Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

March good weather for Hawaii, warm enough to swim?

Dec 6th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

I feel kind of dumb asking this question because there is so much info out there about Hawaii travel (and I have read tons of it). Everything I read says March is the end of their winter. Is is warm enough to swim then? We were hoping to take surfing lessons on Waikiki. Originally we were going in May but some good flight deals just appeared. We would be leaving around March 3 and staying for 2 weeks. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Dec 6th, 2003, 02:25 PM

Every day is a good day to swim in Hawaii. In the winter months, you just need to be more careful of where you swim - the waves and riptides are much more dangerous then.
Dec 6th, 2003, 03:07 PM
gyppielou

That is the dumbest question ever, unless you've gone to Bermuda in March!!!! You'll be fine, Hawaii is blessed with 12 months of surfing and sunning! Although it could snow on the BI------which again will have no effect on surfing and sunning! Have a blast. 9 and counting!

Dec 6th, 2003, 08:26 PM

Actually I don't consider it a dumb question.
Many people go to Hawaii for the first time expecting the water to be warm like the Caribbean. It's not.
I find the water off many of the beaches in Hawaii to be very cool, much like the waters off California.
Not that it is too cool to swim in, but it's not balmy, either.
Dec 8th, 2003, 05:27 AM

Will it be too cold to swim and snorkel in January in Maui?
Dec 8th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Here is a link for water temp. averages for Oahu in March (~76 degrees F):
http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/hawaii.html

Here is a link for Maui ocean monthly temps:
http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/content.php?pid=19 (January~75 degrees, Maui).

In my neck of the woods, i.e. mid-atlantic states east coast, we are lucky to reach ocean temps. that rival these and usually the local Atlantic temps. do not exceed 74 degrees F.

I find water temps. in Hawaii to be refreshing in Feb. and March for snorkeling and have never felt them to be cold. The ocean in the Caribbean is warmer and relaxing, but in my opinion is not as refreshing, or the fauna within as stimulating as what one can experience in just a few steps offshore in the Hawaiian seas.
Dec 8th, 2003, 06:58 AM
iceeu2

Can't answer about January..but, we have snorkeled on Maui in March and it was wonderful.

Dec 8th, 2003, 09:07 AM

My sons and husband have snorkeled in Maui in December, January, and March. It was fine for them; however, to cold for me--any water less than 92 degrees is too cold for me. But I rarely get in our pool in Oklahoma-where summers are really hot-till the 4th of July.
Dec 8th, 2003, 04:48 PM

March is just beautiful! I go every year during the first two or three weeks of March. You can count on seeing whales breaching continually in Maui off Lahaina. Water is lovely and temperatures perfect. It's a GOOD time to go.