Search

NY apartment vacation rental?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
sks
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY apartment vacation rental?

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with renting an apartment for a vacation instead of staying at a hotel?
Has anyone used www.nyvacationapartments.com?

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:32 PM

Am not familiar with this company - but just had a look at this website. You should be aware that these do not seem to be luxury apartments. Many are marked as cozy (which means tiny) and are walk-ups - which can be up to 4 double flights of stairs - depending on which floor they're on.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 03:01 PM

How long are you staying? If a week, there are some good ones on VRBO, including one in the World Plaza for $179 a night, which seemed like a great value. I tried to get them to come down on a month rental, but they wouldn't budge much.
I've looked at the site you mention and I wasn't too impressed either. What's more I contacted them about their monthly rentals (a semi-separate division) and basically I got the impression that the pictures they show have no relation to what you might get.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:08 PM

I liked what I saw on the website; I prefer hotels myself but for someone wanting a more homey setting and possibility of cooking meals , I think it would be worth a try.

My daughter is at nyu and we found her an appt in Brooklyn (5th floor walkup, decrepit); she had to stay a few days in a hotel before she could move in so I would have taken a studio instead for her based on that site; I'm bookmarking the site for future use; it could come in handy.

Surely someone must have tried those; anxiously waiting to hear feedback.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM

Here's the website for the apartment I got for a week last summer on Bleeker Street (a studio) in a building called the Atrium: metrohome.com. We were happy there for a week and would rent with this company again. This rental company has apartments in other parts of the city and they also have 1 and 2 bedrooms.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:45 AM
sks
Original Poster

Thank you for the input. I checked out metrohome as well and they have something on west 70th and Riverside for 170 plus tax. It looks OK (hard to really tell with photos), but am tempted to go with the Milburn for about the same price and a little closer to Central Park.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:05 PM

sks - On one of our visits we stayed at The Milburn Hotel and we were quite satisfied. Kitchen is small but very adequate. It is nice having the living room as well as a bedroom. Lots of good inexpensive places to eat in this area. Close to subway. Also should mention very good customer service. After booking our suite the price dropped on the hotel website. I called and the hotel changed our booking to the lower rate.

Enjoy beautiful New York.

Sandy