Massanutten, Virginia family trip during Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have to come up with a sudden family trip consisting of adults and children between 4 yrs and college age. We were considering Massanutten resort in Virginia. Reviews on trip advisor look generally good. The Summit seems to be the most favorite.

Driving will take us about 5 hours from NJ. We are also open to any other suggestions within that driving distance.

Any suggestions on this particular resort, or other recommendations will be very helpful.

Thank you
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Have been to the resort quite a few times, although not at Christmas. The Summit is very good, and we have stayed there as well as other developments in the resort. If Mountainside Villas is available, I'd say to go for that one -- it's large, with a loft, huge picture windows, etc. Check this out -- http://mountainside-villas.com/site/...d=39&Itemid=70 Are you getting multiple units? But The Summit is quite nice.

This is a very large resort with lots of activities (kids and adults). You could spend the week there without ever leaving the property and stay completely busy (keep that in mind; you'll have to drive just about everywhere on the grounds). There's the newish indoor water park, the snow activities (tubing, skiing, etc.), crafts, a couple of indoor gyms, indoor pool - the list goes on. There is a Monday night craft show/reception and several other evening events - you will be given an activities list at check-in, and can also do some exploring via their website: http://www.massresort.com/

However, you are also quite close to a number of good wineries, historic sites, caverns, etc. Harrisonburg (closest big town) is a college town with some restaurants you might want to visit.

You should have a great time.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I have not been to Massanutten so I can't comment on that location. I have been to Wintergreen, however, and like it a lot. It is near to Charlottesville.
www.wintergreenresort.com

Another possibility would be Skytop in the Poconos.
www.skytop.com
The accomodations there are rooms and suites, though, not condos.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Looks like Massanutten is out. They don't have availability for the dates we need. Wintergreen looks like a good option. Thanks Birdie. Poconos is a good option, however I didn't see much resort like settings with condos.

I'll start a new thread , since Massanutten is out now.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM

So sorry to hear that! What dates are you planning for your get-together?
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

We can only get out by Dec 24. So the dates are around Dec 24-Dec 29 . I still haven't found any good options. I was even considering Lake Placid, and Vermont, but nothing I liked is available.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Have you looked on VRBO? I know that there are a few people that list their condos and homes in Wintergreen on VRBO.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Also, you might want to look at Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg, VA. It doesn't have the winter sports you might be looking for but it would be a great place for a family get together. The resort has suites but they are huge with full kitchens and dining areas and large living areas.
www.kingsmillresort.com
Busch Gardens will be open for their Christmas Town. All ages would enjoy that.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. I've never used VRBO, will check it out. My husband doesn't seem very excited about Wintergreen. I'm trying to convince him though.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Let's see if we can come up with some things he might like about Wintergreen....good steak house, indoor tennis, steam room, a golf course in the valley (if it turns out to be mild), tubing, black diamond skiing....