Massachusetts in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:22 AM
lani

hi,

my husband and i will be flying into boston in early november (unfortunately, work commitments mean we miss the foliage season).

we are debating whether to stay in MA and look around (we have not been there before) or head on down to NYC (where we have been before). we have 7 days, 3 of which will be in boston, and we have the option of flying out of logan or newark.

i've been reading the forum about MA and most things seem to be available only in spring or summer. i've got lots of questions!

is there good places to visit/see in november? what about cape cod and nantucket during this time? maine or new hampshire? i'm not too keen on driving if there's going to be lots of ice/snow...not used to it!

if we decide to go to nyc, is amtrak or greyhound the only options?

thanks in advance for any help!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:30 AM
lani

ooops,

i should add that we're in our mid-thirties, looking for something scenic/historical/relaxing. we'll get most of our nights out in boston so that's not overly important the rest of our stay.

thanks again!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 03:11 AM
gail

It is not likely to snow in early November in Massachusetts, but weather could be quite gray and raw.

If you go to NY and will not drive, I vote for Amtrak over Greyhound. You asked about other options - you could fly and American Eagle is starting service Boston to LGA - maybe they have a deal since it will be new. But flying during the week is expensive.

If you like the ocean, the Cape can be beautiful at that time of year, although obviously cold. Hotel rates are low and you can get a real feel for the area without the summer crowds. I might stay in Falmouth, Hyannis or Chatham so that you would find restaurants open.

Boston itself has several good museums, Freedom trail, shopping, architecture - enough to occupy you for the time you have free. I personally would not venture to Maine or New Hampshire at that time of year - foliage is over, snow not really there yet for winter sports, and unless you want an off-season relaxing get-away, I would be bored.

As you think about your plans in more detail, post more specific questions here - we all think we are experts!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Dick

Early November is a fantastic time to be visiting eastern Massachusetts. There's virtually no chance of any snow (Boston only has snow on the ground even by Christmas one year in three), and it's not that far after peak foliage time, so in many years - when there hasn't been strong wind or rain just prior - there's still some color around. The air is cool, dry, and refreshing and it's a great time to be out of doors. I've lived here just about my entire life and the late Oct - early Nov time is what I look forward to all year.

In addition to the many city things that will be available to do, I'd recommend taking a drive out Rt. 2 to Concord and Lexington and checking out the places where our country was born. They've done a great job converting Minuteman Historical Park - along the route the redcoats took to confiscate the arms cache in Concord - back to something like it looked over 200 years ago and there are plenty of interpretive exhibits. In Concord you have the historical sites plus various authors' homes to tour, as well as the site of Thoreau's cabin at Walden Pond. You can easily spend an entire day in the area (or a lifetime - it's where I live).

Although I'm not a big fan of Cape Cod I know others love it and it would make another great day trip. In early November you'd actually get to see the place something like how it looked 30 or 40 years ago before it's own popularity ruined it.

Or head the other way and make a loop trip through the White Mountains, heading up through Franconia Notch on I-93, then east across toward Mt. Washington, and back down through Crawford Notch on Rt 302, then 16, then I-95 back to town. The leaves will definitely be off the trees up there, but there'll still be plenty to see. It's my favorite time for hiking at the lower elevations - mountain tops are usually a bit snowy and icy by then.

Too many options, too little time. I love NY, too, but you really ought to take advantage of the opportunity to see New England.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Jen

Actually most things in the area ARE available all year -- most that are seasonal are water-related, like beach stuff and the Swan Boats and Duck Tours ( you do NOT want to be splashing about in the Charles in November).

As others have said, Boston has loads of historic, art, architecture, sports, shopping, and general sightseeing things to do that are entirely independent of the weather. Within an hour or two's drive you have not only the Concord historic area and NH/Maine (though it's really not attractive up north in Nov.) as well as Providence and Newport RI, which can give you an entirely different chunk of history -- the mansions of the industry tycoons of the late 19th century, plus museums of tennis and yachting.

Weather is SO vairable at that time of year -- it could indeed be cold and damp, but we also often get very pleasant sunny days in the 70s. Come prepared with clothing and itinerary for either eventuality, and you can have a great time without trekking to NY.

