Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

March in California...your fave getaway spot this time of year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby's b-day is approaching.
Thinking of hitting some spot
close to Easter this year.

Too early for Pt Reyes' best wildflower displays? Or, perhaps
this year, things would be right on target?

Also considered Forestville & the Russian River area/Sonoma coast with its vineyards. BUT...was interested in canoeing there & it sounds like summer might be the only way to include that.

Sonoma itself? (never been...
only had one quick stay in Healdsburg once)

Other ideas/places I'm mulling...
Carmel Valley? (never been for a 'stay'...any recommended 'romantic' inns that aren't way over the top in prices?)

Was hoping to spend in the $200-250 range at most, but understand may have to go a bit over that. However, not really 'up' for spending $400/night, either. :-\

Carmel itself...again, open to
fave spots...including opinions on the Mission Ranch & Lincoln Green locations. Are these spots best for families, perhaps? Can you walk anywhere from *either*
of them?

Other off the beaten path suggestions? Death Valley?
Btw, would rather save true So. Calif for another time, as have to head down there in April anyway, for a family function. Thanks for any & all ideas, Fodorites!

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM

This is kind of a fun place, and is actually quite luxurious.

http://www.safariwest.com/

You'll be close to Healdsburg, and wineries, and Calistoga, which is a fun town to explore whether you are brave enough to get a mud bath or not.

I enjoyed my visit to Ca'toga, which is just open on Saturday mornings part of the year, but it is a great place for a Daydreamer.

http://www.catoga.com/

All the areas you mention are wonderful, and have great little towns to explore, and restaurants.

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM

We were just in Monterey last weekend and there were quite a few kayakers out on the bay (it was about 65 degrees that day)...not quite canoeing but close!

All of the area you mentioned are great as we live in the SF Bay Area and wisit those places when we have a chance. I really like the Sonoma/Napa area and all of the wineries!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Ahhh Kailani, you beat me to that! I've heard a lot about Safari West, going there tomorrow, and will post a report next week.

We'll be doing the morning ride and the BBQ lunch. After that, the kids want to go to Schultz in Santa Rosa, we'll decide there.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Do you know there is a Snoopy Ice Arena?

http://www.snoopyshomeice.com/history.shtml

In the café they keep a table reserved for Charles Schultz. Just seeing it made me tear up. It's fun to have a coffee and watch the skaters.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM

As far as a birthday spot with the hubby, I might like Manka's Inverness Lodge near Pt. Reyes. I bet it is beautiful this time of year. It's fun to cruise around Point Reyes Station, and there are so many great hikes and drives and romantic restaurants.

Manka's is the restaurant that caught on fire, and Jake Gyllenhall helped save it! I think it's recovered, and the food is quite special.

http://www.mankas.com/mankas/home.html
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Since you said you and your husband haven't stayed in Sonoma before, Daydreamer, you might enjoy staying at the historic and redone Sonoma Hotel. It's located right on the the town's beautiful plaza. Plenty of amentities both at the hotel and within strolling distance. At this time of year with much fewer tourists, a stay in Sonoma should be an Eden-like experience.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys!
Wow...just way too many nice things to choose among.

I'd love to read the report on Safari West next week, Faina, when you have a chance to post one, btw!
Interesting, as it also offers lodging...certainly could be unique. But, since we just returned from Yellowstone...I may
save this idea for later, but not sure yet. Kailani...have you overnighted there, per chance?
How was the food? Any vegetarian options, if you recall?

Any thoughts on wildflowers near Pt. Reyes & the green hills/dairies? Too early to go March 22 or so? (for best 'green')?

Manka's...I didn't think it had re-opened yet, but I'll give them a call. Prices used to be really, really high but will see if they vary at all into lower 200's or not.
(or mid)

Sonoma being Eden-like sounds tempting. I wonder if it really would be so quiet this time of year? (since we have to go on a wknd) If so, I imagine the vineyards are indeed greening up?

Hmmm...and Beth...
which kayaking co. did you use?
Would you recommend them again?
Did you see tons of wildlife or...?
Any rec's on romantic spot to stay?
I'm considering Pac Grove & Carmel,
when heading down there. Just not sure whether to do now, or later, too. I wonder if the iceplant is in bloom yet? Well, thanks everyone!! More research to do tonight....have to get back to work now. Best regards!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Kai, probably I won't see your reply, but... by the ice arena they had famous skaters' signatures, kinda Hollywood Walk of Fame for figure skaters. Are those still there?
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:38 PM

I can't remember for sure about skater's signatures, but that sounds familiar.

I've never actually stayed at Safari West, but about 9 years ago, it was for sale, and my crazy idealistic friends and I were going to buy it, until we realized we would be in way over our heads.

We took a tour of the cabins, and they are gorgeous, with beautiful artisan wood beds, etc.

I took my elderly mother on the tour and we had dinner. Because I'm a vegetarian, I know you can eat there, and you may just skip the meat course, I'm not sure. The food was pretty good, a nice salad bar, veggies, bread, maybe potatoes, dessert and wine.

It is not as impressive as going to Africa, but you also don't have to take all the shots and travel for 20 hours. It's fun.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Kai, we made reservation for BBQ lunch for 5 regular, 1 veggie - I asked them, they said, yes, they CAN accomodate vegetarian.

Skaters signatures - I have pictures of Yamaguchi, Hamilton, Hammil, don't remember now who else, posting from work. I am a fan, and don't remember who's signatures I have Just wondered if they are still there, but I may know tomorrow.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kailani.
Good points...
Did you see the cabins recently
or did they have them way back when
you considered purchasing the place with friends? Pretty cool
that you'd even consider that.
I'll have to learn more about this spot...have heard it mentioned on Bay Area Backroads, as well. Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 04:21 PM

The cabins had just been built. There were 12 of them, all hand crafted. The B & B part had not been opened. They ended up taking it off the market, but at the time 400 acres and 400 animals and 12 cabins and 3 houses cost as much as one house in Palo Alto, so in theory, it sounded like a good investment.

You can just drop by Safari West, and look in the gift shop, and look at the giraffes, and say, Oh, I'm just stopping by, maybe I'll stay next time. I've done that with visiting kids when we don't want to actually take the tour which is expensive. You can't see everything, but it's still fun for kids.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM

We are heading out next weekend for a stay in Idylwild and it is beautiful right now, though a little chilly. There should be snow in the mountains but if the weather stays like this, you can still hike in a tank top! Probably too far south for you, but definitely worth checking out!

http://www.quietcreekinn.com/

Another place that I read about last week but haven't stayed at is a Bed & Breakfast that is on a Dairy Farm/ Cheese makers near San Luis Obispo. It is definitely on our list of places to try. From the article it sounds very romantic, and close to all the Central Coast wineries!

http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-tr-cheese2mar02
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the further feedback on Safari West.
Wow! What a deal it sounds
like it was...except for the difficulty in supporting the animals properly. (and costs of doing that for their diet, etc.) Definitely will check out this spot for a stay soon.

And Cat...thanks so much for your links. Idyllwild
sounds far right now, as we can only do a quick wknd
but SLO town area is a regular region we pass through so I can't wait to
try that out one day! (I'm a softie for such places/operations & secretly wish I could lead a 'bucolic' life oftentimes)
But as that article points out, it's not for the faint of heart. ;-) We often only have a night, however, when in that area...and it looks like it requires two..
so will see when it could work. Thanks again!!