Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Marietta (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/marietta-346821/)

rose14 Aug 11th, 2003 08:55 AM

Marietta

I currently live in Florida. The spiders, fire ants, insects, snakes, and summer heat are horrible! I can't stand it! I have never been to GA., but have an opportunity to move to Marietta. What are the creatures and conditions like there?

bob_brown Aug 11th, 2003 09:38 AM

Same problems, but the temperatures from October until mid June are usually quite pleasant. Winter can bring dreary days and even some snow.

Bear in mind that the definition of "Marietta" is not what it once was. Years ago, it was a separate city from Atlanta, but not any more. Urban sprawl has engulfed it. My son lives about 10 miles from the downtown part of the old Marietta, but his mailing address is -- Marietta!!

lisettemac Aug 11th, 2003 09:46 AM

Same problems, but add atrocious traffic and a proliferation of strip malls! You don't say whether (or where) you'll be working. If you are working downtown, you might consider a shorter commute.

lisettemac Aug 11th, 2003 09:48 AM

Sorry -- I hit send before I finished. I wanted to tell you that spring can be quite lovely, especially with all of the azaleas and Bradford pear trees in bloom.

swalter518 Aug 11th, 2003 10:32 AM

I've got relatives in Marietta and have visited regularly over the past 20 years and AMAZED at the amount of growth and congestion. Maybe it's just because I knew what it was before but it seems extremely overcrowded. (I live in a city, I'm used to crowds.)As an aside, my relatives are moving, both to cash in on their house which is now worth 7xs what they paid for it and to get away from the traffic.

dln Aug 11th, 2003 10:45 AM

Rose, we lived in Marietta for ten years before moving to the midwest, and my brother and his family still live in Atlanta. The summer is like Florida's summer, but at least you get a real fall with the leaves turning, and a real winter with ice and snow sometimes. The beautiful mountains are less than 90 miles away. It is amazingly congested but everyone learns how to go places by the back streets, thus avoiding I-75 and 285. The East Cobb neighborhood has excellent public schools, if you have children. Our main problem with creatures were the fleas our pets always seemed to have, but not too bad otherwise! People are pretty friendly, but you won't find many native Georgians in Marietta. Most of the people are transplants as you would be. Why don't you spend a long weekend or more in Marietta and personally check it out? Good luck and much happiness whatever you decide on.

bryarsmom Aug 11th, 2003 11:06 AM

Rose, I drove through Marietta on the way to work this morning!I am a FL. transplant of 8 years-we lived in Ft. Myers/Cape Coral for 25 yrs.

I love the fact you get more of a real season change up here---we look foreward to the fall leaves changing and the spring flowers emerging each year. One BIG plus is the absence of those darling little cockroaches and Palmetto bugs!Haven't seen a one up here!
Pay scale is higher up here, but so is the cost of living. We have oodles of great restaurants all over town-fit for all budget-types. Many excellent churches and some good private schools.(I am personally opposed to govt. public schools). Home sales have slid recently-but I'm sure you know that, as interest rates began rising.

I think the biggest thing I'd have to consider, knowing what I know now, would be the commute time to my job.Our traffic gets to even the most laid-back, easy-going type eventually. It's not like anything you've experienced in FL. Be sure to weigh all your options carefully.

sk84fungirl Aug 11th, 2003 03:53 PM

Just wanted to weigh-in on this topic.

I have been in Atlanta 18 years and have really seen the metamorphosis (sp?). Would encourage you to purchase your home based on location, schools, neighborhood, etc. You will pay much more to live close to the city. That still doesn't guarantee a great commute. Quality of life in ATL likely includes traffic.

Have never lived in Marietta but know parts of Cobb county are awesome. Anywhere north of Atlanta is extremely populated.

Welcome to the A-T-L!!!

sk84fungirl Aug 11th, 2003 03:54 PM

forgot to mention...

not nearly as humid as FL!!!

Parker Aug 12th, 2003 05:02 AM

I would like to put in an endorsement for Marietta proper - Marietta within the city limits. I got married and moved here with my new husband 20 years ago from a very small town in Northeast Georgia. Having grown up in a small town, I really wanted to live in a town, not a subdivision, and I've found Marietta to be exactly that.

So many people who live here grew up here and loved it so much that they stayed to raise their families here. In our early years, every time my husband went to Kroger, he would bring home a friend for dinner that he had run into! The city has its own school system that is over 100 years old! I would estimate that 40% of the students are children of adults who grew up here.

The traffic is an issue no matter where you go in the metro area but you learn to live with it. The downtown square is full of antique shops, restaurants, and stores, and has all types of activities year-round. There is a national park, Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield, that provides hundreds of acres full of trails for hiking.

There are bugs (spiders and such) because it's such a wooded area. But it is definately not as hot for as long as your current location. As a transplant, I'm sold on this town!!

Please check out the city's website at http://www.city.marietta.ga.us/ for additional information on activities, etc. There's link to the Marietta Conference Center which is a beautiful hotel near downtown if you're considering a trip up to check it out.