Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Marriott Waikoloa vs. Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/marriott-waikoloa-vs-hapuna-beach-prince-hotel-554062/)

texasaggie00 Aug 24th, 2005 11:48 AM

Marriott Waikoloa vs. Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel

Hello - We are trying to decide between staying at the Marriott Waikoloa or the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. I have read mixed reviews on both hotels. It will cost about $90 more per night to stay at the Hapuna instead of the Marriott. Has anybody seen both of these hotels? Is it worth the extra money to stay at the Hapuna? Thanks!

beachgirl86 Aug 24th, 2005 12:24 PM

I have stayed at both, (Hapuna twice and Marriott once) and I would say the Hapuna is worth the extra money. We just got back from 5 nights at Hapuna, and last summer, we stayed at the Marriott Waikoloa. This summer, the Hapuna was actually cheaper. Where are you finding your rates? We got Hapuna on Hotwire for $191/night this summer. Lots of times there are specials under their Hot Deals on their website for $199-$219. We have been upgraded both times we have stayed at Hapuna.

Hapuna is on a MUCH better beach with great snorkeling, and lots of free lounge chairs and umbrellas. The pool is gorgeous (infinity style) and overlooks the beach. The rooms, bathrooms, and balconies are much nicer at Hapuna, but the Marriott is undergoing a large renovation right now that will go until Feb., I think. Hapuna also has free valet parking and no resort fee.

The one plus the Marriott has is that it's a little closer to Kona, and right across the street from King's Shops. They are both great hotels, we just preferred the Hapuna. Any questions, let me know!

texasaggie00 Aug 24th, 2005 12:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't aware that Hapuna doesn't have a resort fee, so that makes it only $75 per night more than the Marriott instead of $90. I am planning to go in October of this year. The prices I have found are $174 for Hapuna through Luxury Link and $85 for the Marriott through Priceline.

fdecarlo Aug 24th, 2005 12:48 PM

If that $174 is a real price (and not a teaser) then you should jump on it. The Marriott has only two advantages over the HBP: a larger pool area, and proximity to Kings' Shops and other shopping. In all other respects the HBP outclasses it by a longshot.

beachgirl86 Aug 24th, 2005 01:29 PM

fdecarlo is 100% right. Let us know what you decide, and I am still working on my Oahu/Big Island trip report, but it is almost finished. It's called "A Trip of Turtles", and will have lots of info. on the Hapuna and BI. You will have a wonderful time :)

texasaggie00 Aug 31st, 2005 07:03 AM

Well, we finally booked our hotel. We decided to go with Hapuna and ended up paying $170/night. Can't wait to get there!

crazy4Hawaii Aug 31st, 2005 02:43 PM

That's a great deal! I paid $250. per night for ocean view with breakfast directly through the resort today. I thought THAT was a pretty good deal...

excited_confused Sep 1st, 2005 11:42 AM

How does luxury link work?

texasaggie00 Sep 1st, 2005 12:18 PM

There are a few different ways you can book a trip through Luxury Link. They have auctions and packaged deals, but I have never used those. There is a 'Custom Trip Builder' where you can choose your dates and location and it will come back with a list of hotels and prices (usually only a few options at the most). This is how we booked the Hapuna. Once you make the request, it takes a day or two for them to confirm the reservation with the hotel, then they send a confirmation number to you - your credit card is charged when Luxury Link gets the confirmation from the hotel. I then called the Hapuna with the confirmation number to make sure they had my reservation, which they did.

crazy4Hawaii Sep 1st, 2005 02:45 PM

texas,
What time frame were you looking at? It won't let me use this feature for travel in May/June 2006. Does the travel have to be within 3 months or something?

texasaggie00 Sep 1st, 2005 04:07 PM

I'm not sure how far out you can book - this is my first time to use their web site. I booked for late October.