Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mathieu takes a small bite of the Big Apple - a trip report.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It¡¦s just over a week since returning from a fantastic 4 day break in New York City (June 24 ¡V 27th). Everything about the trip turned out way better than I expected or imagined; people, places and events came together in such a way to ensure a totally enjoyable and memorable time. The weather was perfect throughout ¡V sunny and averaging 23C every day ¡V with just a couple of brief showers of no consequence. I¡¦d originally posted here seeking restaurant opinions and suggestions from all you trusted Fodorites and you came through. All advice was put to excellent use (thank you everyone) resulting in the enjoyment of a myriad of dining experiences which you¡¦ll read about later. However the trip was about so much more too. So here goes.

Trip purpose and travelers.

Even though I live in Toronto, a mere air borne hour and a half away from New York, its been over 12 years since last visiting the city. Trips to Europe, the Caribbean and Asia have filled the intervening years so this trip was eagerly anticipated, though it would be brief. It was precipitated by my wish to attend and support my nephew¡¦s first solo art exhibition in NY. Following completion of his MFA and a years teaching at a Canadian university, he was offered and accepted an apprenticeship/development program at the Whitney 2 years ago and has since found continuous creative work in the art world to continue living in NY. My trip was to be solo, due to time restrictions and other commitments, before learning that one of my closest and best friends would also coincidently be in New York on business the day I¡¦d be attending the show. So plans were made to meet for dinner and drinks following the show (at WD-50), but further conversations lead to the fun idea to expand the trip into a 4 day guys-only break in New York, something we¡¦d long talked about doing. So once consent (or permission depending on ones perspective ƒº ) had been wrangled from our respective wives (his) and girlfriends (mine), the stage was set to paint the town red.

Flights.

We flew Business Class on Air Canada to La Guardia and back. The flights were on time and uneventful. However thanks to a massive highway accident at 5.30 am I arrived at the airport 45 mins before departure to be informed that it was too late to make the flight due to US customs and immigration procedures in Canada. I was rebooked on the next flight an hour later at no cost. The in-flight service on both the outbound and return flights was disappointing. On the way down, B¡¦fast consisted of a partly frozen croissant, (because the ovens were not working) on a paper cocktail napkin. I later discovered that my buddy¡¦s flight an hour earlier that I would have been on, was served a hot meal on china; On the way back we were seated in row 4; by the time they reached us they¡¦d run out of meals because, as the FA explained when I complained, they booked 11 people in Business class but only stocked 6 meals. I¡¦ve flown Business class many times before for work and pleasure but had never encountered such an experience.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Accommodation.

Nothing could have been more opposite in every respect to the on-board airline hospitality, than that to which we were treated to at the wonderful Plaza Hotel - our residence for 3 nights – located at 57th and 5th.
This was a once in a blue moon indulgence, completely justified by the brevity and special purpose of the trip, and isn’t what I’m normally used to in the way of accommodation for the most part of my many travels, though I try to end my trips with a night or two at a pampering hotel before flying home. I have stayed at a few wonderful places, but this one was truly one of the best.
The reputation of this graceful icon of refined hospitality is legendary, and now having experienced it first hand, I can vouch that it’s all true.

From the first ‘Welcome to The Plaza, Sir, and welcome to New York’ confidently delivered by the doorman as my luggage and I were assisted out of the cab, I was made to feel special and welcome, a feeling pretty much perpetuated the entire stay by every staff member I met, everywhere and anywhere. The hotel has recently undergone a $400 million refurbishment and while I cannot attest to its past, its certainly very impressive as it is now. Timeless and modern at once might best describe it. Vestiges of its Art Deco hey day remain, now spruced-up and updated. The plush red carpeted stairs lead through a revolving door into a domed foyer with the Palm Court Dining room immediately in front, and the entrance into the main lobby and champagne bar to the left. By the entrance to the Palm Court dining room stands an upright baccarat chandelier on a crystal stand, about 8 feet tall enclosed in a small red-velvet roped circle, and rumored to be worth in the region of 10 million dollars. So look, but don’t touch. Other art deco-style crystal chandeliers sparkle by the dozen from the ceilings in all public spaces on this level.

