Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Marin County Day Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/marin-county-day-trip-606927/)

sunbum1944 Apr 11th, 2006 08:30 AM

Marin County Day Trip

My daughter and I are doing a day trip from Sacramento on Sat - Is 37 HWY around San Pablo Bay a scenic route to take? Or just take the Richmond Bay Bridge over? Thought we would have lunch in Sausalito or Tiburon. Any suggestions of a waterfront restaurant? Things to do and see -

MichelleY Apr 11th, 2006 08:59 AM

Dear sunburn:

Hwy 37 is different. It takes you along the rim of the bay the marsh lands. You could take 37 over and Richmond bridge back.

I can't help you much with restaurants, in Sausalito. We farm in the delta so one thing we really enjoyed was the Delta-Bay model in Sausalito. It is an acre large model of the area and was used to study the tidal flows in the Delta/Bay. Also nearby are the Marin headlands. Fun for hiking and enjoying the views, but only if the weather cooperates.

I'm sure you will get alot more advice here. Isn't your daughter new to Sacto? How does she like it here?

MY

BayArea Apr 11th, 2006 09:38 AM

37 is a pretty route, but so is the view from the Richmond-San Rafael bridge.

At the tip of Tiburon there is a little restaurant row. Guaymas (mexican) is the best of these in part because it has an upstairs and downstairs deck with beautiful views, but the food is also quite good, as are the margaritas.

sunbum1944 Apr 11th, 2006 09:40 AM

Thanks Michelle- my daughter is new to Sacto- in Nov- she is doing pretty well-
hard to make new friends and start over- her second move in 2 years. I do think she likes living there- just would be more fun if she had more friends to do it with.
Anyway- I used to live in SFO years ago so know my way around a little although am sure things have changed a lot -
so thought we'd do a little explore of Marin county and also help her with some options of visiting SFO without having to take her car over -
Hope the weather will behave

easytraveler Apr 11th, 2006 11:41 AM

Personally I prefer Highway 37 than the bridge route. On a clear day the view can be quite relaxing.

Restaurants in Sausalito - highly recommend The Spinnaker. Terrific views towards San Francisco. Part of the restaurant is over the water so you feel as if the boats are sailing close enough to touch. Pretty good food, some great seafood dishes, some average. Plenty of huge salads if you are into a light lunch.

A more of a young people, wood booths, wood floor, beer place is the Marin Brewing Company (believe it's in Larkspur). On a nice day, you can sit outside in the patio. If they have it the day you visit, try their blueberry beer or the peach beer.

If you have the time, go to Muir Woods. Then have dinner in San Francisco and then back to Sacramento.

Have a great trip! :)

sunbum1944 Apr 11th, 2006 11:48 AM

thanks easytraveler- I think my daughter would love the brewing company
and I think I just discovered that the old Trident in Sausalito is now Horizons- I remember they had a great deck also - had a few Ramos Fizz's there

nevermind Apr 11th, 2006 08:11 PM

My daughter lives in Marin County. We pass through Sacramento on our way to visit and always take 37. Since the freeway was finished in Vallejo, the trip is a breeze. The last time we visited, we drove up Mt. Tam. Spectacular views! Wish I could recommend restaurants, but we have found the restaurants with a view to be lacking in the flavor department. I <i>think</i> we ate at Guaymas one time. The setting was fantastic, but we found the food to be average. I'm hoping someone will respond to your post with a gem!!

My daughter lived in Sacramento for several years, then moved to San Francisco. It was difficult for her at times. I admire and respect her determination, and the way she weathered the lonely, difficult times. She met a wonderful man in San Francisco. They got married several years ago, had a little baby (my first grandchild) and are now relocated to Marin and expecting my second grandchild. There is much to be proud of in a child who is independent and approaches life with determination and resolve! Best of luck and happiness to your daughter.

Have a fun weekend!

bbqboy Apr 12th, 2006 04:54 AM

try this place-
http://www.331fish.com/