Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mama's Fish House question... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mamas-fish-house-question-758514/)

shothyme77 Dec 28th, 2008 03:43 PM

Mama's Fish House question...

We've heard raves about this restaurant and plan to try it this weekend when we get to Maui. We will be staying in Wailea so I wasn't sure if it was best to go on some random night or to go after the road to Hana. Where is it located in reference to Wailea? Also, is there a time that is better than another to go? Sunset? Thanks!

beanweb24 Dec 28th, 2008 04:07 PM

Mama's is very near the start of the Road to Hana, so it is doable after you drive the road. However, if you're going to hike, etc., you might want to reconsider since Mama's is a "nicer" restaurant (but still "nice casual" and not dressy I would say) and you will at least want to be clean for it. :)

I would probably *not* go on the same day as Hana, though, as the drive makes for a long day and I prefer having a nice, long, and relaxed meal at Mama's.

Sunset is a very nice time to go...which would be around 6:00 p.m. next weekend.

beanweb24 Dec 28th, 2008 04:09 PM

One more tip...Google maps is very helpful for figuring out where things are located.

Have fun on your trip.

ksucat Dec 29th, 2008 11:26 AM

We like Mama's for lunch..you can see the ocean and the prices are a lot cheaper.
Dinner is so overpriced that its just not fun..imo

SeaUrchin Dec 29th, 2008 11:41 AM

Yes, I like Mama's at lunch too when you can see the ocean and take advantage of the lunch prices.

suze Dec 29th, 2008 11:42 AM

Is Mama's really "all that"? That dinner is worth the price? Seems so expensive and there's so many other nice places on Maui.

ksucat Dec 29th, 2008 11:51 AM

personally, it's good but not all that.

Gellers Dec 29th, 2008 11:57 AM

It has quite a lot of atmosphere. You're not going to find a restaurant back home that's quite like it, IMO.

We had a good dinner there and thought it was worth the money. Very romantic and fun.

shothyme77 Dec 29th, 2008 12:02 PM

Thanks. The menus on the website don't have prices...Can you please give me an idea of lunch/dinner prices? Thank you!

hmmm Dec 29th, 2008 12:14 PM

Haven't been in years, but, the prices are comparable to other upper tier restaurants on Maui. The atmosphere is memorable, and, the food is very good.

Ebo Dec 29th, 2008 12:25 PM

If I'm remembering correctly, our tab was around $140 for the two of us. And that only included a glass of wine for myself and a mixed drink for DH. The food was excellent and the setting gorgeous. However, if we had to do it again, we'd spend the money at our absolute favorite place on Maui...Sansei in Kihei. Yum!!

ksucat Dec 29th, 2008 12:27 PM

There is a reason the website doesn't have menu prices..you would be floored at how much things are..
I am used to Maui prices and not to knock Mama's but I prefer lunch.
I think for lunch we got out of there for under $200 for two..dinner was close to double that if I remember correctly.

Have a great time and report back!

sylvia3 Dec 29th, 2008 02:02 PM

Been there twice, thought it incredibly overpriced and overhyped.

Marginal Dec 29th, 2008 02:19 PM

I love Mama's food. However, the last time I was there, I didn't think the fish entree was worth the $57 price. I also prefer going for lunch and just having a couple of appetizers and a drink.

suze Dec 29th, 2008 03:17 PM

mahalo... appreciate the details. thanks.

breckgal Dec 29th, 2008 03:47 PM

After spending the day on the road to Hana, the last thing I wanted to do was go out for dinner to a nice restaurant. I would go there another time when you are relaxed and refreshed.