Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui 7 day trip itinerary (with toddler) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-7-day-trip-itinerary-with-toddler-1133008/)

babs4204 Sep 28th, 2016 06:14 AM

Maui 7 day trip itinerary (with toddler)

Help! We're traveling to Maui with our toddler. We're staying at Honua Kai for 5 nights, then Hyatt Regency for 2 nights late October (to take advantage of the pool etc). I need help planning an itinerary, mix of down time + active time (husband gets bored easily), while also incorporating a toddler nap somehow. I also want to avoid heavy mosquito areas - going to start trying for a second baby soon and Zika paranoid (I know it's not there just yet I still worry).
Some questions:
-Is GPS on your phone reliable in Maui, or should I splurge for the rental car GPS?
-Made dinner reservations for Mama Fish (5:30pm, Tuesday), but what else can I combine into that trip from Kanapaali? Due to mosquito worries I'm guessing we should avoid Hana? Is lunch at Mama's really cheaper? I only see one menu on the site.
-Old Lahaina Luau - thought we'd do this and Whalers Village last two nights at Hyatt Regency.
-downtown Lahaina - is this best to go in the morning?
-Halakeau Crater (spelling) - is this really worth the drive? How long would it stay to get there, and what else should we combine in that trip?
-Blowhole (not sure how to do this, how to get there?)
-Snorkeling - hubby LOVES snorkeling, any recommendations would be great.
-Lastly - we have a 6 hour layover in Honolulu on the way back. Should we leave the airport? If so what should we do?

thanks!

fishee Sep 28th, 2016 10:29 AM

We are doing a 11 night trip with 2 toddlers in Maui (Wailea, Hana, and Napili.)

I wouldn't do Hana with a toddler as a daytrip since it's a ton of driving.

I'm looking forward to responses to your post. I plan on renting a toddler bed and a bin of age-specific toys from Nokaoi Baby Rentals, very affordable and outstanding reviews:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/nokaoi-baby-rentals-kihei

suze Sep 28th, 2016 11:32 AM

Haleakala is most definitely worth the drive! It is absolutely spectacular. I don't think you have to go for sunrise though, my family didn't want to get up that early or drive it in the dark. We went after breakfast, mid-morning.

Yes to the Old Lahaina Luau!!

Yes to a walk around the town of Lahaina, doesn't matter time of day.

I would skip the drive to Hana, but not because of fear of mosquitos, just too much driving with a little one in tow.

nanabee Sep 28th, 2016 01:11 PM

-Is GPS on your phone reliable in Maui, or should I splurge for the rental car GPS?
------------------------------------------------------------------

While in the Big Island last Feb we used Google - GPS on our Smart Phone and had no problems at all. I wouldn't spend the extra money for GPS on a car rental.

nanabee Sep 28th, 2016 01:14 PM

I second suze's suggestions. We went mid morning to Haleakala and it was fine. Personally I would have preferred to go for the sunrise but my travel partner didn't want to get up early either.

We also we to Lahaina many times and at various time during the day and early evening. It is a cute little tourist town with lots to do.

vincenzo32951 Sep 28th, 2016 01:48 PM

>>-Is GPS on your phone reliable in Maui, or should I splurge for the rental car GPS?<<

Phone GPS worked fine for us.

>>-Made dinner reservations for Mama Fish (5:30pm, Tuesday), but what else can I combine into that trip from Kanapaali?<<

Maybe make a slight detour to Makawao. Small town with some interesting art galleries and shops, if that's what you're into.

>>Due to mosquito worries I'm guessing we should avoid Hana?<<

Avoid Hana with a toddler. It can be a grueling drive, especially if you're relying on one driver.

>>Is lunch at Mama's really cheaper? I only see one menu on the site.<<

I'm not sure, but I thought the menu for lunch was the same. Call them and ask.

>>downtown Lahaina - is this best to go in the morning?<<

Probably, if it's before the cruise ships unload.

>>-Snorkeling - hubby LOVES snorkeling, any recommendations would be great.<<

Near Kaanapali? Maybe Black Rock Beach. If you want to take a ride down to Kihei/Wailua, the beaches on S. Kihei Road can be OK for snorkeling, but it's best done in the a.m., before the winds pick up.

>>-Lastly - we have a 6 hour layover in Honolulu on the way back. Should we leave the airport? If so what should we do?<<

You could sneak in a trip to the USS Arizona Memorial and its surrounding area. The bus from the airport takes about 15-20 mins each way, but if you're pressed for time, you may want to consider a taxi. Or take the bus one way and a taxi back. Reserve your timed tix ahead.

logandog Sep 28th, 2016 02:13 PM

We had lunch at Mama's earlier this month and the menu and prices (yikes!) are the same.
My first time there, and my last, but I enjoyed the experience.

fishee Nov 4th, 2016 02:20 PM

babs -- how was your trip and were there highlights (and lows you can warn me about) for you and the kids?