Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Manhattan hotel for lst timer with elderly mother (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/manhattan-hotel-for-lst-timer-with-elderly-mother-797350/)

raelond Jul 24th, 2009 11:28 AM

Manhattan hotel for lst timer with elderly mother

My mother is turning 80 in November and I am taking her to New York for her birthday. She is in good health, but we want a hotel that is central so that she doesn't have to walk too far. My budget is about $250. per night. We are staying 5 nights and plan to see two shows. Any info would be appreciated.

ellenem Jul 24th, 2009 11:51 AM

Aside from the shows, what else do you plan to do? (No hotel is central to all the sights, so a little extra info will help us help you.) Also note that it is easy to hail a taxi in Manhattan which can make most trips door to door if your mother gets tired.

For show discounts, look for options now at broadwaybox.com.

nytraveler Jul 24th, 2009 04:25 PM

That budget isn;t very high for November. And agree that no hotel is central to everything. The Times Square area is good for shows -but bad for restaurants and a lot of other sights. And she might find the subway too difficult (often more than one flight of stairs). Buses or cabs would probably be a better option.

I would check travelzoo.com to see what they have available and consider bidding on Priceline.

If you will consider the upper west side (mid/upscale residential with tons os good inexpensive restaurants and near Central Park and a lot of major museums) On the Ave (a good moderate hotel) is offering an internet special for only $199 per night for a double room (about $235 wit tax) through the fall. But nights are limited and rooms need to be reserved quickly. You may want to check for you dates. (And I think this area - busy but not frantic - might be better for your mother.)

Laurie Jul 24th, 2009 08:10 PM

What do you think about the Travel Inn? www.thetravelinnhotel.com It seems fairly well located and has rooms for $175 in October.

ellenem Jul 24th, 2009 08:14 PM

I'm not wild about the location of the Travel Inn--too far west and too near the tunnel craziness in my opinion for the needs of this group. It's a consideration for people who are looking for free parking or a pool, but to be close to the theater and other sights there are many better options.

djkbooks Jul 25th, 2009 12:33 AM

We've stayed at the Travel Inn many times. Unless you're driving while there (and this hotel offers the advantage of free parking if you are driving), you wouldn't be aware of any tunnel craziness. There are many, many dining options going north on 9th Avenue, and along 42nd Street toward Times Square. Keep in mind that the long east/west blocks are almost 2/10 mile.

If you're able to save with a great rate (also try Hotwire or Priceline), that offsets the occasional taxi fare.

If you can find rates within your budget, the hotels on 44th between 5th/6th are ideally located with Times Square and the theater district on one side, 5th Avenue on the other - but, it's a very quiet street that seems a world away, with excellent dining options. The Millenium Broadway is similarly located, and a long block closer to the theater district.

I usually book theater tickets first, and consider theater locations and dining destinations when selecting a hotel. But, a short walk may be very long for someone who is 80, and you may have to opt for taxis sometimes. So, again, if you can find a more favorable rate elsewhere, the difference will offset taxi fares.

lincasanova Jul 25th, 2009 01:47 AM

I have won the Roosevelt and the Intercontinental on priceline for less than $110 recently. Both hotels are near Grand Central and have many breakfast opportunites, etc. nearby. But have also had to pay up to $125, too.

See www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com to see what others have posted about their wins for your dates.

My elderly mother and I took more taxis than usual but also used the buses down to the seaport area. By saving so much on priceline bidding you have plenty of cash left over to do this easily by taxi everywhere. Enjoy!

Distances are HUGE in NYC no matter where you are staying, but central seems more logical to me, too.

Rhea58 Jul 25th, 2009 02:23 AM

The Warwick @ 55th on 6th has a senior rate of $165/nite
which comes to $192/nite w/all the taxes.
I recently stayed there & they had one of the most comfortable beds, in-room coffepot upon request, copious travel material & 2 umbrellas in room. 24/7 free (3) computers
in room off lobby.
Each night walked up 6th after the theatre. You might want to check it out.

mclaurie Jul 25th, 2009 05:54 AM

Being "central" doesn't mean she won't have to walk because even the theaters are spread out over a 10-15 block area. If you know which 2 shows you'll see, that would be helpful info for us. Of the places mentioned, I think the Warwick is one of the best options. It's upscale but not fancy and in a very good location near the theaters but not right in the middle of Times Square. I'd also look at the Casablanca, the Muse, the Algqonquin and the Iroquois. You may find some better prices closer to your trip so you might consider booking something cancelable now.

raelond Jul 25th, 2009 11:01 AM

I booked tickets yesterday for A Steady Rain which plays at the Schoenfeld Theatre. We will also see Westside Story. I have now decided to up my budget on a hotel to about $300-325 without tax. We are Canadians so we have the exchange rate to add on. My mother would love to get tickets to Letterman. I don't want to prepay a hotel and was hoping to book directly with a hotel. My mom is so excited about this trip that I want to make it special for her. Any info on a wonderful restaurant I could splurge on would be great. Thanks

ksucat Jul 25th, 2009 11:10 AM

we love the Benjamin Hotel and its mid-town across from the Waldorf and it used to be the old NBC building..mostly suites with all the old world charm.
I think she would love it...they also have a pillow concierge which every great hotel should be mandated!

mclaurie Jul 25th, 2009 12:29 PM

You don't say what kind of hotel you'd like (ie modern skyscraper with views or something smaller and more classic). The Millenium Broadway and the Marriott Marquis are pretty close to both theaters but that puts you right in the middle of Times Square which is quite crowded. The ones I mention above are more classic style boutique hotels.

sf7307 Jul 27th, 2009 09:32 AM

<i>My mother would love to get tickets to Letterman</i>

I don't recall what week you will be in NY, but two things...one, write for tickets NOW, and two, if it's Thanksgiving week, I am pretty sure the show is "off" (reruns). If you do get tickets, you need to line up early, not everyone with tickets actually gets into the theater.

TC Jul 27th, 2009 12:20 PM

Have a look at Quikbook.com Lots of deals for mid-November as long as its not the holiday. You will have more difficulty finding (and usually pay more for) a double/double room. King rooms are the norm, so do make sure you get the configuration that is right for you. I would suggest the Times Square district as many hotels offer easy access to the subway and you can walk to shows. If the price is right, I would highly recommend The Muse. Excellent hotle, great location, very good staff.

raelond Jul 29th, 2009 01:04 PM

I have decided on the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. We are going November 10th for 5 nights. I have the tickets for A Steady Rain which I got minutes after they became available to the general public. I am also thinking about the Lion King or West Side Story.