Martha's Vineyard in Sept

Aug 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Martha's Vineyard in Sept

Hi all, need some advice, going to The Mansion House in Vineyard Haven Sept 14 to Sept 18. Flying into Boston and then puddle jumper to the island. Do we need to rent a car? What parts of the Vineyard are "not" dry? Really not sure where to go or what to see. I would like to go to Hyannis, is there a ferry? WHat is the weather like in Sept? Here in FL we are shorts and flip flops 9 months of the year, is it fairly casual? This is a last minute trip and trying to get my ducks in a row. Thanks for any and all advice. Live in Florida and can help with Florida stuff.

Molly
Aug 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Hi,

A car is really helpful on the Vineyard, as it's a fairly big island. Car rentals are expensive though so you might get by with taxis.

Vineyard Haven is the dry town on the island.

There's no ferry to Hyannis, but I wouldn't waste any time going there anyway, especially since you only have 4 days.

The Vineyard is definitely casual, it could be in the 80s or the 60s in Sept. Make sure to bring pants and sweaters just in case.

In general, Sept is a great time to go, have fun!
Aug 18th, 2009, 04:09 PM

MV is definitely casual - we go (almost) every year and stay on Chappaquiddick. I would highly recommend a meal at the Black Dog. It's also in Vineyard Haven and you can bring your own beer/ wine. They will uncork your wine for you and provide glasses. I have never had anything but an amazing meal there.

Weather could be quite cool by September, especially if you're used to FL.

If you decide to rent a car, you might drive to Gay Head (now called Aquinnah) and see the beautiful beaches. Vineyard Haven and Edgartown each have a little shopping district you can wander around. You could also take the ferry from Edgartown to Chappaquidick. If you are into hiking/ walking the beach/ kayaking/ birdwatching, you can find all of those on Chappy. The Trustees of Reservations own quite a bit of property on Chappy and they give guided tours of the lighthouse, etc. Check their website (thetrustees dot org) to see what they offer that time of year. They are a great organization.

Also if you rent a car, you might like to go to MV Glassworks in West Tisbury. If they happen to be blowing glass, it's a neat thing to see, and they have some beautiful glass for sale.

I love the Vineyard, especially a little "off season" when the crowds aren't so crazy.

Enjoy!
Aug 24th, 2009, 04:48 AM

Hi, I live on MV year round &agree w/much of the great advice above. Sept is my favorite month of the year, but you will definitely need a lgt jacket or sweatshirt most evenings. Edgartown & Oak Bluffs are the 2 "non-dry" towns on the island and definitely worth spending time exploring each town.
If you dont feel like renting a car, the public trasp. system is great &easy to get from town to town. If you haven't been here before, I also recommend taking an island sightseeing tour to get "up-island" and to see Aquinnah (Gay Head cliffs) and get a narrative of the island & it's history.
Lots of great places to eat. Your inn should have a menu book of local options. Also, you can check out our blog for some "local insights" on restaurants, activities &beaches.
http://www.colonialinnmvy.com/blog/
Hope you enjoy your stay!

Search this Thread