Martha's Vineyard restaurant reservations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A search here didn't turn up any restaurant tips so I'm hoping to get some recommendations for MV. We're staying in Edgartown next month (Point Way Inn) and would appreciate lunch/dinner recommendations within walking distance as well as other places on the island.

It's been many years since I've been there and was curious to know if the restaurant at the Charlotte Inn is still good. We also ate at an excellent seafood restaurant at the tip of the island--I don't know if that's enough of a clue!

This may really date me, but the last time I was there Hot Tin Roof was THE place to go and restaurants were BYOB. Are either still the case?

Thanks.

Jayne
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:15 PM

You might want to check chowhound.com....
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bookhall. I will.

Still hoping for some first-hand recommendations also!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:57 AM
gyppielou

I'm heading to Vineyard Haven for a week in June. Nothing first hand, it's been a few years since we've gone to L'Etoille. So far I'm intrigued by Balance in Oaks Bluff, Lure, which is at Winnetta and the chef is from the Four Seasons/Boston, Zephrus at the Mansion House and Cafe Moxie in Vineyard Haven....again this is just what I've found online that had interesting menus and atmosphere. Have fun, and thank you for defending on another post. What I'd really like is to find access to the town only upisland beaches...anyone?

Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:41 AM
JBX

Not able to offer any personal recommendations, however have found two websites that are very good for Boston area restaurant reviews. I'd check out what's said for your destination. One is already been suggested, www.chowhound.com and the other is www.phantomgourmet.com.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

gyppielou--if you get back before June 12 will you please "look me up" and let me know your impressions? THAT'S what this board is all about!
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:00 PM
gyppielou

Yes of course Jayne. I am also trying to get access to some of the upisland private beaches....fun!

Old May 24th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks--I haven't been to MV since 1982 so my information is definitely out of date!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 08:00 PM
gyppielou

tomorrow!!!! time will tell...........

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

have a great trip!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 04:46 PM
gyppielou

look for report....ask questions! beautiful!

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:30 PM
emd

What about Atria on Main St. in Edgartown? I was on the Vineyard last year and missed it. It won the Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence in 2002- I think it is the only place on the Vineyard w/that distinction.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:33 PM
emd

menu is online- www.atriamv.com

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:35 PM
emd

one more thing- a client and work colleague, a sweet older gentleman who I work w/almost every day, has a house on the vineyard and I will ask him for other recommendations tomorrow (because we are also going back), and I will post for you. He turned me on to Atria but we couldn't get in on short notice.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:50 PM
gyppielou

topped my unedited report....will try to make Atria's Lobster Mac and Cheese with mascarpone,cheddat, jack ...at home....menu reads well, good staff, ran out of time, may be exceptional,

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:11 PM

Jayne, I was there this past September and went to a couple of good restaurants - I was searching for the BEST clam chowder. One place I remember was a local place near the
"...town" where they have the commune of little brightly colored bungalows where people return every summer. I'll email the friend I went to visit and get some names from her.

We went to a restaurant to the right of the little On Time Ferry heading over to Chappaquiddick (sp). You could sit up on the 2nd story of the deck and eat.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:11 PM
emd

OK, I can't let this one go by. I checked the current Atria wine list on thier site. If you happen to try Atria and need a white wine, the Jade Mountain Viognier on their wine list is absolute heaven on the palate. I had it once. It is very hard to come by on a wine list, or anywhere for that matter (unless you are PamSF or Kal in CA). I love a good Viognier, and this one is right up there. Man, their wine list is good. They even have Duckhorn Merlot (although it's not Howell Mountain, but it's still Duckhorn). This is a seriously good wine list for the east coast.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Returned from MV last night. Sorry to say that I can't report any remarkable meals, not bad, just not remarkable; the overall trip was wonderful. The best Lobster Bisque we had was at Ryan's in Edgartown (actually the best we've ever had). Best seafood was at the Lobster Shanty also in Edgartown(unlike its name it's a nice place with wonderful views.) We did not make to to L'etoile but the locals say it is still as good as it was when I ate there 20 years ago (same owners).Jimmy Seas Pan Pasta in Oak bluffs was good. A couple we met raved about Park Corner Bistro in Oak Bluffs but we never made it there.

I rarely eat more than one full meal a day and never breakfast (which DH had every morning the inn) which is why I don't have a lot to report. When we travel without the kids, DH requires good food and I require good lodging! We stayed at Point Way Inn, which was very nice, but I wish we had stayed at the Charlotte Inn again--if anything it was even more lovely!

We decided to end our trip by staying in Newport for the night. We heard that the "tall" boats were sailing in over the next few days and what a treat that was!
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 07:44 PM

When I visited MV in September we went to the Seafood Shanty in Edgartown (near the Chappy Ferry) and it was pretty good. We did not eat at the dressy upscale restaurants because we were staying with friends.

My favorite place for Clam Chowder is Oceanview in Oak Bluffs (the one across from the brightly colored houses). It's very very casual but very good - a local place. Good luck!