Once in the main lobby to the left, ones eye is drawn to the open plan style champagne bar and tall glass shelved display area piled decoratively with Bernadotte flutes in which one is served ones choice from a wide selection of bubblies. And you may purchase your flute after draining it’s contents. Coloured LED lights illuminate the crystal display every few seconds, an effect though eye-catching, I thought to be slightly garish. Tall high backed chairs grouped around low tables either hide the rich and famous, or provide the perfect opportunity for discreet voyeurism. I had to suppress a chuckle as I saw heads peering to observe me as I strode towards the check-in desk. Its just plain ol’me, folks !

About a dozen enormous floral displays each containing 200+ giant lilac alliums, twisted grape vines and white orchids dotted the entire area. Their display life was 7 days before they were trashed and replaced with something else exotic. We witnessed this when returning in the early hours after a night on the town while the change-over was in progress. (I have those alliums growing at home and can appreciate what goes into the growth of just one, let alone several hundred).

A bank of 3 small and narrow elevators that don’t ring when they arrive carry you to your rooms or suites. We had a large high-ceiling room on the 10th floor. It was a haven of peace. Decorated in the elaborate Louis XV style, the furniture including a heavily embellished head board on the huge king bed (we also had an additional bed). The room was coloured in beige, brown, taupe and gold – lots of gold. The huge bathroom’s fixtures and sinks were finished in 24K gold and the designer sheets had rows of hand embroidered corded rows of gold thread, so I was informed. A fur throw lined the bottom of the bed. Fresh flowers, an in wall 37” flat screen TV and a state of the art electronic portable panel that allowed you to adjust all lighting, temperatures and even make dinner reservations with the concierge desk below completed the scene upon entry. Throughout our stay, other touches of exceptional service and amenities included :

1. The services of a personal Butler. I liked this the best ! Talk about being pampered. Within minutes of entering the room, a tap on the door revealed a young man dressed in stylish black longcoat (modern tail-coat perhaps ?), white gloves and black patent leather shoes. He introduced himself as our butler. (Over the next 3 days it was a different person each day but all in the 25 – 35 yo age range I think, mannered and polite) Services upon request could include the drawing of a bath (declined – not a bath person), personal wake-up shoulder shake (also declined), suit pressing and shoe polishing (oh yes, several times), beverage preparation (again yes, cocktails each evening), unpacking and repacking ones luggage (I’d already unpacked but their repacking, including new purchases, was a work of art, and I now have dozens of sheets of crisp tissue paper stamped with ‘The Plaza’ all over the floor at home), computer hookup assistance (the rooms are wireless), and several other incidental things.

2. The daily chocolate surprises. Each day, returning to he room in the late afternoon(before preparing to head out in the evening) was accompanied with a sense of eagerness to see what treat would be waiting for us on the walnut sideboard. The first day it was a welcome drink, a letter of welcome on heavy card stock and gold lined envelope from the manager, a platter of miniature fruit (including stuff like mangoes, gooseberries, star-fruit as well as berries, citrus and other fruit usuals), and a 10 inch solid milk chocolate model of the Empire State building. China, heavy silver cutlery and thick napkins neatly folded lay ready for use. The next day the fruit platter and cocktails reappeared and the chocolate surprise was a selection of a dozen hand made truffles on a glass platter. The third day the cocktails appeared once more (always our selection and prepared by the butler) but in place of the fruit was a domed plate, which when lifted revealed a selection of hard and soft, fresh and aged cheeses with crackers, fresh figs, apricots and walnuts. Thinking this was it for the day, we were happily devouring the cheese when the butler re-appeared with the platter of fruit - and an enormous chocolate sculpture, sprinkled with gold dust, of the kind one would expect from Jacques Torres, more truffles, and a beautiful white candy rose of lemon flavoured spun sugar.

3. The bottles of water. Every day, a bottle of Tao Welsh water was placed on each night table and Evian water, in 2 bottles designed by Christian Lacroix on the side board, standing beside a sweating silver ice bucket.

4. Three newspapers delivered in a linen bag each morning.

5. A card detailing the next day’s weather forecast, laid on your pillow sometime after 9.00pm

6. A complementary runners refreshment table set out in the lobby each morning containing fresh fruit, mini bottles of Fiji water and piles of snowy white towels. Very useful for 2 early morning runs in Central Park, which is right outside the hotel.

7. The use of the Equinox Fitness club located in the Time Warner building, Columbus circle. Since the Plaza does not have any extensive fitness facilities, guests are provided with passes to this fitness club upon request. Used this on the morning of my last day and took a yoga class as well. A pretty huge place with endless facilities.

8. Extreme courtesy and acknowledgement every time one encounters a member of the staff, from cleaners to repairmen, Bell hops to concierge managers. They truly couldn’t do more to please you.

