Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui: 3 days to kill in Maui or another island? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-3-days-to-kill-in-maui-or-another-island-865522/)

tewels Nov 4th, 2010 01:36 PM

Maui: 3 days to kill in Maui or another island?

I am a carribean girl. Could write books about the US and British Islands, but know nothing about Hawaii. My husband and I are meeting family Maui for 9 days in march 2011 the first 6 days will be spent with the family in Wailea at a very nice kid friendly resort.

The last 3 nights belong to us. Here’s where I need some help. Should we travel to another island that is close? We love quaint small places, nothing fancy. Just want to get a feel for the islands. We love to snorkel and hike. Love being as close to the ocean as we can afford. We have to fly back out of Maui, so not sure is feasible to visit a different island?

For all you experts, would greatly appreciate your take on island hopping, or a unique place to stay in Mauii.

PS. I have also heard there are short cruises around there, does anyone know about this?
Would a 3 day cruise be a good way to go?

jamie99 Nov 4th, 2010 02:30 PM

As far as I know, the only cruises are the NCL 7 day ones. You could consider a few nights on Lanai, you can take the ferry over (or fly), there are two fancy hotels and the Hotel Lanai. Otherwise I would stay on Maui if you have to fly back from there.

Kealalani Nov 4th, 2010 03:06 PM

I'd hit the grocer and head to Hana to a private rental and live like a local.

mumpsimus Nov 4th, 2010 03:34 PM

If you want a taste of a softer, gentler Hawai'i, you could consider Kona Village Resort on the Big Island. It's up to you and your budget, but the food is prize winning and included, as well as most of the water toys and the tennis. Take a look at www.davidskvr.net and see what you think.
David

Placename Nov 4th, 2010 07:51 PM

No 3-day cruises, only the 7-day NCL cruise, as mentioned.

saige Nov 4th, 2010 07:52 PM

With just three days, I'd stay on Maui. It has the best beaches and a lot of local flavor. I'd get away from the big family resort and find a cozy place to spend some quality time as a couple and enjoy the romance of this beautiful island. The road to Hana might be a good trip for you. There are beautiful pools in the botanical gardens along the way for a dip in the water and a great location for a private picnic under the trees. We enjoyed buying local produce and fresh fish to cook our own island feasts. It's a wonderful opportunity for you to enjoy the island like a local.

iamq Nov 5th, 2010 05:05 AM

kea is right. Hana would give you the contrast you might be looking for. You'll get the snorkeling and the beaches in Wailea and Makena. Hana, regardless of what the daytripping naysaers offer is up is relaxation and solitude.

Hotel Hana Maui for three days would give you the escape you'd be looking for. At that time of year they will be offering deals and packages on food and spa stuff. Hana is windward, so it will be cooler, windier and wetter than Wailea, but it will give you a taste of what the native Hawaiians consider home.

panhandle Nov 5th, 2010 05:15 AM

I agree regarding staying on Maui. Its just not enough time to island hop (you also lose precious time at the airport)
I like the idea of staying in Hana ( I will be doing this my next trip) but since its your first trip I would stay on the west side of the island.
Things to do?This is my list of favorite things to do on Maui-

1. Snorkel with Sea Turtles- Our first trip we went on a snorkel tour to Molokini and we left a little disappointed. Our second trip I did some research and found Suzzy Robinson. Her Snorkel trips are groups of around 6 people and go from the shore. Why if there is no boat should you consider Suzzy? She know the area. She took us to an area that we would have never found on our own and the Sea Turtles were EVERYWHERE. IT was the highlight of our trips to Maui and well worth every penny we paid.
http://www.mauiscuba.com/snorkel/snorkel3.html

2. Sunrise at Haleakala Crater- a gamble but worth it if you get a good one.

3. Drive to Hana- a MUST for a first time visitor. Take your time and explore along the way. Along the drive you will see many waterfalls,amazing pools to take a dip in,and the best banana bread you will ever have. A memory that will last!Plan an early start and a whole day.

4.Old Lahaina Luau- if seeing a luau is your thing ( you should do it once in my opinion) then this is the one. I am not into them anymore but I am glad I went once.

5. Whale watchingis a lot of fun ( I am into photgraphy so this was a must) march is a good month to do that. We used Pacific Whale Foundation and felt it was worth the money. We did the Sunrise tour to get the best light for photos. I usually get up before Sunrise anyway so this didnt bother me.

Should I go on?? I could type all day about Maui...lol
Best Wishes,
Nate

Placename Nov 5th, 2010 08:10 AM

Taking the ferry to Lanai is a very viable option.