If you do go to NYC, take Amtrak, but don't bother with the extra-expensive Acela Express. The Acela Regional cost a lot less and doesn't take much longer. Lokon the Amtrak web site for their link to specials (discounts for using Master Card, etc.). AAA members get a discount, too.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:30 PM
lani

hi all,

thank you for the replies!

after reading all your suggestions, i'm leaning more towards staying in MA. viewing the white mountains would be great, too.

i'd love to see walden pond, maybe make a weekend of it out that way? also thinking about a day trip to either nantucket island or martha's vineyard. whew! all of a sudden there's lots to do!

i checked the AA flight from bos-lga, it would be $63.50 one way, and amtrak (non-acela) at $70. looks like train if we go there since it'll take us right into manahttan (penn station).

thanks again!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Jen

Just to help you narrow down your itinerary -- in November, the White Mountains will be gray.

Amtrak usually beats flying, both in price and time once you add up all the extra time and $$ hassles of flying -- transport to and from city centers (in Boston as well as NYC), early check-in, security, etc. Plus the train is much more comfortable and has better food.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 03:48 AM
gail

Walden Pond is a nice walk, even in November. If you go out that way, and are at all into the history thing, you could do a driving tour including Lexington, Concord.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Donna F

You said historical so I think you would enjoy a visit to Portsmouth NH. The restaurants are great and you can visit Strawbery Banke. Depending on the dates, there should be a play or musical event. Portsmouth has several theaters. You could consider a drive along the Maine coast, many people love the ocean that time of year and you won't have the crowds. Just enjoy the scenery even if the leaves are off the trees (there's still plenty of pine, spruce and hemlock). If you'd like to see the mountains, a drive to North Conway could be a pleasant day trip. The view of the mountain as you drive is beautiful. Make a loop and drive around Lake Winnipesaukee. Not all of the boats are out of the water even if it's November. If you enjoy high quality crafts, visit the League of NH Arts and Crafts in Meredith. There is also a shop on Main St in downtown Concord NH. You can visit the Museum of NH History right on Main St. I think Shaker Village in Canterbury is closed by then, alas. Sturbridge Village in western Mass is also a wonderful historical site with guides adopting a personality of the era. If you want to start doing some early Christmas shopping, I think you will find some very interesting shops and handcrafted items. The weather can be warm and wonderful even thru December but if it's rainy it might be a bit dismal but a hot bowl of chowdah would certainly taste even better! We spent a very cold, rainy April weekend on the Cape but stopping for afternoon tea at a cozy tea place was wonderful. If you browse Gibson's bookstore in Concord NH, it is attached to a great European bakery called Bread and Chocolate. Providence is also an interesting city to visit and you can take a very unusual tour of the Johnson and Wales Museum for a history of stoves and cooking utensils! Hope you enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Phillipa

I beg to differ with most of the postings above. There is a very good chance of a few Indian Summer days along the coasts of New Hampshire and Maine, and there are few tourists. It's a perfect time to see Maine's rocky coast and have a lobster roll or two. It's my favorite time of year at the ocean, and if you have the opportunity to drive up the coast, you should do so.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:36 AM
xxx

www.boston-online.com is a useful site I used it when planning a similar trip last year. If you look for tourist sites that list events you may find some interesting things to do in Nov.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 06:01 AM
lani

hi,

thanks to all who posted here!

we've decided on staying in MA for the week.

can anyone advise on whether this itinerary is too ambitious?

we land at logan at 6pm on a weekday, so spend a night near airport (revere or wakefield).

go to possibly portsmouth, NH or somewhere along the NH or ME coast for lunch and a look around, then head to lexington and concord. i did look up strawberry banke, looks to be closed in november. we're visiting some friends near worcester, and will stay some nights (is the factory outlets near there worth a look?). maybe we can take some time to go to sturbridge village.

after that, choice of providence, hyannis or plymouth overnight, then head back to logan to return the car and spend the rest of the time in boston itself.

our friends told us to head straight for worcester on arrival but i'm concerned about the rush hour and getting lost on the way to their place. looks near 90 minutes in normal traffic? i've also heard a lot of bad things about driving to/from logan and through boston! if we do go to worcester on arrival, is it better to drive north of boston? mapquest said to head south from the airport but it didn't look like an easy route!

thanks for all the help...just want to add that another factor to stay in MA is that my husband got tickets to a boston celtics game which made him very agreeable to staying!

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Jen

Listen to your friends, telling you to head straight for Worcester when you arrive. Heading out the Mass Turnpike to Worcester will be much easier than getting to a hotel in Revere or (heavens!) Wakefield. The entrance to the Turnpike is about 2 miles from the airport; the signage is pretty good and you will be able to get detailed directions when you rent your car. If you're due to land at 6, by the time you get your lucgage and your car, rush hour will be over. Driving from the airport to Worcester is much easier than driving from the airport to Wakefield. If the Pike is at normal speeds, the trip will be closer to an hour rather than 90 minutes (depending of course on exactly where in Worcester you're headed!).

