Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Manhattan Weather (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/manhattan-weather-221619/)

Elaine May 16th, 2002 09:59 PM

Manhattan Weather

We will be arriving next week for a two week stay. According to the 10 day weather forecast the weather will be drastically changing almost every day, rain, high 70"s, low 60's, and the nights appear to be in the 50's.<BR><BR>I was under the impresson that on warm days, the nights also remained warm. Is this not the case???? Will I need to bring a heavy coat or heavier jacket to be comfortable, in the evenings - after dinner, theater etc..<BR>I had hoped to get by with a sweater.<BR><BR>Thanks, I can hardly wait to get there.<BR>

lisa May 17th, 2002 05:01 AM

It has actually been pretty chilly here for a while. The nights are not particularly warm (except for last night, which was beautiful). If you're planning on being outside a lot at night, I think a sweater and/or a light jacket will be fine. I wouldn't bring a heavy jacket.

Donna May 17th, 2002 05:25 AM

It's very likely to get quite chilly at night. Bring a sweater and a jacket. Some nights you may appreciate having both to wear together. Even better, a raincoat with a zip out lining - not only is this perfect for rainy, changing, weather, the pockets are handy, too.

Lois May 17th, 2002 05:33 AM

I would take both a light sweater and light waterproof jacket. That way, if needed, you can wear both the sweater and jacket, although most likely one or the other will be enough. I'd strongly suggest packing for rain. We've had a lot of it recently. At least, throw in an umbrella. I hope you have good weather and a great visit!

Frank May 17th, 2002 05:37 AM

The weather is hard to predict 3 days ahead, never mind 10. Weather in late May can be anywhere from 55 to 95 degrees, not much of a help regarding dressing. Typically, you can expect mid to high 70's, perfect for sightseeing. The weather this year has been strange, very little rain through April and 95 degree weather a month ago. May so far has been wet and cool but it can change on a dime so dress for Spring and bring an umbrella.

Elaine May 17th, 2002 07:37 AM

Thanks so much. I couldn't have asked for more detailed answers.<BR><BR>Elaine

Elaine May 17th, 2002 07:51 AM

Generally when it rains this time of year, is it heavy, light showers, or short splurts? Does it rain for the better part of the day or night, or just short periods? We plan on doing lots walking, day and evening.

Jen May 17th, 2002 08:59 AM

Elaine, we have had all of the above types of rain conditions within the past two weeks. You really can't rely on a weather forecast more than 24 to 48 hours in advance.

suzanne May 17th, 2002 09:45 AM

Last night it was so darn hot out I couldn't sleep with the windows wide open. Today, it was very warm out during lunch, but it suddenly got chilly & I had to run back to the office. Now it seems like it's going to rain. Weather can be changeable and wacky this time of year...gotta be prepared for anything. (though I doubt a heavy coat would be necessary. I've put all mine away for the season).