9. An endless supply it seemed, of the plushest towels throughout the day.

I cannot say enough about the excellent hospitality and services of the hotel. It truly set the tone for a terrific visit.

Other segments to follow : Eating and drinking in NYC, Shows we saw, Out and about in the city, Random thoughts.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:02 PM

Mathieu.....I'm LOVING this.....keep it coming!!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:38 AM
mp

Posting this wonderful description without the price . . . hmmmm it almost reads like an ad!

Oh - and yes, the Plaza offers passes to the Equinox, but that's 3 long blocks away at Columbus Circle - nice, but doesn't make for an efficient quick workout.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Someone was asking about the Plaza recently, so this will be good information to share. Sounds like you would have had a great time if you never even left the place.

Waiting for more of your report. . .
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM

I think I would have been tempted to just stay in the hotel room the whole time! Could I be bold enough to ask the rate?
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments everyone.
Yes, I too would have liked to have spent more time enjoying the hotel but it was tough to do when so much had been planned for the 4 days in the city. It was pleasant enough just to return to the hotel hot and tired and be able to relax in comfort for a bit before setting out again - sometimes more than once a day.

I suppose the Equinox isn't so great if you just want to nip down for a quick workout, and the hotel does have a small exercise area on the 2nd floor I believe, with a couple of machines, mills and free weights.
I didn't find the distance to the Equinox to be that far - in fact I ran the distance to it carrying a change bag and was there in a few minutes. Theres a good juice bar on the ground floor as you exit too.

I'm sorry for all the weird symbols and squiggles in the first few paragraphs. I'm typing in WORD then copying and pasting. The symbols are supposed to be apostrophes and brackets, thats all.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
mp

He's still not saying what the rate was . . .

Don't worry Mathieu, we're all sitting down.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM

mp, no offense intended, but I always have to laugh at the complaint that one has to WALK 3 blocks to work out. Someone locally complained at the wellness center that the elevator had been broken twice in one month and she had to WALK UPSTAIRS to use her stairmaster.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Actually, Neopatrick, it makes perfect sense to me to "complain" about walking 3 blocks for a gym if
-it's miserably hot or freezing outside
-it's pouring (we've had such crazy thunderstorms lately)
-it's very early or late in the day and the person doesn't feel comfortable walking in an area
-you are really pressed for time
(getting in and out of a hotel and registering at a 'new gym' takes some extra time)
-you just feel like for the $$$ you are paying you should have everything on site!
-Etc. etc.
But I did get a good laugh about having to walk upstairs to get to the stairmaster!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
mp

No offense taken, neo - yeah I'm with nyer - it's not about the effort as much as the time it takes.

I actually take the bus to my gym and then walk home - it's a funny situation - my gym is kind of great - it's on a huge pier over the Hudson River, the light is fantastic and the equipment is great and the place is huge and has a gorgeous pool and jacuzzi. So I'm spoiled and I go - but it's a 15 minute walk/bus ride . . but it's true - my gym is on 2 levels and I've heard people say, I don't want to walk upstairs to the weights!

But I figure if I'm paying for $$$ in a hotel, I want everything right there . but it sounds like there's a little gym room on the 2nd floor, so maybe the Plaza is still ok!
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Apologies that I haven't been able to post the next installment yet. Just been very busy at work and haven't had the time to write.
I will post more out very shortly.

M.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Looks like the rate of a deluxe king with butler service is running around $765 per night, weekend rate. Not as much as I thought!
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 02:58 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Rested up yet?
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 03:41 PM

Loving the report so far; this description is the closest I will get to actually staying there
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 09:41 AM

So far? This was written in 2008!
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Yes everyone, I apologise !
This was my report way back in 2008 and I never got down to finishing it. Best intentions and all that, but I remember specifically how busy I was with work just around that time in 2008 which contributed to the problem.

I know much of what I could have added would be outdated now, such as the shows we saw, and it almost seems that talking about my dining experiences and sites visited may be redundant, even though the restaurants of note we ate at (such as WD50, Hells Kitchen) and the areas visited (Billberg, Brooklyn, etc) are still thriving...

I apologise again. I still have all the notes from that trip and feel badly that I never finished this report. I guess it may seem ridiculous to add more now to a 3 yo report, and I'm no less busy, but... what do you think ? Would it be worth anything ?

M.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 01:23 PM

please continue!