manahttan club

Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

manahttan club

My daughters & I have resv. for MC 3/18-3/22.
I have read some mixed reviews, on different postings. 2/27/07 I read a review from a man who stated he & his family just stayed there & it was a dull,dingy,roach hotel! said it ruined his vacation.
OK getting a little nervous here...
Any feedback?
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:15 AM

It is a time share, but a very well maintained one. We stayed there for a couple of free nights on our way to Europe coutesy of friends who owned a couple nights that were about to expire. The entire place was very nice -- excellent furnishings and decor, spotlessly clean, and we had a wonderful two room suite with two full bathrooms. I would think anybody calling this place "a dull, dingy, roach" hotel probably had some axe to grind -- (disgruntled time share owner perhaps?). It just doesn't make sense, and I would ignore that comment if it were about a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton as well.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. very much.
I believe we have th e smaller suite,just 1 bath.
Any reco. for breakfast in the area. I here MC has cont/bf. at 12.00 per.
We will most likely keep juice ect. in room.
Any suugestions?
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:18 AM

I love a place called Maison, on the corner of 53rd and 7th, a short block away. (Although I was really disappointed when they took the duck hash with poached eggs off their menu). Crepes and pastries as well as the usual egg dishes. And I think they still do hot beignets with your coffee.

I've learned that keeping juice in your refrigerator (even really good fresh squeezed stuff from a nearby market) will save you a lot over getting a glass of the stuff at most breakfast places. Adding $15 for 3 small OJ's every day at breakfast adds up quick.

You are close to a number of delis, including Ben Nash, Stage, or Carnegie -- all are good for breakfast if you are hungry. For very light, look for Cosi, where they have nice coffee drinks, fresh fruit and make "egg sandwiches" on good breads. Cheap, quick, and good. Corner of Broadway and 51st, also very close.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:21 AM

By the way, I don't know what your deal is at Manhattan Club -- some are specific apartments by owner, etc. But I suggest you really smile on arrival, point out your two (or is it more?) daughters and politely ask if there are any suites with two bathrooms available. It can't hurt-- and with three or more females, I think it would be a wonderful advantage. Actually, I think we were only to have one bathroom and somehow we got upgraded.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:36 AM

I don't know where you read that bad review, but it sure isn't on tripadvisor which has mostly glowing reports.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

One person does say (on Jan 2, 07) "The condition of the hotel does seem to have slid a little in the last year or so. It's not dirty or broken, just not all sparkle and flash. The maid staff is top-notch as is the bell staff. Friendly, fast, efficient -- really the best I've seen in years."

Keep in mind one side of the building is the Park Central hotel. I wonder if that person may have stayed at the hotel and written a review of the timeshare. I do gather they're sure not the same level of "niceness."

In addition to NeoPatrick's suggestions for breakfast, I'll add Le Pain Quotidien on 7th ave & 58 st.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

This is the review I read.
Found a cockroach in my bed!!!
By A Yahoo! User
02/24/07
Overall:
Service
Cleanliness

Last Visit:February 2007This place was dingy, run down, had roaches, the staff were nasty and unhelpful. One of the elevators got stuck (the elevators typically take 10-15 minutes to arrive) and when they arrive are filled to the maximum every single time. The tv. was positioned so that you could not watch it from the bed. No restaurant and 12. for continental breakfast in the lounge (even if you just wanted coffee). THis was a nightmare of a trip! I would not stay at this place for free- and paid 315. through Expedia. The positive reviews must have been written by owners of the timeshare wanting to rent their time!

Was this review helpful? Yes - No (Report Problem)
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the breakfast suggestions!! I'll print them off, for the trip.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:07 PM

As I said, that review sounds like someone had an axe to grind. I can't imagine why the elevators would "typically take 10-15 minutes to arrive". I doubt we ever waited more than a minute or two, and I know the place was completely full. Obviously this is a reviewer who should be ignored. And this really sounds like one of those reviews where the staff was probably nasty only because this was clearly a nasty customer. One wonders what the poster did to get the staff nasty to him.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

I agree, sound like he had a "burr up his butt".I should have realized that. I just got a little nervous.
Oh! thanks for the idea. We'll smile nice ask for the upgrade. It coulnd'nt hurt.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM

We stayed there a week in one of their suites and I would certainly return. I don't know about upgrading at the desk, since they are timeshares. We purchased someone's unusued week for a specific level of lodging.

Elevators: at the time we stayed, they were remodelling the upper floors. One of the elevators was out of service, so there was some waiting and crowding but hardly enough to be a problem.

