marriott wardman, washington dc.....historic towers or new area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering what people think of these two options at the Marriott Wardman Park in Washington DC. We will be there in early April. The historic section is pricier-is it worth it. What can I expect. Thanks.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 01:03 PM

We stayed in the older section last April and our room AND bathroom both had lovely views of the grounds including millions of flowering bulbs and several blooming cherry trees. The older section is farther from the front desk, but much handier to the Metro station, as the hotel is quite sprawling and the older wing has a separate back entrance for guests. This is a big conference hotel and I got the impression that all the conference-goers were staying in the new part. Got the room on Priceline for $70.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying. Was your room updated and renovated in the historic tower? Can you tell me more about it?
I am hoping the bulbs will be blooming when we are there in early April and also the cherry trees. Did you find this place handy for site seeing of the monuments and how about resturants and the area in general Thanks.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 02:29 PM

The bathroom fixtures were quaint and vintage, but nothing was shabby.

Wardman Park is a nice, mostly residential area, a few minutes walk from the National Zoo but not near anything else. Yet since the hotel is so handy to the Metro, you can get anywhere you need to. Nearby on Connecticut Avenue is a strip of nice little restaurants, every imaginable ethnic choice, with outdoor tables at most of them. Plus a little grocery mart, a CVS and a McDonald's in case you need them.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:54 PM

I have stayed here for several conventions over the years, rooms in the historic section tend to be a bit larger than the new section, but whenever I have stayed there the price was the same. It has two pools - There is a pretty outdoor pool just behind the historic section. All the rooms have been comparably appointed on trips - usually I was with a group of coworkers and we were spread out all over the place in the hotel. I second the Connecticut Avenue restaurant recommendations, just LOVE the Vietnamese restaurant there, also Thai Town. Metro stop is very convenient, Zoo is walking distance.