Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Manhattan Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/manhattan-hotels-317251/)

skfavas Mar 5th, 2008 03:30 PM

Manhattan Hotels

We are visiting New York from Australia in September. The Affinia Hotels have been recommended but I note there seem to be two in Manhattan - Affinia 50 and Affinia Manhattan. Are they similar? Is one better than the other? Their prices are comparable for our 6 days but we are a little confused. SJF

Ryan Mar 5th, 2008 03:42 PM

If I recall, both the Affinia hotels all suite hotels. I don't know how they are compared to other options. Trip Adviser usually has numerous reviews on hotels. I've found it to be a good place to look.

In terms of location, both have their good and bad points. The Affinia 50 is on 50th Street and 3rd Avenue. You're around the block from a police station so it's fairly safe. You're about two blocks from two subway lines that both have multiple connection spots.

The other location is near Madison Square Garden and Macy's. It's a bustling area during the day. Perhaps less so at night.

Personally, I'd send someone to 50th Street, assuming relatively similar costs and if cost is an issue.

nytraveler Mar 5th, 2008 04:53 PM

There are a bunch of Affinia hotels in Manhattan. All get reasonably good reviews - assuming you want the larger room of one of their types of suites.

The comment about the one being safe since it's around the corner from a police station is very odd. That area is a prime business district - with a residential area as you head further east.

NYC is the safest large city in the country - and I can't imagine any area much safer than the one that hotel is in.

But - not right near a lot except shopping - on Fifth Ave and Bloomies up Lexington. But you're right near a subway to get to other areas of the city.

Agree that the one near Penn Station is less desirable since that area is quite dreary at night - and doesn't have a lot of decent restaurants.

doug_stallings Mar 5th, 2008 05:56 PM

I actually prefer the Affinia Dumont, which is on 34th Street between 3rd and Lexington aves., but this is the area of the city where i live, so I know it best.

My least favorite Affinia hotel is the Affinia Manhattan, which is across from Madison Square Garden. Good tourist location but way too busy for me.

dmlove Mar 5th, 2008 08:27 PM

An acquaintance of mine stays at the Dumont once a year. He tells me that he thinks the lobby and staff are both a little odd, but that once you get upstairs, the rooms/suites are fantastic.

Seamus Mar 5th, 2008 08:30 PM

Agree with Doug on this - have stayed at both and while the room was a bit larger at the Affinia Manhattan we enjoyed the Dumont more. The location near MSG is quite convenient to Penn Station but does put you in the midst of the tourist fray. The Dumont is a smaller, quieter property in Murray Hill a bit east of the midtown crowds but not a far walk from everything you'd need. Affinia also has the Shelburne and Eastgate in the same general area. We have not stayed at either of those but based on experience with Affinia's other properties would not hesitate to do so.

skfavas Mar 5th, 2008 10:32 PM

Thank you all for your interesting replies. We have been to New York before, two years ago and we found it to be totally safe with security guards everywhere - they were pleasant and very helpful people. We felt very safe and loved NY - that is why we want to return. We are presently booked into the Washington Square Hotel but as we are seniors we feel it is a bit too far from the downtown action and has apparently quite small rooms and is comparatively expensive as it is just a two star hotel. We were interested in the many positive comments about the Affina chain and they seem to be closer to downtown NY. Any further suggestions would be gratefully received. SJF

wildblueyonder Mar 6th, 2008 01:14 AM

We are going to NYC for the first time, in June. We were booked into the Affinia Dumont, but I've changed that to the Hampton Inn, Times Square-North - mainly because it is more central (close to Broadway, Times Square, Rockefeller Center and Central Park). There are very good reviews on TripAdvisor. Just another option for you. http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hote...tyhocn=NYCMTHX
Trip Advisor reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

MFNYC Mar 6th, 2008 07:12 AM

Shelburne Murray Hill is also an Affinia suite hotel. It's located near Grand Central Station. It's a better location than the ones near Penn Station. We've had many visiting friends/reltives stay there and they were all pleased.

mclaurie Mar 6th, 2008 07:29 AM

The Affinia.com Group actually has 8 all suite hotels in Manhattan. Some of them carry the Affinia name while a few do not. They're all similar in that they all have suites like apts. ranging from studios (all 1 room) to 2 bed/2 bath suites. The locations and the degree of "niceness" will vary. You can see photos on their website as well as on the review pages on tripadvisor.com by looking at "traveler photos" on each hotel's review page.

In order of niceness (imo)taking into consideration location and how recently rooms were renovated, I'd say:

Benjamin
Affinia Gardens
Affinia Dumont
Affinia 50
Surrey
Shelburne Murray Hill (this might be in process of renovation now)
Eastgate
Affinia Manhattan

I am surprised to hear that any but perhaps the Aff. Manhattan would be comparable in price to the Washington Square which is usually only $250/night max. The Affinia group does offer some reduced prices if you pay in advance, so maybe that's how they can be similar.

dmlove Mar 6th, 2008 08:37 AM

I stayed at the Shelburne Murray Hill (awhile ago) and it was "tired" even then. Unless it's been renovated, I wouldn't stay there again.

nytraveler Mar 6th, 2008 10:04 AM

Sorry - None of the Affinia hotels are downtown. they are all midtown - which is a major business/shopping (traditional department stores) district as well as the theaters around Times Square..

Downtown is further south and has a bunch of different areas (financial district, city government center, Greenwich Village, Soho, Battery Park City etc.)

Uptown (upper east or west side) has Central Park and many of the major museums.

skfavas Mar 6th, 2008 05:50 PM

Just looked at the Milburne. It seems well priced. Does anyone know anything about this one? I can't seem to find any reviews apart from their website. Thanks again everyone for your help. At present we are leaning toward the Affinia Dumont or the Milburn. SJF

AustinTraveler Mar 7th, 2008 05:34 AM

http://tinyurl.com/yww9er

Reviews from TripAdvisor.

skfavas Mar 7th, 2008 12:54 PM

Many thanks. SJF