Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Manzanar as a day trip between Yosemite and LA. Is it possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I know it will be a very long day. Google maps says app. 5 hours between Yosemite Bug and Manzanar Historic Site. Then let's say...2 hours to explore Manzanar. And then Google maps tells me it's another 3 1/2 hours from Manzanar to LA (Santa Monica). Add one hour for pit/lunch stop. If I leave at 7am, I'm thinking the earliest I will be in Santa Monica is 7 PM ( which, hey, might work out, because I may miss the worst of LA traffic anyway.) I'm spending 3 nights at Yosemite, so I will probably be fairly well rested.

From the look of the map, though, I'm guessing I'm traveling through a particularly hot and desolate area (mid July.) I could be wrong, it just doesn't look like there is much "in between". And sometimes inland roads are not great, adding more hours to the drive. Heat does not bother me but boredom AND heat can be a deadly combo.

So... I'd like anyone's input on this route, especially if you've driven it in the summer. How is 395 as a road? Are those Google estimates accurate? What can I expect in midsummer? Any neat/interesting pit stops or scenery or am I looking at a loooooong monotonous drive (Think Yakima, WA to Richland, Wa. My eyes glaze over just thinking about that stretch of road).

All that said, I really would love to see Manzanar. Audited a university class several years ago about American West History, and one unit was spent on Japanese American internment and Manzanr in particular. Fascinating stuff, and if the detour is not too horrible, I think it would be worth the effort.

So, bottom line, is this idea insane, useless, or workable?
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you staying at the Bug? That is a pretty long way from Yosemite Valley -- but never mind.

To answer your question -- no, Yosemite to Manzanar to SM is not doable in one day. 395 is a wonderful road - but you are talking about 550 miles and 10 hours behind-the-wheel time w/o any stops or any traffic in the LA basin.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Janisj, thanks for the speedy response

Bummer. Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. Considered cutting a day off Yosemite but decided I'd regret that.

Yup, I know the Bug is a bit of a drive, but everything in the park is sold out or too expensive for my dates. I don't think I'm going to be lucky enough to land a camping spot in the park, and the KOA (usually my back up) is in the same location as the Bug, Midpines. If you have any further suggestions on that matter, I'd love to hear them. Right now, my cheapest option (shower access is my only requirement) is the Bug and riding the shuttle YART to the park.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 11:49 AM

The Bug will be cheaper, but have you tried either the Yosemite View Lodge (nicer/more expensive) or the Cedar Lodge (cheaper) in El Portal?

Both are just outside the west gate and a very easy drive into the Valley, and also on the YARTS.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Yup, Cedar is more expensive than my Curry Village option, which I'm tempted to do, but can't justify it, especially since yarts serves the Bug.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 01:28 PM

Yes, the YARTS serves the BUG - but it takes forever. 90 minutes from the Bug to the Visitors Center.

If you can get into Curry Village you will save at least 3 hours a day just in transit.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 05:50 PM

Could you spend your final night near Yosemite on the east side, somewhere like Lee Vining? That would cut a lot of hours off your trip down 395 (which is, by the way, a very interesting route.)