The Four Seasons has two hotels there, which are both very beautiful. I belive there is less expensive accomodtion in Lanai City, although you would not be on a beach. However, car rental in Lanai is quite expensive

tewels Nov 5th, 2010 08:42 AM

Thanks so much to the posters, i am going to lock down my air today, and then hold the hotel. Looks like Hana would be cool for a break. If we do stay in Maui, i was looking at Paia Inn, what do you guys think? It's small hotel and number one rated on trip advisor, and the price is reasonable. any and all suggestions for best beaches, hikes, daysails are welcome, the more info the better. What are the things I can't miss?

sf7307 Nov 5th, 2010 09:00 AM

Do an "advanced search" for "Paia Inn" -- click on "title and replies" and "US Forum".

panhandle Nov 5th, 2010 09:02 AM

Paia is a funky litte town. I just love the vibe in Paia.
Two of my favorite restaurants are in Paia. The Fish Market and Charleys are inexpensive and very good. The drawback in my eyes to Paia is its beaches are not the best.
I would lean toward Lahaina side of Maui personally.
I forgot to mention in my post above that if you go to Haleakala Crater for Sunrise stop in up at Makawao in upcountry. Its far away from the beaches but this little community is very cool. Lots of galleries and stuff if you are into that. Komoda Bakery is the best bakery on the island and worth a trip to upcountry in and of itself. Upcountry also has a couple Zipline places that are alot of fun as well. The one we used was Piiholo Ranch zipline...it was a blast and the staff was the best.

panhandle Nov 5th, 2010 09:04 AM

By the way....for the BEST info on EVERYTHING maui pick up this guidebook....never leave it in the hotel. It is also called the Blue Bible.
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/maui.html

Kealalani Nov 5th, 2010 02:00 PM

Love Paia. Can't say about the Inn. All I know is they are certainly a marketing magnet tooting their own horn as best they can, and there is no Paia Inn Beach - slick marketing. There is a beach that all are welcome to visit and enjoy across the way. That said I would love to spend 3 nights in that town, and if the inn is the place to stay, so be it. But Hana would still be my first choice and Lahaina would not even be an option for us ---so touristy and crowded and ugggg.

As far as the BlueBible is concerned, I am not only a heathen, but a crusader against the author, as are many people who live and love or visit and love the islands. Doughty is a jackass who has raped the land and the people he pretends to support. IMHO of course

panhandle Nov 5th, 2010 02:20 PM

Did it not give you secrets you would not have found on your own? I know about the issues the book has caused and to be honest when we first used it we were one of few who used it. Now its for sale in ABC stores...so go the secrets to some extent.
The restaurant and hotel reviews have never let me down and the places the places they say to go are spot on as well....isnt that why we would buy a guide book? To me it has worked flawlessly every time we have gone. I dont mean to stir this up again as it has come up too often in the past so I will leave it at that. =)

tewels Nov 5th, 2010 02:57 PM

Okay well it's good to hear different ideas. Got my air. I usually like to avoid crowds, and would be happiest on a nice quiet beach for snorkeling. But not at a big resort, something two story at the most, or even a little condo. We will have a car, so we can drive to the town for dinner, etc. Newby here, so i will print out a map to get an idea of the areas. Looking into Hana, how long is the ferry, do you know Keal?

Kealalani Nov 5th, 2010 03:03 PM

Hana is about a 2 hour drive from the airport. There is no ferry to Hana. But it sure is heavenly. I have stayed a few times in private rentals. Iamq has stayed a couple of times at the Hotel. It really sounds like what you are looking for.

I adore Paia but it is a busy little surf/hippietown with lots of passing traffic up to Hana. Since you are already doing a resort, I thought a private rental would work nicely. check out vrbo.com

Lanai is amazing and I think about a 40 minute ferry from Lahaina. However, staying at the Lodge or Manele Bay would be another resort experience. I do love it there as well, but was trying to compliment your exhisting plans with something laid back.

Regardless, you are on the right track with Paia, Hana or a ferry to Lanai.

iamq Nov 5th, 2010 04:04 PM

If you want snorkeling on your three day outing, DO NOT go to Hana, especially in March. Not sure about snorkeling on the north end near Paia either. I will get skewered for suggesting this because Kihei is not well liked on this board, but I would get a low rise condo in Kihei on on one of the Kamaole Beaches, like Hale Pau Hana http://www.hphresort.com/ or on Keawakapu Beach and be done with it. You'll have your beach, the weather will in the low 80s, and if you pick the right beach, you'll have snorkeling.

Or...You could fly to Kauai and get a condo at Whaler's Cove or Kiahuna for 3 nights and kick yourself for not going to Kauai instead. Good luck deciding.

Placename Nov 5th, 2010 08:41 PM

The number one rating on Trip Advisor is a fake. Lots of tout postings there, solicited by the management. Not independent posts. It is located behind a gas station in the noisy section of town and is no where near as wonderful as their guests describe.

suze Nov 6th, 2010 07:17 AM

I don't know that area of Maui. But for your overall question, with just 3 days to spare I would stay on the island (especially since you have to fly back out of there). There's lots to see and do that would be different from being with your group at a resort.

Rent a car and drive around to quiet beaches. I think the town of Lahaina is very fun (it's a busy bussling kind of old whaling town). The crater of Haleakala is definitely worth seeing.