Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Marriott Kauai, vs Marriott Lihue (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/marriott-kauai-vs-marriott-lihue-842840/)

Shar Jun 1st, 2010 12:56 PM

Marriott Kauai, vs Marriott Lihue

I need a hotel room for one night only in Februray 2011 and can use my points plus cash to get a room at the Marriott very reasonably but are there 2 Marriotts in Kauai? The one I am looking at is at Kalapaki Beach - which one is that and is it nice. It looks nice but read a couple of earlier reviews that were not very good but not sure which Marriott.

ksucat Jun 1st, 2010 01:50 PM

We have tons of Marriott points too and decided on Grand Hyatt but there was lots of construction going on last Sept..
I believe they have finished and the Marriott Lihue is a couple minutes away from the Airport and considered a 4* resort.
I would stay there and its only one night.
Have drinks at Duke's next door.

sf7307 Jun 1st, 2010 02:05 PM

Yes, there are two Marriotts on Kauai - the other is the Waiohai, a timeshare resort on Poipu Beach. If you're only staying for one night (flying in and out?), I'd stay at the Lihue Marriott because it's close to the airport. It's supposed to have a great pool.

passerbye Jun 1st, 2010 02:42 PM

Kalapaki Beach is actually on a bay, so you'd probably prefer the beach at the Waiohai. But I'd bet you'll have a better chance of getting a decent view at the Lihue Marriott. And, as others have noted, it's much closer to the airport.

sf7307 Jun 1st, 2010 02:49 PM

I agree, I would definitely choose the Waiohai if you're looking for a good beach. Be sure to ask for a unit with a view of the interior gardens or water. Some of the units have lovely "garden" views of the parking lot. The gardens are gorgeous - if you look at the travelers photos on Tripadvisor, you can see them -- the pix are very accurate.

MelissaMorgan Jun 1st, 2010 10:50 PM

Hi Shar. You may want to check out this string from my December trip to Kauai. Good luck!

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...iott-lihue.cfm

Barbara5353 Jun 2nd, 2010 05:14 AM

I love Kalapaki Beach in front of the Kauai Marriott in Lihue. It has gentler wave action than Poipu Beach by the Waiohai. Wonderful to sit on the Marriott's spacious lawn area in one of the numerous lounge chairs and watch...or participate in..the beach activities.

sf7307 Jun 2nd, 2010 08:57 AM

Based on Barbara's description, I just looked at the pictures of the Marriott in Lihue. Does anyone know -- was this always a Marriott? The pictures look so familiar to me, like I visited in another lifetime.

volcanogirl Jun 2nd, 2010 09:17 AM

I've stayed at the Marriott in Lihue, and it's got one of the best pools I've ever been to, really gorgeous. Duke's is a fun spot for dinner. The views are nice; the hotel is more pool focused than beach focused though. Lots of big ships in the water when we were there. Very convenient if you need to get to the airport.

Barbara5353 Jun 2nd, 2010 10:07 AM

sf: If you have been going to Kauai for many, many years, you might remember it as the old Kauai Surf hotel. Then it was lavishly remodeled as a Westin. I believe it was after damage from Hurricane Iniki that it was renovated (again) and became the Marriott.

sf7307 Jun 2nd, 2010 11:15 AM

I think it was the Westin! Thanks....(this was probably late 70s)

Kal Jun 2nd, 2010 12:34 PM

Alohaaaaa sf...;;)
It was the Westin until Iniki Remodeling Co. did it's thing.
Before that it was the Kauai Surf.
My late, great in laws spent a week at the Kauai Surf back in the late 60s/early 70s.
Wish I could find those pix!

Shar Jun 6th, 2010 03:37 PM

thanks all. We are staying in a condo for a week but have vacate 1 day before our flight leaves, hence the one night at a hotel. I can use my Marriott points at the Marriott near the airport and get a room for only $100.00 (not enough points). Sounded good and it is close to the airport which is a plus since we have a morning flight. I think I'll book it.....anyone ever use their spa? Since we have to vacate condo at 11:00 and can't check in until 4:00 at the hotel, we thought we'd do a few spa treatments and use the pool.. Mahalo

bradykp Sep 14th, 2010 07:29 PM

lihue was nice, but the other one is nicer. you have access to both no matter where you stay. i liked lihue, close to airport, and duke's is a great spot for a meal. one night, stay there.