Do your Worcester/Sturbridge things first, then go thru Lexington and Concord, head north to any NH or Maine things to do, then take the highway south from Maine back to the airport to return the car.

Your itinerary is complicated by the fact that you have named places that are in all different directions from Boston -- southeast (Hyannis, Plymouth), south (Providence), directly west (Worcester), northwest (Lexington, Concord), and northeast (Portsmouth NH and Maine). You might work out something using Route 495 or 128, but I think basically it's time for you to quit Mapquest and look at a regular paper map.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Donna F

Ack! Do not shop instead of going to Sturbridge. Sounds like you might have to skip Portsmouth and do both Plymouth and Providence. Providence has great restaurants so that would be a good place for dinner. Walk around Federal Hill and the college. You can have a student led tour of the Johnson & Wales museum. It's mostly the history of stoves and culinary tools but interesting. Pull up Providence posts to get restaurant recommendations. There are so-called factory outlet shopping malls all over the place so if you have the energy, you could shop one in the evening. While you're in Boston you should visit the Kennedy Museum. I would do that instead of Hyannis.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Ellen

Please consider length of daylight in November is short. Dark at 4:30-5 Pm.
Get an early start and enjoy New England.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Leslie

The Duck Tours operate up until December 1st. You might also take the ferry from the Aquarium over to Charlestown to see the USS Constitution. If you get yourself a weekly T-Pass, it will cost you $12 for unlimited use. The ferry is part of the MBTA, so it would be included in the cost of the T-Pass. Otherwise, the ride over is $1.25 each way, and its a 10 minute ride. The US Navy gives free tours of the USS Constitution.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:56 PM
rebecca

skip the worcester common fashion outlets! honest!
Re: way to get to New York.. you could do it like the locals do! There are buses from Chinatown in Boston (round trip if you want) for 15 to 25 dollars each way (depending on time of day traveled!).
If I were you I think I'd drive up to Portsmouth early morning and come home via North Shore and hit Ipswich (maybe Clam BOx) for what some people consider the best fried clams in New England.

Regarding you're overnight... I think I'd overnight in Newport (an hour from Boston) and then hit Providence on the way back. Providence has become a really nice town. A few great places from a lunch... (and that mall- while not outlets is much nicer than Worcester Common fashion outlets).
If you do want to hit outlets the Wrentham outlets about a half hour down 495 (and on the way to Prov or Newport) is very large and has a lot of pretty good stores. Mass has no tax on clothes...
Best of luck - have a great time!
(interested in info on good resturants in New England you could go to phantomgourmet.com)

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Rachel

It might be too late, but I wish you'd go to NANTUCKET too...it's beautiful and balmy, so golden in color, in November. ALSO, the BERKSHIRES are wonderful. So quaint, lots of antique shops and country places for poking around...love both. Good luck.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Nicole

No do not go to NANTUCKET!!!!!!!!!!! NO no no! NO no NO !!!!!da planes!!! beevis and butthead pilots....see post back aways..

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 04:36 AM
ann

Have no idea what that Nicole poster was saying. Nantucket would be a nice choice for this time of year as would most of the seacoast. Unless the weather is terrible the coast stays a bit warmer than inland areas into November and doesn't depend as much on having leaves on the trees to be senic. You don't say where you are from but if you don't live in a coastal state then sticking to the New England coast (as oppossed to the Bershires and White Mountains) will give you more of a feel for New England. Inland areas with no leaves and no snow can be pretty boring. They are also further away from Boston. However if you are going to be in Worcester I would definetly go to Sturbridge and that alone will give you the best "taste" of New England aside from the coast. If you have time for three areas I would go to Worcester/Sturbrige, Nantucket/Cape Cod, and then venture north of Boston as far as you have time. While I love Maine, and it's not that far, the Glouster/Rockport area on Cape Ann is really nice and closer. Salem and Newburyport are also there and very close to each other.

You had mentioned outlet shopping. I woouldn't bother if I only had a week in New England but if you really like that then the best one is in Kittery Maine, just over the bridge from Portsmouth, and only about 20 miles from Mass.

Definitly agree with the suggestion to go somewhere away from the airport area that first night. Once you get your rental car and all it will be after rush hour and you can pretty much make it to any of your destinations in less than 2 hours (less than 1 in some cases). If you stayed around the airport you'd have the morning rush hour to contend with. There is nothing nice near Logan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -