Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui 5 day 1st timer (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-5-day-1st-timer-521684/)

rebroc Apr 16th, 2005 09:03 AM

Maui 5 day 1st timer

My boyfriend and I are going to Maui for 5 nights in June. Staying at the Maui Kai condos. We are both in our mid 30's and spend too much time working. We are on overload. He has never been on a vacation in his life and it's been almost 5 years since my last. I'd like to give him some great memories of this trip while still getting enough time to relax. I'd like to do some snorkeling, take a day trip to Lanai, bike down Haleakala and do the Hana drive with hiking to Oheo Gulch while still being able to spend some time laying on the beach. It's seems like alot to squeeze into a few days. Can anyone give me some good suggestions on how to handle this? Will do a luau as well, Old Lahaina or Feast? Which is more authentic? Thanks to all in advance.

sceneisle Apr 16th, 2005 10:00 AM

Rebroc - You shouldn't have any problem doing everything on your list. The road to Hana, especially with a hike to Oheo Gulch will be an all day trip.....plan on being in Paia town early in the morning to beat the traffic (parking at some of the waterfalls is scarce). When you get to Lanai, it's a short ride to the Manele Bay Hotel......a great place for lunch and to hang out at Hulopoe Beach (a beautiful bay where dolphins are known to frequent). Your condo is located close to some good snorkeling spots: Napili & Honoloa Bay, Honokeana Cove (good chance of spotting turtles) are all a short drive west. A short walk east is Kahikili Beach/Park (by the new Westin Resort) and Black Rock (Kaanapali Beach hotel zone). Sorry, can't help you with a luau choice. Have a great time on one of our favorite islands.

suze Apr 16th, 2005 11:06 AM

Either is a good choice luau-wise, just different.

I went to Old Lahaina with my family of 10 for an anniversary celebration and we have a lovely time. Beautiful setting, fine buffet food, well organized, excellent show. But it is big.

Just happened Feast of Lele was next to the hotel we were at, so heard a bit of that. My impression is that it is smaller, more intimate and romantic a setting, with table service (not buffet).

For either one you should make reservations well ahead of time.

rebroc Apr 16th, 2005 12:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've pretty much decided on the Feast at Lele after reading all luau posts. Just wondering if we can do it the first night. We get in to OGG about 1:30 and I just don't want to be rushing. Anyone know what time it starts?

weimer Apr 16th, 2005 12:49 PM

Rebroc,
I had my first Maui trip in Feb and came to Fodors with the same types of issues. We did the Feast at Lele, catamaran trip w/ snorkeling and Hana. It is easy to over schedule yourself with activitise in Maui so my suggestion is not kill yourself.

Feast starts at 6 if I recall. You need to book inadvance. I was told that it's 3-4 days out booked and could be worse if a corporate outing comes through town.

rebroc Apr 16th, 2005 01:03 PM

Sounds like there's time to book and we should have enough time to get there after settling in. We'll probably make activity plans and then take our time. If we miss some things we'll just have to make another trip.

hilda Apr 16th, 2005 02:53 PM

If you only have 5 days I would concentrate on touring and sightseeing. You may never get back to hawaii. I would save the relaxation for a stateside beach vacation.

beach_dweller Apr 17th, 2005 06:08 AM

I must respectfully disagree with Hilda's advice about seeing as much as possible and relaxing when you get home.

With 5 nights, you essentially have 4 days. And you are stressed--no vacation in the last 5 years! :-(

You've already accounted for 3 days of that with Lanai, Hana, and at least half a day each for Haleakala and snorkeling. Save some time for soaking in Maui's relaxing, carefree atmosphere. Explore with no plans; wake up and see where the day takes you (at least one day!)

