Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Marriott Univ of MA to DC transportation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/marriott-univ-of-ma-to-dc-transportation-780883/)

wug Apr 23rd, 2009 07:18 PM

Marriott Univ of MA to DC transportation

I'm staying at the Marriott Hotel and Conference Center in Adelphi right next to Univ of Maryland. I'm wondering what the best way is to get into DC. I've talked with someone at the hotel but didn't get very far. She seemed to be put out by having to answer all my questions.
I thought maybe some of the Fodorites could help me. Thanks so much!!

Nikki Apr 24th, 2009 12:39 AM

From the title, I thought you were staying at the University of Massachusetts. That would be a harder connection.

Anonymous Apr 24th, 2009 04:19 AM

You could try the trip planner for the DC Metro; it's at www.wmata.com . Or call the hotel back and talk to somebody else.

The University does have a stop on the Metro subway system, at College Park, but I don't know where that is in relation to the hotel.

wug Apr 24th, 2009 07:25 AM

OOPS! I started to type out Maryland and then just stopped at MA, you're right, it looks like Massachusetts. Sorry about that. It's Univ. of Maryland

vjpblovesitaly Apr 24th, 2009 07:32 AM

That hotel is basically right on campus. On the edge, along University Blvd. You have to go the college website or www.wmata.com (as suggested above) for more info. I think only college students and people who have stayed at the hotel would be familiar with the info you seek.

Have you checked the trip planner that Anonymous suggested?

MikeT Apr 24th, 2009 08:36 AM

The College Park station is on the other end of campus. You could take a quick cab ride to the Metro station; it would be a very long walk.

wug Apr 24th, 2009 10:52 AM

Thanks Mike T. And thank you Anonymous for the website. The thing I mainly wondered about was the distance to the station so now I know it'll be a long walk or cab to even start the journey.

vjpblovesitaly Apr 24th, 2009 11:04 AM

I drove someone to that station from a class once (I was taking a night class, not a traditional college student). I was surprised by how far it was. It is across Rt. 1 and down a road if I remember correctly.

If you go to www.wmata.com and then go to maps and click on College Park, you might be able to find a map which shows you where it is. I think there is a campus shuttle that takes students from the campus to the Metro station.

I think we have all been assuming you won't have a car.

artsbabe Apr 24th, 2009 11:37 AM

Yes, it is across campus, down Rt. 1 and then left. The college park station is closer to Riverdale (FYI for those who live in the area). I would be very surprised if there were not a shuttle from the conference center to the metro or, at least, a stop at the conference center by the student shuttle.

wug Apr 24th, 2009 01:11 PM

I hadn't thought about a student shuttle that may stop at the Conference Center. That'd be awesome. Thanks so much.

You're right, I won't have a car. I'm going to be in charge of a group that's coming in to DC on Monday and we'll have a bus picking us up starting that day, I'm on my own on Sunday though so trying to figure it out. You all have been great!!