Search

Manhattan Marriott Property December

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manhattan Marriott Property December

Greetings,
We (husband and myself) will be in the city for one day/night in December. I am using Marriott points and would love some feed back. We will be seeing a show and having dinner (main focus of trip) the other activities will depend on the weather. We have both been to the city on numerous occasions.

Choices are:

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel (never stayed there)
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West (307 West 37th Street (West 37th Street & 8th Avenue)

New York Marriott Marquis (tends to overwhelm me but it is only for one night)

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square (I liked this location and have stayed there a few times - rooms are VERY small)

The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection - no idea on this property

Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection - no idea

JW Marriott Essex House New York - this is my favorite to date but I am concerned with the limited time and the time of year it might not be as great (I stayed there in perfect fall weather and spent a great deal of time in Central Park - riding bikes, walking etc

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 03:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is "overwhelming" about the Marquis? I am certain you know how to operate those elevators by now!
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 03:27 AM

I think it may take luck to get in anywhere with points in December unless you mean very early December.
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 04:07 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd go with the Renaissance. Friends stayed there and their room was a nice size for NYC - a couple with a young girl. It's in a busy area of TS but not as overwhelming as the MM and once you're checked in it will be the best for just one night with a show.

I checked TA and the reviews for the Courtyard TSW are very good, just as good as the Renaissance. It's a new hotel and the rooms seem to be a good size and it would be the 2nd best (or 3rd after MM) for walking to/from a show - depending on the show's location (40s vs 50s). But you like the Essex and that's a very good location and may be just about the same distance walk - depending on the show's location.

I'd probably try the Carlton. I love the Flatiron location and would head down to Union Square markets the next morning (and of course, Fishs Eddy). Plenty of restaurant options and you could zip up to TS via the subway. The reviews on TA are not as good, so you may not be as happy with the rooms.

The Lex would be too far east for me for that time of year and walking back from a show. You could take a bus but cabs would be hard to come by after the show. Maybe it's a personal bias but it stems from walking back to the Grand Hyatt in winter after a show years ago.

What a great list to choose from! Have a wonderful getaway in the city!
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 05:15 AM

The best hotel is the brand-new Courtyard Times Square/Central Park, but of these, I'd definitely choose the Renaissance. My second choice would the be the Marquis, my third would the the Courtyard Time Square West.

I love the Carlton hotel, but it's pretty far from Times Square, and you definitely couldn't walk to the theater from there.

The Lexington is within 15- to 20-minutes walking distance of Times Square, but that may be too far if it's cold. Ditto the Essex House.

Of course this all depends on the show and the restaurant. There are Broadway theaters and restaurants that are much closer to the Essex House than the Courtyard on W. 37th.
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Dukey - that is funny! I meant at times being in the middle of TS is hard for me.... I get sensory overload - but it is one night - it is cold as noted above and that makes a big difference for me.

Ack - I was suprised and delighted to see all of the above hotels come up as available on our date. I thought it was odd but I will take it!

Starrs - good insight and information and thank you for the well wishes -

Doug - always good info - thank you!

I was able to book the Renaissance - Now to find a show!
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Idina!
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Doug - I double checked at that Marriott Courtyard Times Square/Central Park is available and it is 10,000 less points than the Renaissance - why is it your "best" ? I have booked them both right now and will cancel one...
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 09:36 AM

The Marriott Courtyard Times Square/Central Park is brand new, and it's at the corner of Broadway and 54th Street. That's an unbeatable location (and it's just a block from my office so I know it well). It's far enough north that you are very close to but still away from the crush of Times Square. And you're definitely walkable to everything in the area.

If you stay there, I'd recommend ViceVersa if you are interested in a modern Italian restaurant, and it's just a couple of blocks away between 8th and 9th Ave on 51st Street. But again, where you eat may depend on the theater. If the theater is west of Broadway, then you'll want a restaurant west of Broadway, too.

It's a high-rise, and my guess is that you get a room that does not face the park for 10,000 fewer points. (And I believe Renaissance hotels may cost more points than Courtyards because they are a higher-ranking brand.)

For shows, if you can get tickets, I'd recommend On the Town, which is just about to open and still shows up at TKTS. But you need to buy those tix now. If you could get Side Show, that would be a coup, but it will be full price; it opened this week to some of the most positive reviews of the season so far, though oddly it's at TKTS today.

Also good: Cabaret (TKTS now but likely not for long because Emma Stone is getting great reviews), Beautiful, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (TKTS now), Hedwig and the Angry Inch, If/Then (TKTS), Pippin (TKTS), and Once(TKTS) ... the latter two are closing soon.

For plays: You Can't Take It With You (sometimes TKTS), It's Only a Play, A Delicate Balance (showing up on TKTS now), The Country House (TKTS), Disgraced (on TKTS and new discounts just announced).

I'm also seeing the fantastic Curious Incident of the Dog in the NIghttime at TKTS sometimes. Boy, if you'd gone to TKTS today for matinees, you would have had your pick of most of the best shows on Broadway. That will definitely not be the case in December.
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Doug! I think we will go with the Marriott property and save the 10,000 points. Thanks for all the information on the shows - I am looking at them!
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 11:49 AM

Doug, is that the new highrise that has two hotel brands in it? They've been building it around a friend's apartment building for the last couple of years. If so, MomDD you'll be neighbors. If you had more time, y'all could meet.
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 02:03 PM

Yes, that's the one. The other half is a Residence Inn. On TripAdvisor, I see that people do complain that the rooms are small ... but that's typical for NYC. But I think the brand-new-ness and the location should help compensate.
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 07:09 AM

Thanks Doug. Just confirmed with my friend on FB too. GREAT location! 'd stay there in a heartbeat.
Momdd, if you had more time I'd introduce y'all. He's a fascinating man and gave me a private tour of MoMA a few years ago. When you go back, let me know. They are "good folk". Just got back from China; the photos are fabulous.

If you are still considering Cabaret, it's just steps away.
http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/You...Studio-54.aspx
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 07:11 AM

Also -
ENJOY FOOD & DRINKS AN HOUR BEFORE EVERY SHOW
AT THE KIT KAT CLUB

http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/You...tKlubInfo.aspx

Menu -
http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/Rou...3-5x9.75_2.pdf
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 10:04 AM

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Times Square/Central Park in early October on Doug’s recommendation. Perfect location. Also ate at ViceVersa for Sunday brunch before a mid-afternoon show. Excellent food and nice atmosphere. We loved both places. I strongly agree with the recommendations.
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 05:55 PM

I see that I'm in a rut ... but perhaps in a good way.
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We talked about the different shows this morning and opted for If/Then - we were able to get very good seats via American Express preferred seating at what was not a total arm/leg price.

Going to check out ViceVersa! Thanks again - exciting about our Christmas present to each other!
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Reservations made! Thank you!!!!
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 08:59 AM

I'm so happy you choose Idina! Can't wait to hear about it.
Have a great trip!
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Starrs! We are pretty excited - I am a huge fan and have never seen her live.

It is very nice to have something to look forward to and we cannot think of a better Christmas gift to one another than an evening in NYC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -