavily tropical scenery on Kauai.

Try LUNCH at Mama's Fish House -- when you can see something and not have to drive back across the island in the dark. Do one of the luau in Lahaina Town. Stay in West Maui for dinners. Sample the beaches and ogle the posh hotels in South Maui, stopping in Wailea for lunch.

Good snorkeling from shore. Molokini is over-used; only book very first trip out. People like the Trilogy catamaran trips to Lanai.

Beach House? I could skip that with no regrets.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 02:52 PM

Can only speak for Kauai as it has been years since I have been to Maui. Once I discovered Kauai, I was hooked. I would skip Beach House on Kauai. Very touristy and the last 2 times we did not have great meals so done with that. Sit on the grass and watch the sun set - that is awesome. Roys is noisy but good food. Keoki's paradise has a great atmosphere - very tropical and the food is average but the decor is great. I hear there are Fish Taco for $1.00 at Dukes on tuesday. Not sure if that is still the case. Did not care for Dukes overall but might go and try their tacos on our next trip. Thanks for tips on Joselins. have to try that on our next trip. A couple of the restaurants at the Hyatt on Kauai are very good and the Stevenson Library is good for major appetizers and drinks....Aloha, I am so jealous that you are going now and I have to wait until next March.....
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 05:07 PM

There is a safe bike ride down Haleakala. Aloha Bike Tours www.mauibike.com. Marc Friezner runs all the trips and has for years.

You take the van up the mountain with a group but you ride down with just your husband, at your own pace, not with a group of riders. Marc encourages you to take your time and enjoy the beautiful views. He follows with a van and trailer in case you have a problem.

They also meet you at the flower farm, load your bike on the trailer and take you up the hill to the winery. The other bike tours don't go that way. There are some beautiful views that way and there are no other bikers.