The TV thing just sounds weird. For the most part they are cookie cutter rooms. Ours were just fine and the rooms aren't big enough for the screens to be out of view.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. We booked thru expedia. I think they have some units that are owned by the timeshare. I did read on a post (i think tripadvisor) that sometimes they do sometimes offer upgrades.
Which size suite were you in? How many people?
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM

I would tend to agree with mclaurie, i.e. someone may have confused MC with Park Central hotel. I have stayed there (Park Central) a few times and can tell you that the rooms can be a bit dingy and the elevators are very often slow and can very often take a very long time to get. I've never heard anything negtive about Manhattan Club and in fact am considering booking for our next trip to NYC.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM

Confusing it with the Park Central is a good idea, except that they don't charge $12 for a continental breakfast. No, I still say he's an angry timeshare owner trying to get even. There are numerous other "angry" reviews -- most of them about how hard it is to get a reservation there even when you are an "owner".

Regarding the upgrading. The room we were "given" by timeshare owning friends is just supposed to be a standard one bedroom/one bath suite, but we did get upgraded. They were rather upset when on one of their trips they were unable to get what they are owners for and were instead put in a tiny "studio", and it was the one time they brought along a niece so it was very crowded with the three of them. Although owners have a specified type of unit, that doesn't mean that's what you are limited to.
Another place to find them for rent is on RedWeek.com
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM

I stayed a week there and it was spotless and I never saw any bugs of any type although I'm always suspicious of big city hotels. No matter how nice there are it can come with the territory.

Elevators can be slow. MC could use another one or two and could move faster. My guess is 15-20 minutes is a big exaggeration unless it was close to check out time on a weekend.
If all you want is coffee then why not make your own in the room? They give you Godiva coffee packets daily. Microwave popcorn too. There's also a half size refrigerator in the room. Restaurants abound in the area but New York prices are steep. We enjoyed a breakfast at Maison's too. I suggest glancing at menus before being seated so you have no unpleasant surprises. Location is fantastic and we were happy to exchange our timeshare into this upscale city timeshare for spring break this year. I'll come back next month and report whether it changed from a nice timeshare to a dive next month all in one year . I doubt it was a MC TS owner who wrote that because it doesn't help their exchange rate. Perhaps a fired employee or someone in sticker shock from NYC.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

UPDATE 3/23/2007
Got just back from our trip.I’ll post a full account of it soon. But back to Manhattan Club……..

We loved it! When we (daughter 18& 20) walked up to the door the bellman greeted us with a big smile & opened the single door for us, so we didn’t have to go through the revolving door with our luggage.
We checked in . The check - in clerk was not overly friendly ..just very business like. We asked for an upgrade. They did have a larger room available, however it would be extra. We decided to take it. Two bathrooms & 3 girls make for happy travels. The lobby was very nice. A concierge was on duty helping a couple make resv. for a show. We did not deal with him , but I saw him interacting with many guests & he seemed very friendly and helpful.
Our room (1bdr. 2 bath, suite) was very spacious , one bath had a shower , the other a tub.A small kitchenette was in one corner of the suite w/ a table & seating for four. Dishes, glasses & coffee cups were provided, as well as a dishwasher ! Coffee, tea & popcorn were provided too.
The room was very clean. The sofa had some wear, but not very noticeable. Extra linens were in both the bedroom & living area closets. Two robes were provided as well. There were plenty of towels, shampoo, conditioner ect. in the baths . We did not request extra towels, shampoo ect. , but I did see other quests on two occasions ask the maid for more supplies & she was extremely nice. I heard her say “ how many?, do you want more?, are you sure that’s enough?.. How about some of this ?
The only time we had to wait for elevators was around check- out time. This is a typical experience at any hotel at check-out time.
The pull-out bed was just that…a pull-out bed. I don’t think I’ve slept on a comfortable one yet. One of the girls volunteered to sleep there the rest of the trip. It didn’t bother her. The mattress in the bedroom was VERY firm. We were to tired to care. However I wouldn’t have minded a softer mattress.
As the TV problem, in the bad review I read previous to our trip. ….The TV is in a TV cabinet with doors. Open the hinged doors….you can not see the TV from the bed ! Oh! Wait… Slide the pocket doors straight back into the cabinet…..miracle…..you can see the TV. I guess the reviewer couldn’t figure out a pocket door.
On check-out, we left our bags w/the bellman until we left for the airport. We did some more shopping & had a few more things to stuff in our bags. When we collected them, the bellman put them on a cart & wheeled them to the seating area & told us to make ourselves at home rearranging our bags & to take our time.
All three of us agree. We would stay there again.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM

I have noticed on Redweek.com some really great prices for Manhattan Club. Sometimes they are for a full week with random dates. Sometimes they are for a very specific week. Sometimes they are just for one to six nights.
I keep forgetting to tell people to check it out, because it can be a real bargain, especially for the full suite like you had -- and I'm so glad you got the extra bath! I guess we were lucky that they upgraded us to one without even asking and not charging us anything.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks , I had read your op and was wondering how you made out - can't wait for the entire trip report to be posted -
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM

I too just came back from the Manhatten Club and had a very similar experience and this was the second time I stayed there a week. They are supposed to replace matteresses in the next year according to a timeshare board to heavenly bed type ones. They are very hard particularily the king size ones. They are also supposed to go to LCD TV's too. I'll probably go back in a couple years NYC is great!