Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Marshall, TX and Caddo Lake for Valentines? What to do and is it any good?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

DH and I live in Houston and want to go out of town for Valentine's weekend but want to try something new. Does anyone have any experience with Marshall TX or Caddo Lake? We were at first thinking of getting a cabin at Caddo Lake but no experience with swamp land. If you have been, please reply back with your experience. We're in our mid to late 30's, no kids, love the outdoors, great restaurants, galleries, the arts, etc. Not much into "antiquing" or the like.

Thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Caddo is beautiful. I can't help you with cabins/lodging and the like since we lived pretty close.
I would get a canoe, pack a picnic, grab a map and spend a day 'touring' the lake.
There are some good restaurants in Jefferson. You don't have to 'antique' to go to Jefferson, it is an interesting historical site with lots to see.
I would personally stay somewhere in Jefferson, it may be more romantic.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM

I have had some fantastic meals at the Stillwater Inn in Jefferson. I have never spent the night anywhere in Jefferson so I can't recommend any one place. I suggest you google bed and breakfasts Jefferson. I know there's also an old hotel.

I have just recently been to Marshall and the courthouse is beautiful, but I am not sure what else there is to see in the area. You can drive through Uncertain and see Ladybird's childhood home; however, I do not know if there's a plaque or anything that draws attention to it, otherwise, you'd just have to know which one it is.

You may also want to think about a paddleboat tour on Caddo Lake. And I think there's a railroad spur or something in jefferson as well.

In this instance, I would suggest that google is your friend.

You might also want to think about Toledo bend if you are coming from Houston. Or Nacogdoches being a college town may have some more cultural things.

I also suggest you visit the Texas Parks and Wildlife website and look for Texas parks and see where cabins rentals are available.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I'm not married to Marshall. If Jefferson is better, than I'm up for that too. What else is there to do in Jefferson? We'd definitely do the canoe (we prefer kayaks - are there any rental kayak places there?)

How far is nacadoches to Caddo lake? I remember being up there once when I was younger but not been back. What else is there to see and do in the area?
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Nacogdoches is on the way to Caddo lake. an hour and a half? I was just throwing it out there because Caddo Lake is a good 4 hours from Houston. I don't know much about Nacogdoches.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi All. Thanks for the info. I thnk we decided to hit Dallas instead. I haven't been in awhile and DH has not been at all. We're thinking of doing Caddo lake with a group of friends closer to spring instead.

Again, many thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Let us know if you want tips for Dallas
Where are you planning to stay?
You be one of the first to try Five Sixty, Wolfgang Puck's new place at Reunion Tower, downtown. My daughter and future SIL work there.

http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page...&item_id=70230

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

TxTravelPro,

Yes please. I'd love some advice. Here's the thread I started.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...maria_so&fid=1

Thanks!