Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mama's Fish House, how do you incorporate meal during the road to Hana trip?

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you leave early in the AM, it looks like you would pass it before lunch, and if you want to drive around the island you wouldn't pass for dinner. Do most people just turn around to go back for dinner? or make a seperate trip (looks like it is an hour away from west maui). Is there any road that can bring you from the south part of the island back to Mama's fish House, or do you need to drive along the coast?

Thanks,

Scott
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 04:20 AM

When we visited Maui a few years ago we explored the road to Hana and turned around after reaching the town of Hana and wished we had made dinner reservations at Mama's for the way back.
I recall one poster on this board commenting about how they were going to bring extra clothes to change after the road to Hana before dining at Mama's. Casual attire (hawaiian shirt/ shorts/ sandals are fine for Mama's evening wear.
By the way, suggest you try the local grown coffee choices available at Mama's, you will probably be pretty tuckered out at that point!
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 04:47 AM
MMN

I have heard people talk about going to Mama's after the Road to Hana - but I don't understand how they do it.
The RTH is a FULL DAY activity. We started on it at 8AM and did not return to our hotel until almost 8PM. We probably could have gotten to Mama's by about 6PM if we wanted to, but we would have been exhausted & needed a shower from all the sun & waterfall swimming.
We actually had other dinner reservations that night & ended up cancelling them for take-out from the Outback Steakhouse. That was all we could handle.
P.S. We did go to Mama's another night & it was FABULOUS. Definitely ask for a table by the window & take in the sunset. Food was excellent as was the service. I would highly recommend it - just pick a night where you can relax & enjoy.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 06:05 AM

Hey Scott,

When my wife & I were in Maui in February, we (like you it sounds like) didn't want to make the extra hour trip to go to Mama's, so we incorporated it with our Road to Hana excursion. We made a late (8 P.M.) dinner reservation since we knew there was a lot to do and see. We set out pretty early from Wailea (before 7) and the plan was to do most of the stops and little excursions mentioned in Maui Revealed, drive the backside of the island, and still make it to Mama's by 8 (while you're right in that it's true you don't pass Mama's if you do the whole trip around, it's not that much to get there from where the backside road lets you off).

It was around 6:15 when we finished up Seven Sacred Pools and while the mileage is about the same from there to Mama's whether you go on or make a u'e and turn back, the better road conditions the way we came made us think turning around would be the best chance for us to make Mama's by 8 (ended up about 20 minutes late but they held our table as we called ahead to let them know we'd be on the late side). We changed in the car on the way back and while, yes, this wasn't optimal dining conditions (a shower would have been nice), it was really fine and didn't dampen our Mama's experience at all.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 06:34 AM

The last two times we were on Maui, we went to Mama's for lunch on the day our flight left to return home. Since these flights are usually in the late afternoon, it worked out great. This time, we actually checked out of our hotel, went to the airport around 11 AM and checked our luggage for our 5 PM flight. Then we went to Mama's for a nice leisurely lunch, went down the road and watched the windsurfers for a little while and returned to the airport about 3 PM. Worked out great.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, ok, it looks dooable, at the end of our road to Hana day. I'm even considering stopping at Mamas right after we land, before we get to the hotel. Thanks for the topping JohnD.

Scott
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:58 AM

Scott, We began the Road to Hana by 7 am and went all the way around pacing ourselves to get to the 7 pools and leave by 5:30 or 6 for our 8:00 reservations at Mama's. We made it after changing clothes in a local gas station. It is a very scenic and romantic restaurant. My husband and I were disappointed in their mai tai (we had already been spoiled by the Hula Grill on that one) and learned to order One drink and share the taste test before ordering a 2nd..otherwise we switched drinks (I hate sending a drink back to the bartender just because I'm picky). My husband ordered the opakapaka and it was delicious. I ordered their macadamia encrusted mahi and it was dry. Needless to say I was disappointed as I was looking forward to that all day. I did learn that mahi tends to be drier and started ordering the opakapaka when given the choice of the two. Enjoy! BTW - call ahead for reservations at least a week before and ask for a table close to the beach.