Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mass transit from Love Field to hotel in Ft. Worth??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mass-transit-from-love-field-to-hotel-in-ft-worth-950946/)

traveler24 Sep 18th, 2012 09:23 PM

Mass transit from Love Field to hotel in Ft. Worth???

"Super Shuttle ' quote is $42 (plus tip)..All Yelp reviews are bad...."wandering around town, changing drivers , 2 hours from Love to private residence....
Private car $ 100....
Taxi $ 50-60
I will have more time than money and only one small bag...no mobility problems.
There is a "line" into Dallas and then a "train" to Ft. Worth area and downtown Ft. Worth has "Molly the Trolly" to most of hotels .
What do you think???
Just "bite the bullet" and schedule the super shuttle..Opt for adventure????

jill_h Sep 19th, 2012 09:22 AM

You'll get there quicker with Super Shuttle or a cab.
If you're unsure about Super Shuttle, get your own GPS or mapquest map and "help" him drive. Shouldn't be a problem getting to the downtown area hotels.

jill_h Sep 19th, 2012 07:22 PM

Okay, I digress -- My husband rides the train very frequently and said Love Field to downtown FW is do-able.

Here's a link to the DART website that explains the connections:

http://www.dart.org/riding/lovefield.asp

Bus Route 39 operates between Dallas Love Field and Inwood/Love Field Station, providing a link between DART Rail Green Line and Orange Line and Love Field Terminal. Frequency of service between the Inwood/Love Field Station and Love Field Airport is every 20 minutes seven days a week.

Inwood/Love Field Station
The Green Line and and Orange Line provide service to downtown Dallas. Transfer to the Red Line or Blue Line at any one of these four stations — West End, Akard, St. Paul or Pearl. Victory Station on the Green Line and and Orange Line provides a connection between DART Rail and the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) commuter rail.

The recommendation would be to get on the ORANGE line at Love Field and go to Victory Station; pick up the TRE and get off at the INTERMODAL station in downtown FW (it's the 1st stop). There are shuttle buses that will take you to the area hotels.

mnn Sep 19th, 2012 07:50 PM

I guess a lot depends on what you want to do once you get to Ft Worth. My personal preference in this part of the country is to rent a car. Texas just isn't really a mass transit state although it can be done as the above poster explained.

traveler24 Sep 19th, 2012 09:26 PM

Dart site and train info very helpful--I am going to give it a try...
In my younger days and when my grand-daughter was my "driver'...we always rented a car.
However, she has graduated from college and involved in her profession in Sacramento...
Since my only reason for going to F.W. is the Kimball Art Museum and to Amon Carter in area, my needs are simple..
Thanks to all for input..

jill_h Sep 20th, 2012 09:25 AM

and the two museums are close enough to walk to each; however, you will need a cab to get from downtown to the museums -- unless the hotel has a shuttle. Molly the Trolley used to go to the arts district, but i just checked the website and it looks like it no longer does.

BigRuss Sep 20th, 2012 12:37 PM

You will have a 1.5 to 2 hour commute, at minimum. It takes about 10-15 from Love Field to the Dart station by bus. It takes another 10-15 from the Dart station to Victory station. Then it takes about 55 minutes from Victory to downtown FW. After you reach downtown FW, it will take another 15 minutes to reach the museums. So at best you're looking at a 90 minute one-way trip if you hit your connections. Considering the Trinity Rail Express runs only 11 times all day on Saturdays (NOT Sundays unless it's Fair season), if you miss one, you'll have a 90+ minute wait for the next one.

So what's wrong with a car rental?

jill_h Sep 20th, 2012 01:37 PM

BigRuss - I think his plan is to STAY in FW, but he's flying into Love Field.

musicfan Sep 20th, 2012 01:49 PM

I think the OP doesn't want to drive--they used to have a grandchild to drive on such trips, but that is no longer an option. They also mention having more time than money so the duration of the trip is apparently not a concern.

traveler24 Sep 21st, 2012 10:03 PM

After considering all the info and a call to friend who lived in Dallas a few years ago, I have "re-done" my plan...
Fly into Love Field (SWA), will give Super Shuttle a try...I will not be pressed for time so what if it takes " a while'.. However, on way back for flight home (when time could be important). I'll take a cab. My hotel in Ft. Worth does have van for local transport.
As a solo traveler, it is difficult for me to navigate in a busy street-freeway. However the "talking" GPS are wonderful..
After getting to F.W and my museums, if I find all these arrangements are too cumbersome, I'll just rent a car.
If only I were wealthy, I would just hire a driver...maybe on my next trip....
Thanks to everyone...

jill_h Sep 23rd, 2012 06:39 AM

good luck and enjoy your visit. FW is a great city!!!