Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mandalay vs. Venetian spa - vegas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mandalay-vs-venetian-spa-vegas-281579/)

lisa Dec 27th, 2002 05:41 AM

Mandalay vs. Venetian spa - vegas

Hi,<BR><BR>I will be going with my family to Vegas and want to treat my mom and I to a spa day. I have heard good things about Canyon Ranch at the Venetian. Is it worth the extra money? Treatments are a lot more expensive than Mandalay Bay (which I have also heard good things about).<BR><BR>I know you can also use the exercise room at the Canyon Ranch. How are the exercise facilities at Mandalay? Do they compare? Any other spa you would recommend?<BR><BR>Thanks!!<BR><BR>Lisa

x Dec 27th, 2002 05:42 AM

The Bellagio

Wendy Dec 29th, 2002 09:10 PM

I just was at Canyon Ranch at the Venetian with some of my friends and we really enjoyed it. I have gone to a lot of spas though and unless there is a specific treatment that Mandalay bay doesn't provide I would go with the better priced. CR does have a wonderful women's only steam room, sauna and huge hot tub which is great. If MB has the same I would try that.<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>Wendy

viv Dec 30th, 2002 04:00 PM

Which hotel are you staying at? I would go to the spa in my hotel. Just would feel more conveniant.

IceAlisa Jul 7th, 2003 02:51 PM

I want to tell you all so that you don't repeat our mistakes! The Venetian is supposedly one of the most luxurious hotels in the world and the Canyon Ranch Spa is touted as a world class spa....what a load of crap!!!! I don't remember having worse accommodations and service in Vegas.
They gave us a smoking room instead of non-smoking and it stank to high heaven. The stopper in the sink was broken in two and had hair wrapped around it! The toilet smelled like urine! Needless to say I was livid. They promised us a different room next morning, which we didn't get until late afternoon. Meanwhile they tossed us out of the smoking room to ionize it to try to get rid of the smell of the smoke. They told us to come back in three hours. We came back after 1 am to find the stink alive and well. Gross...

I raised a lot of hell with the management and they compted us some, but not enough. I think they owe us a beluga caviar and Dom Perignon breakfast to make up for this bs. Off to the world-renowned spa we went. Dilapidated, ugly, dirty facilities, the worst I've ever seen. Thick layer of scum floating in the corners of the hot tub. No spa water (with cucumber, mint and lime). Uncomfortable ugly furniture. Broken steamer in the steamroom, no eucalyptus oil. I could not believe it. The treatments were actually very good but then they are good at every hotel on the Strip. Except the spas in all the other hotels are cleaner, nicer and cheaper. Grrrr!!! what a rip-off.
On the bright side our new room was nice and we saw a cool art exhibit inside the hotel.

So if you ever find yourself in Vegas looking for a nice hotel and spa treatment, go to Mandalay Bay which is beautiful, the spa is palatial and is a lot cheaper.
Avoid the evil Venetian!

hotandsweaty Jul 7th, 2003 06:34 PM

Agree on Canyon Ranch!

We were there in June and it was a very huge disappointment- cannot believe they still haven't fixed the steam room-

the fitness classes were great, but there are much better choices and the mandalay spa had a much more luxurious atmosphere- canyon ranch was very health-oriented as opposed to luxury oriented which is shocking at those treatment prices.

JeannetteC Jul 7th, 2003 07:10 PM

I go to the Mandalay every year on business. We all use the spa there and it's first class. The exercise facility is wonderful with all the most modern equipment and squeaky clean. They give you shorts and tee shirts too. I'm not really a spa person but my friends are and they rave about it. I haven't been to CR but based on my experience and my friends' recommendations, go with Mandalay!

BethH Jul 8th, 2003 07:47 AM

The Mandalay Bay spa is beautiful - the best I've been to in terms of amenities. The hot tubs, steam room, etc. are great.

I actually went to the Tropicana spa last week for the first time. The amenities certainly are not fancy, and it is fairly small (clean, though), but the treatments were absolutely the best I've had. The massage therapist was great, as was the woman who did my facial. And I believe they are more reasonably priced than the larger strip hotels. So - you might want to consider the Trop if you are more interested in treatments over the overall look of the spa.

ga9497 Jul 8th, 2003 10:45 AM

Check into the prices of the spa at the Four Season, within Mandalay Bay.

Also if you get spa treatments at either the Four Seasons or Mandalay you get to use their pools for the day.

flopmeister Jul 8th, 2003 11:41 AM

i've been to Mandalay 6 times in the past 3 years and have used the spa each time. last time, my wife had a full massage and skin treatment and she said it was FAB. it is a very large facility and their spa menu is available as a pdf on their website -- they've also got yummy things to munch on while you're there. we like mandalay because, unlike venetian it is away from the hustle and bustle. the beach and pool area are also unbeatable either before or after the spa. never stayed at the venetian so i cant comment but IMHO you cannot go wrong with Mandalay -- and the rates this summer are really cheap. one fyi if you have a male significant other -- the massages are SAME SEX so if he's like me, he'll probably take a pass on mr. hairy knuckles rubbing him down. the exercise facilities are great at mandalay too.

my wife said that the spa at the bellagio was way too crowed and snooty.

clairelong Jul 8th, 2003 03:59 PM

I had a super massage (best ever) at Bally's, they have new massage rooms and the girl i had was excellent and the pepperment scent helped along with the flowing tabletop fountain and fluorescent light in the room (all were a plus). I went to MGM (which was suppose to be the best-no it was not) the amenities were not good. I would have to say The Mirage has a great waiting room with super snacks and things to drink, very modernized and someone always wanting to know if they can get you something..i loved that. But all in all, Bally's won hands down due to the girl i had was excellent along with the fountain, scent and light in the room made an A+ massage!