Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui & Kau Trip - Which one first? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-and-kau-trip-which-one-first-518726/)

ksoza Apr 5th, 2005 11:00 AM

Maui & Kau Trip - Which one first?

Planning a two island trip in mid summer, probably 5 or 6 days each - GW in Wailea & Hyatt on Kaui. Flying from east coast (ugh!), which island first since both are very different?

Laid back (Kaui) first or busy (Maui) first?

marshall531 Apr 5th, 2005 11:05 AM

Hi, We just got back from six nights in kauai and five nights in Maui. We started in Kauai first and then finished in Maui. I would definitely have preferred to start in maui and then finish relaxing in Kauai. we stayed at the hyatt in kauai and you will not be disappointed. I am not sure about the grand walea in maui but the hyatt maui was so so crowded. Actually all of maui was packed with people whereas in kauai you felt you died and went to heaven. So in answer to your question maui first then kauai. Any other questions email me at marshall [email protected]

gigib Apr 5th, 2005 11:05 AM

You will have awful jetlag, no matter which you do first! Perhaps relax in Kauai, then re-energize for Maui. It's not THAT busy! Will it be easier for you to get all the way to Maui first, or will Kauai involve an extra flight leg? An extra leg may be easier to handle on the way home.

regalada Apr 5th, 2005 11:08 AM

Coming from the East Coast, we did Maui first because it seemed like Maui had the most activities for which waking up early in the morning would be beneficial, like the road to Hana and Haleakala, plus that being our first time we thought Maui would be easier to get our bearings (we did the Big Island in the middle). We also wanted to save the last few days of our vacation for relaxing on the beach and Kauai was perfect for that. The only drawback was that Kauai was so amazingly beautiful it was very hard to leave!

endlessvacation Apr 5th, 2005 02:39 PM

Hi! The saying goes "Save the best for last". Do Maui first. You will fall in love with Kauai especially if you stay at the Hyatt. Can't wait to go back, hopefully for xmas.
Karen

suze Apr 5th, 2005 04:31 PM

<all of maui was packed> really? the entire island? every nook & crany? i find that a little hard to believe.

I would start with Maui only because I am afraid of Kauai because of its rep for rainfall. so i'd work on my tan first on maui.

MBnancy Apr 5th, 2005 09:45 PM

I would do Maui first as it is really crowded, then on to Kauai and the Hyatt for old Hawaii. It has always been sunny for us in Poipu the last 4 times we have been there in Aug. Very tropical and restful. More rain in the north. Save the helicopter ride for Kauai.
8-)

marshall531 Apr 6th, 2005 07:50 AM

Hi Suze,
I detected a little sarcasm in your mail. NO NOT THE ENTIRE ISLAND WAS CROWDED. And you obviously having been there no that is not the case. In fact if you read my trip report the drive up halekala and the road to hana were very peaceful but the lahaina area and the kanapali area were very crowded. In fact riding along highway 30 into lahaina the traffic was just like it is in my hometown. Taking fifteen minutes to go one half a mile. As I had also stated maui is very pretty but just having spent six days in Kauai made maui even seem that much more crowded. If you are going to make suggetions please try and be more respectful of others on this site.

tom42 Apr 6th, 2005 09:00 AM

marshall - don't get your feathers so ruffled - I think that suze was just making a joke.

It's interesting how people's perspectives are different - We recently returned from an Oahu (Waikiki) - Maui (Kapalua) trip and said that if we did it again, we would go to quiet Maui first (to recoup after the jet lag) and busy Waikiki second so we are not tired and able to take advantage of the more available nightlife.

suze Apr 6th, 2005 09:17 AM

Marshall, I do not feel I was being disrespectful to posters on this site and it was not a little sarcasm it was a LOT of it (also known as a joke). Read again what you wrote:

1st: "Actually all of maui was packed with people..."

2nd: "NO NOT THE ENTIRE ISLAND WAS CROWDED."

lighten up guy :-)

suze Apr 6th, 2005 09:29 AM

Actually I only went to the crowded places on Maui, Lahaina was my favorite.

Toro Apr 6th, 2005 11:01 AM

ksoza said that they are staying in Wailea. If I had to pick 10 adjectives to describe Wailea, "busy" would not be one of them. I think the "busy" stereotype is more for Lahaina than Wailea and even that is misleading. It's frickin' Hawaii for crying out loud - it's all relaxing.

If you are biking Haleakala (as many h-mooners do) you might want to consider Maui first, especially if you schedule it for your first full day. You have to get up at like 2am to go up the mountain which works out to be a little closer to the mainland rise and shine time thus reducing jet lag.

However, I have seen this question a thousand times and I'm convinced there is no correct answer - everyone is different. Just remember that you are going to have a rock star time no matter what you decide.

ksoze Apr 6th, 2005 01:00 PM

I found Wailea to be much more laid back than Lahaina, but having the two locations driveable was once of the things we enjoyed about Maui. The actual drive was not that bad, and I remember some views of rainbows after the tunnel heading NW that made for some stunning pictures.

Not having been to Kaui before, my original plan was to hit Maui first and end in Kaui. My biggest fear at this point is I may not want to leave once again ;-)