Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mandarin Oriental Hotel OR Setai Fifth Avenue in New York? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mandarin-oriental-hotel-or-setai-fifth-avenue-in-new-york-924094/)

ebvacationer Feb 15th, 2012 01:09 PM

Mandarin Oriental Hotel OR Setai Fifth Avenue in New York?

We are going to visit our son and daughter-in-law for a week in April. They have suggested the Mandarin, but another friend of theirs suggested the Setai. I understand both are very nice, but the Setai has studio suites and the rooms are larger. Any suggestions please! (Would like good service, nice view, etc.) Thanks, eb

starrs Feb 15th, 2012 01:12 PM

Mandarin. Oh to be able to swim in that pool! <dreaming>

ebvacationer Feb 15th, 2012 01:24 PM

Thank you starrs!

Bowsprit Feb 15th, 2012 01:26 PM

Also take a look at The Four Seasons, The Penninsula, Trump International, etc. However, between the two you've mentioned I would choose the Mandarin, hands down.

ekscrunchy Feb 15th, 2012 01:37 PM

It depends on where you want to be located and what you plan to do while you are here.

I doubt if there are many people on this forum who can make a comparison based on first-hand experience. I can't remember reading many/any reports, or even reading any comments, from people here who have mentioned staying at either property. We can comment on location, but the pros and cons of their respective locations will vary depending on the individual.

Are you a swimmer?

starrs Feb 15th, 2012 01:44 PM

eb, take a look at the pool -
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/newyork/leisure/

"(Would like good service, nice view, etc"

Talk about "nice view" :-)

Bowsprit Feb 15th, 2012 01:59 PM

eks: There is no need to write a review of a 5* hotel, is there? It would be rather boring: "Oh, it was just divine! Exactly what you'd expect!" Whatever. If I haven't stayed, but are simply making a suggestion, I will state that. There are very few calls for recommendations between 4* and 5* hotels; most people posting here are looking for a huge amount of space and/or a huge bargain.

Starrs is right. The hotel pool is wonderful and when we used it we were the only people enjoying the atmosphere.

ebvacationer Feb 15th, 2012 02:04 PM

Our son and daughter-in-law live in an apartment - 400 w. 55th St. and I understand the Mandarin would be very convenient to them.
Thanks for all the input! Loving it! :)

ebvacationer Feb 15th, 2012 02:08 PM

And no....we're not really big swimmers but love the water and usually go to warm destinations (beaches and pools) for our vacations, but the view from that pool looks awesome! Might have to take a nighttime dip! :)

Bowsprit Feb 15th, 2012 03:20 PM

eb: Plan on that; you won't regret it.

ebvacationer Feb 15th, 2012 03:47 PM

Thank you Bowsprit! :)

nytraveler Feb 15th, 2012 04:12 PM

Don't know about Setai. Mandarin Oriental is excellent in terms of decor and service (I was doing a meeting with a couple of very fussy atendees). But - a room with a view is more expensive - I don;t recall the prices since we were charging back to a client - but I think my deluxe with a view was about $900 - not in high season.

ebvacationer Feb 15th, 2012 04:34 PM

thank you nytraveler!!!

starrs Feb 15th, 2012 04:39 PM

My guess is that there's a better chance of getting a "view" room at the Mandarin than the Setai - based on location.

ebvacationer Feb 15th, 2012 04:53 PM

Thank you too starrs!!
Will try to book it!
And now...any suggestions for bars, plays, etc.? Will definitely want to go to the are museum! And sightseeing!
Love this forum! Everyone has always been so helpful! :) e

starrs Feb 15th, 2012 04:56 PM

The Frick is my favorite museum. If you are looking for discounts on plays or musicals, check broadwaybox.com.

ebvacationer Feb 15th, 2012 06:30 PM

Will check it out starrs.....

Bowsprit Feb 15th, 2012 06:41 PM

I'm sure your son and daughter in law will also be able to offer up some ideas. Enjoy your visit.

ekscrunchy Feb 16th, 2012 03:21 AM

Bowspirit: My point was that there are probably only few people here, if any, who have stayed at both hotels. All I know of the Setai is that they have an excellent restaurant inside!

Bowsprit Feb 16th, 2012 03:45 AM

eks: I know. But I HAVE stayed there and felt very comfortable commenting. Which I did.