Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket or the Cape with Family (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/marthas-vineyard-nantucket-or-the-cape-with-family-716151/)

DCTravel Jun 26th, 2007 07:41 AM

Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket or the Cape with Family

My husband and are are planning a trip to the Cape area next summer and I would love to get your advice. We will have an infant and a 2.5 year old, plus my parents, so I was thinking that renting a house would be our best bet. We are also planning to go at the end of June to avoid the crowds (although I don't know if that's possible).

Would you recommend Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket or the Cape (and if the Cape, where)? We like to be on the beach, not too far from a quaint town with nice restaurants, but in a less touristy area. Is that even possible?

Thanks so much in advance!

Ralphie Jun 26th, 2007 01:03 PM

I'm biased towards the islands instead of the cape,only because a finite number of cars can visit them by ferry, while two bridges ensure a mulititude of cars descending upon the Cape every weekend in the summer.

The Cape is great, don't get me wrong, and technically, one must usually go to the cape (Falmouth or Hyannis) in order to reach MV or Nantucket to begin with! But I have a soft spot for the islands.

Nantucket is smaller, which has its pros and cons. The town is lovely, the beaches are great, and it has fewer people than MV.

Martha's Vineyard has several towns on the island, each with its own character and differences. It's also a much bigger island, thus there's more to do there. This is why I think Martha's Vineyard edges out the other destinations. Most rentals are by the week (from Saturday to Saturday).

It is possible to be on the beach on MV and away from a heavily populated area. For example, Katama is technically part of Edgartown, but it's a couple miles from downtown and is on a fantastic beach, with a few resort-ish places to stay. Chilmark is also a low-density place; if you can find a place near Menemsha village/beach it might be what you're looking for also.

Good luck

steviegene Jun 26th, 2007 01:12 PM

We just spent a few days in Harwich - on the Cape.
We stayed within walking distance to the beach, and thought it was lovely. The little town of Harwich was cute, and also not far from Chatham.

We were there from June 9 - 12, and it was pretty quiet. It seemed like the season had not "officially" started - we didnt run into big crowds, busy beaches, or mobbed sights

kealalani Jun 26th, 2007 01:44 PM

Martha's Viineyard offers more diversity than Nantucket for a week - bigger. That said, what would be your vehicle of choice 6 people and luggage could be tight.

Therefore staying on the Cape may offer you more freedom. check out weneedavacation.com if you haven't already.

If you go with the cape, I'd avoid the Hyannis area and stay Falmouth area or lower cape.

j_999_9 Jun 26th, 2007 04:01 PM

What's your budget? You'll probably get a variety of price options on the Cape, but almost certainly all of Nntkt is going to be expensive.

Friends of ours own a house there -- very nice place with four bedrooms, walk to beach and downtown. I'm certain they get at least $10K a week.

wyatt92 Jun 26th, 2007 04:30 PM

I love the Vineyard. There's plenty of house rentals and they'll be a lot cheaper than Nantucket.

zootsi Jun 26th, 2007 04:36 PM

All 3 places are great, but if you want a wide variety of things to do and see, I'd recommend the Cape. The cape offers beaches of every description, small villages, fabulous bike trails, larger more commercial areas, and the national seashore with all it's programs and activities. I hope you realize that late June is really not warm enough for swimming yet in most cases.

escargot Jun 26th, 2007 05:39 PM

You can find house rentals on both MV and Nantucket for $7500-$10,000 per week in season, on the water or within walking distance. You can also find on the Cape for that price and less - in all three destinations it depends on what you want, what type of house, (decor, 'upgrades', set up, bedrooms, beach or waterfront, walk to beach, etc, etc)

Look online for house rentals in all three areas and see what appeals to you.

End of June is lovely in all three locations.
Less crowded - usually. less touristy? once you hit June 20 on, it's touristy everywhere in my opinion - it's when everyone goes to the Cape, MV or Nantucket.

Where you are coming from may make a difference.
Flying? directly to the Cape or one of the islands?
Or Flying to Logan and then needing to get to the Cape to ferry to the islands? Renting a car and trying to book ferry car reservations or renting on island......all those questions and prices to think about too -

you might want to spend some time putting "cape cod" "martha's vineyard" and "nantucket" into the search this forum box at hte top and reading recent opinions on each and trip reports - that might help you decide too.

DCTravel Jun 27th, 2007 12:13 PM

Thanks everyone for all your help and guidance. I wasn't expecting the weekly rental prices to be that high, but hopefully if we go early enough in June we can get some off-season rates. Just hope that its warm enough outside. Thanks again!

Ackislander Jun 27th, 2007 01:17 PM

I've sort of stayed out of this one, but there are rentals available in Nantucket for well under the quoted figures. $10K per week is for a well equipped house near features: walking distance to town or beach. This is not different from prices in the Outer Banks, but houses there tend to sleep more people.

There has been a lot of spec building here financed by the dream of renting for the summer to pay the mortgage. As a result, there may be an oversupply of some kinds of rentals. At least anecdotally, lots of rentals are not booked for this whole summer, and it will be interesting to see what happens when you enquire to a real estate agent later this year about next year. I'll try to follow up on this post later this summer when the news is fully in. Watch this space around Labor Day. In any event, I don't think you need to worry about booking for next summer yet, a change from the past.