Deblynn Apr 17th, 2005 01:36 PM

We will also be there in June for our anniversary. I researched the luaus and we decided on the Feast. Have already booked our reservations. If you want a speciifc day, book now. I would not try to do it the first night. After a long flight, wouldn't it be better to walk along the beach, catch a meal at sunset or after and wind down from all the stress of flying, getting rental car, checking into the hotel, etc? Do plan at least one day to just spend doing "nothing", as everyone says they overbook and don't get to enjoy Hawaii! Have fun! Deb

rebroc Apr 17th, 2005 04:18 PM

Thanks guys. And I do live in California. Santa Monica to be exact. It's no vacation. And I have not entered the ocean water here since I discovered the clean, warm carribean water when I was 12. My dilemma regarding the activities was basically what would be more memorable for my boyfriend. I think we will stick with the list of activities and do as suggested; see what the morning brings and what mood we're in. I'm exhausted living by a clock and rushing around. I believe we will live by "we get there when we get there".

pspercy Apr 17th, 2005 10:13 PM

rebroc, your last post is the <b>best.</b>
A &quot;do list&quot; is great as a reminder, ours seem to become mostly unimportant once there :)
Especially on a short trip like yours don't regiment yourselves .. please post trip summary re Maui Kai etc, also to tripadvisor.com.
Heading that way later in the year....

Boxer Apr 18th, 2005 07:18 AM

Hi. Stayed at the Maui Kai for 13 nights in Dec. 04. Our first time to Maui. Didn't do ANY of the things on your list (or anyone else's). Total relaxation was our credo.

Napili Bay beach was a favourite (10 min. up the road from Maui Kai).

Okay, one day we drove to Pai'a (sp.?) to see the &quot;big&quot; waves but that was basically &quot;it&quot; for sightseeing. We snorkled at Ahihi Bay down past Wailea one day and it was good snorkling but, if I had only 5 days I would stay as close to the condo as possible and relax as much as possible.

I truly believe you can't go wrong with several days just &quot;hanging&quot; at Napili Bay. I LOVED it. Have lunch at The Gazebo at the Napili Surf (I believe) just at the edge of the bay. Sandwiches like your Mom would make but with a view to die for. Oh, and they don't serve alcohol. Get the alcohol at the grocery store and have your drinks on the lanai at the Maui Kai ... can't beat the sunsets.

Gee, now I want to go all over again.

kamahinaohoku Apr 18th, 2005 08:03 AM

I think your anticipated schedule is a bit too much like your present life: way too busy. My suggestion is to do only one or two of your planned events. Then, park yourselves on the beach at Napili Bay and veg out for the rest of the time. Contemplate the beauty of the ocean, marvel at the view of Molokai in the distance, and most important: Get Back Your Sanity. The memory of you and your beloved relaxing on a beach together can be just as memorable as riding down Haleakala on a bike; maybe even more so.
((S))((*))

bostonbound Apr 18th, 2005 05:00 PM

Hi,
Happened across your request while doing some research for a much anticipated 2nd trip to Maui. We were there 4 years ago and like you and your boyfriend needed a much deserved vacation.
We had a little more time than you are planning but my advice to you would be pare down any &quot;must do and see&quot; activities and just enjoy. We were fortunate enough to find a great litte condo in Napili Bay and we are returning to the same unit this trip.

Many beautiful things will happen there if you just open yourselves up to them. RELAX. Enjoy the space in time of just being in a beautiful heavenly spot and take time to enjoy each other outside of a scheduled hectic, overplanned life.

phillymazes Apr 21st, 2005 06:27 AM

Adding a vote to the Relax column. The very best moments of our time in Maui, despite the many wonders and sights, were on the lanai at our condo in the morning (or for that matter, any time of day), just gazing out and saying &quot;We're here! Look at this!&quot; Stop, smell the flowers, stroll the beach, stay out of the car, watch the water come in. (Our personal opinion is to skip the Hana road and instead drive around and stroll Paia and other &quot;small towns&quot; in the interior.)

As specified by others, don't live your vacation like you live your life, otherwise it's just your old life in a prettier place. Slow down and absorb it.