martha's vineyard restaurants

May 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

martha's vineyard restaurants

My husband and I are spending a few days at Martha's Vineyard May 19th and 20th and would like to know the best restaurants on the island. We'll be moving around the island as we like to "explore". Have read that The Beach Plum Inn is wonderful w/ fantastic views. Where do the locals go? Looking for both romantic and casual places.. I read that we may need to make reservations a few weeks in advance for many places.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Pausanias

Patience, patience . . .

May 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM

I don't think you will find it packed on the 19/20, but I would still make reservations if you don't want to be disappointed

On the Vineyard we like:
Sweet Life Cafe in Oak Bluffs - special
L'Etoile Restaurant, Edgartown - special
Alchemy in Edgartown - more casual, still vineyard pricey, you can eat at the bar, good appetizers and burgers too

Chesca's in Edgartown: if it's a nice night we love sitting on the rockers on the porch and having a drink before dinner and/or after and walking thru the gallery next to it - casual

Lola's - casual - I am not a huge fan of the food - it's ok, but the atmosphere for music and dancing in the bar is great if you want to go after eating elsewhere

on the 19 and 20 I have no idea what is open, if the hours are pre-season, etc - so make sure you check the web pages of places

Beach Plum is wonderful and the views are lovely so make sure you get out there early enough to enjoy them and time to enjoy the back a bit - this is a special restaurant - it is a drive though - where are you staying? having a car or will you be taking a cab?

Among the Flowers Cafe - Edgartown, very casual - affordable -

David Ryans is popular in Edgartown for drinks and light casual meals, but I am not a big fan.

You can always eat at the Black Dog in VH,

We also like Zephrus in Vineyard Haven -

remember in VH and Beach Plum, you will have to byob (although they just voted to change that I think it will be a while before it goes into effect)

May 4th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

thank you all very much for your info - it was/is a tremendous help!
May 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM

I meant to mention - If you are in Oak Bluffs for lunch try Slice of Life cafe which is owned by Sweet Life and diagonally across the street they have great fried green tomato sandwiches aas well as other choices -
May 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM

oops, or the Net Result for seafood if it is open which is near Art Cliff Diner between VH and OB
May 5th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

great! thank you escargot! i can't wait to go!
May 11th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

escargot - we made hotel reservations at the Beach Plum Inn. I am very excited to go! Only a week away! I see that the Inn is also located close to a "famous" restaurant shack called The Bite. Have you tried it?
May 14th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

TTT
looking for escargot...
May 14th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Kealalani

I agree with an earlier post. I like Bittersweet very much - byob. Nice vibe and excellent food. If you hit, or rather when you hit Menemsha, some fresh shucked oysters at Lawsons and some fried clams at The Bite? Mindblock, but raw and lobsters to go and then the clam shack! And do stop by Chilmark Chocolate if you are passing by - a very cool special needs program, which is very well run. I love the Vineyard off season and my favorite is exploring Chappy! Have fun~

May 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Sorry I was away on vacation ! Yes if the Bite is open it is a great spot - and beautiful for sunsets if you can time it for thatk, although also great sunsets at BeachPlum - the staff at the Beach Plum is great - they will be able to give you all the scoop on where to go and what is open, etc -

there are lots of great walks near Beach Plum - if you like to do that check out thetrustees.org
May 29th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

thank you to everyone who gave me info on martha's vineyard. see my first trip report at:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35006653
May 29th, 2007, 06:32 PM

escargot--they are changing the BYOB in VH--wow, a big change! o you know when it goes into effect?

We don't go this year until August so I know I will need to make reservations at the Sweet Life well before we head up there.

I love your phrase, "vineyard pricey."' we call it the $20 island, $20 being the base currency!

Mary in D.C.

May 29th, 2007, 06:48 PM

oops, of course, meant do you know when it will go into effect? I wonder if it will mean more development on the waterfront?
May 30th, 2007, 08:11 PM

I don't know when it goes into effect - there was an article recently about one phase of it being passed and a town meeting/vote regarding the finalizing of it was upcoming - the timing of it and all - I can't find anything online about dates -but I keep looking from time to time. All I thought of was how much more expensive our annual family dinner at Outermost Inn would be...... oh well - progress??
May 31st, 2007, 02:15 PM

thanks; good point about the price; my husband listens to WMVY at the office so I told him to keep his ear open about any news.

Mary
Aug 13th, 2007, 03:00 PM

we're heading up in a couple of weeks and I figured some Fodorites might be back with restaurant ideas to share.

Thanks!

Mary