Ralphie Jun 27th, 2007 01:21 PM

What Ackislander said also applies to MV. You can get a house rental for MUCH less than 10K per week. Just contact a local realtor (or their website) and ask or look around.

marymarra Jun 27th, 2007 01:53 PM

I have great luck every year on MV through vrbo.com; lots of listings; we are paying less than $5K for a beautiful house (and that's August). You say "on the beach" which, if incredibly expensive on MV and not easy to come by; personally with a toddler, I thought it was always easier to drive to the beach with all the gear.

Mary in D.C.

P.S. With a little one, you might want to look in West Tisbury/Lambert's Cove which will give you access to the beach at Lambert's Cove (you buy a pass) which is a perfect calm water beach for little ones; some of the bigger public beaches, the water can get much too rough for kids to get in).
We've been bringing my daughter since she was a baby so if you decide on MV, feel free to ask questions.

wyatt92 Jun 27th, 2007 02:01 PM

Just a note about the weekly rentals. They cost that much if you're right on the water. But most houses aren't on the water and are considerably less. I always stay in a house not on the water, in June you'll be able to get a nice 3-4 bedroom for less than $2000 for the week. Closer to $3000 for the week in Nantucket.

escargot Jun 27th, 2007 02:09 PM

Much of what everyone has said here is true and applies to renting anywhere - there are rentals for 15,000 a week and rentals for 5,000 week all over each island, the cape, Maine, anywhre - and for less and for more. You had stated you wished (or was it possible) to be on the beach - on the beach is usually more.

How many it sleeps, amenities, location, etc.
The rental my cousins get on MV each August is on the harbor, large deck, great views, small private swimming beach, 2 outdoors showers, casual in and out decor wise, but sleeps 12 with also 2 indoor baths- for 7500 a week -
my other cousin rents much smaller and no view and a car ride to beach for half the price.
Same with friends on Nantucket -

also as far as renting timing - the last two summers my friends have renting on MV out on Chappy and not booked a place until April prior to their August rental - this was unheard of 3 or 4 yrs ago they used to have to book before they left one summer for the next.

I have friends who have also 'snagged' a great price rental on Chappy or other locations on MV only to be yelling at the realtor the next day to get the cleaning crew back in or the exterminator in or b/c of other problems so if you do not have someone who can see it for you, always nice to ask as my friends from far away do - if someone you know can't see it - ask the realtor for photos she will sign as new and current - of each room, outside, etc.
This is something they will do.

So you keep your eye on the web rental pages and follow the trends and prices.

marymarra Jun 27th, 2007 04:17 PM

geesh; I should check my spelling and math! Wyatt is totally right, I am getting my lovely house in Lambert's Cove for $2500 in prime season. Sorry about that.

Another note, IMHO, I would not want to go to MV without a car and that, of course, requires a car reservation on the ferry. Many families who rent have them to sell to you; if not, this is something you need to plan for in January (seriously) so you get a somewhat decently timed crossing; again, if you pick MV, post and we'll explain the byzantine lock the ferry system has on the islands and how to get a car reservation (it's not that bad and totally worth the effort).

Mary

j_999_9 Jun 28th, 2007 06:11 AM

Ackislander: I'll defer to your knowledge, but the OP did say she needed a house to accommodate 4 adults and two children. What do you think would be a fair rental price of something decent that's roomy enough for that many people?

Ackislander Jun 28th, 2007 11:01 AM

Our weekly paper just came out today, and there are a number of rentals for $1400-2200 per week from now through August, most two and three bedroom cottages sleeping 4-6 people. None of them is on the water, but all at least present themselves as being within walking distance of the water.

Escargot's advice about trying to get someone to check it out is good. Friends of our son were about to rent an adorable cottage until we checked it out and discovered that the house behind it was rented to groups of up to twenty college students! No place for toddlers!

escargot Jun 28th, 2007 02:17 PM

I spoke with one of my friends who rents annually on MV, she uses Sandpiper Realty, - they have a web page, - she has been happy with them for 3 yrs straight now - but she always asks for current photos -cousins of ours who come from far away each yr do the following regarding a car on island if one does not come with the rental:
* ask the people you are renting from , if you book prior to January or February of the season, to book the ferry for you - you can book earlier when you are a registered prior user, otherwise, the pickings get smaller and smaller when open to the general public
* as someone mentioned, sometimes the owners 'buy' many ferry tix in advance - and you will buy the one for your week
*otherwise, if the owner can't help with either of the above, ask if you can get a mon or tues start date for your rental, - you'll hit less traffic, have better luck getting a car ferry over, etc.

*Or, you fly and rent on island, as my cousins do each yr when they come from far away. It's more than the mainland for a rental but not by much.

cybor Jun 28th, 2007 04:37 PM

I rent my place out with cyberental.com which has many options on the Cape with a smattering on the islands.
You'll get more for your money on the Cape but it really depends on your taste and budget.
The islands, as said, are wonderful. If your looking for less touristy areas on the Cape you may consider the elbow up - that is, Chatham to Provincetown which include 40 miles of the National Seashore area and numerous conservation areas.
Tell us your budget and we can help further.

j_999_9 Jun 29th, 2007 05:14 AM

Ack: Just for some perpective: Our friends' place is across the street from the White Elephant. In fact, the house used to be run as an upscale B&B by the WE.