Search

Mama's Fish House and Road to Hana

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mama's Fish House and Road to Hana

Hi there,

Leaving for our honeymoon in 3 weeks - we are staying at the Kea Lani. Would you recommend driving the Road to Hana and stopping at Mama's on the way back, or is Mama's really a separate trip? If we do combine them into one, and leave quite early in the morning, what time would you recommend making our reservation for?

THanks!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:39 AM

I know many people do this, but I can't image doing Mama's after exploring east Maui. If you do Hana Hwy properly you should be dirty, wet and tired after swimming, hiking and exploring. When I spend the knid od $$ one spends at Mama's, I like to be rested and cleaned up, even put on a splash of makeup. Of course, YMMV

Do look for another thread from today on Hana Hwy--there is road work going on this summer and will mean that part of Hana Hwy before Ke`anae will single lane, resulting in slowed traffic, long waits, etc. Either leave very early or expect to spend some delays.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:40 AM

You can definitely stop at Mama's on the way back from the Road to Hana. We stayed at Four Seasons (a few hotels down from Kea Lani)and left around 7am to to the Road to Hana. We made it all the way to Hana and stopped a lot on the way and was back to the hotel by 2pm. We went to Mama's on another night and the drive really wasn't too bad - maybe 25 minutes or so. Therefore, I do not think you 'must' combine - just depends what your preferences are.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:47 AM

I would also recommend going to Mama's on another night. We stayed in Wailea and left at 6:30am for Hana/Halekala park and didn't get back to Wailea until 6 that night. There is so much to do on that drive that I would have hated to of felt the pressure of making a restaurant reservation.

We were so exhausted after the drive/hikes/swimming we ate at the Tommy Bahamas in the Wailea shops that night and had maybe a total of 4 bites of our dinner. I'd hate to waste a great meal at Mama's just because you were worn out.

I'd really recommend doing the Mamas dinner on another night.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I didn't realize it was so close - only a 25 minute drive. That being the case, I think we have to choose between Nick's and Mama's if we do it another night in time for sunset. That being the case, which would you choose? And does it defeat the purpose of those places if we go after sunset?

Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:30 PM

I think 25 minutes from the Kea Lani is a bit optimistic, especially if you head that direction in the afternoon rush hour or you are the rare person who observes speed limits, but it is still not a bad drive. I'd allow myself more like 40 minutes.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:27 AM

I have never been to Mama's but I have been to Nick's. I agree with all the others, no way should you do the road to Hana and a big dinner in the same night. You wil be very tired so keep dinner low key. Nick's is awesome ,my favorite, but it is not on the beach so a sunset is not that important.We are also leaving for Maui in about three weeks for our third Aniversary, we also honeymooned there, you will have a blast!!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the input! If Nick's can be enjoyed without a sunset, then we'll save Mama's for a night when we have nothing else to do and can get there early, and go to Nick's late one night after sunset.

Thanks to everyone, and congrats JenGT on your anniversary and exciting upcoming trip!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:47 AM

Mama's is on the north shore and while it faces kind of north-west and you will have a sunset sky, you don't get sunest proper from Mama's. The sun wil set over the west Maui moutains, not on the water liek you will get on the west-facing south or west Maui locations
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Oh - hmmm... I guess we'll be seeing a lot of sunsets anyway given the fact that we'll be there for 2 weeks on 3 islands, so the main question then is which of the two, Mama's or Nick's (or other) would be your choice for your big dinner out? (we're also doing the private dinner on the beach and the Old Lahaina Luau which take up the other nights)... Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:49 PM
pjv

Go on another night. I think it's best in the daytime. We went after Iao Valley.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:17 AM

For opinions (of all kinds) about the Hana Road, see another posting ("An Argument Against..."). Doing this part of the island is all about how you want to spend a day handling curving and sometimes dangerous turns - great scenery, many fine aspects, but a killer of a day that doesn't match the excitement of the pro-Hana reviews (or advice from locals like the highly-regarded "here today"). BUT -

Having said that, a great separate trip is Mama's for an early lunch (much less expensive than dinner for the same food and a better shot at a ocean-view table - try to get Cheyenne as your server), then back to Paia for browsing (best bakery on the island). Follow up with a sort-of high country drive up the road inland to Makawao, which is smaller but has some distinctive galleries amidst cowboy country.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM

Philly, like the lunch suggestion and so on but have a hard time regarding Hana road as having dangerous curves, it's just a twisty two-lane with occasional one-lane bridges.

For narrow roads and some drop-offs (Kahakuloa valley entrance/exit) drive around the "top" of Maui from Kapalua to Wailuku or vice versa
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Ditto, make a separate trip to Mama's - it's an experience on it's own!

We went while on the Hana road trip, and really wished we had more time to spend at Mama's.
You want to make sure you are not distracted by anything like road plans and have plenty of time to savor your food and drink.
Also, if you have a large meal (trust me, you don't want to leave any of Mama's food on the plate) you may have less fun hiking at Hana road stops afterwards... and you will not be able to jump into one of the waterfall pools if you choose to Ok - I didn't jump either, but my boyfriend did. It's a rather high jump.
If you want to eat at Mama's on the way home from Hana, I don't think your being less than crispy clean is an issue, but you may be too tired to enjoy the food fully.
Browse around the restaurant - I like the unique wall decor and the linens. Even bathroom decor was neat - little bamboo plants and blue/white porcelain ware.
There is a great attention to detail at Mama's - silverware, china, etc. Food and beverage presentation, etc. Yet it's very, very relaxed.
I also like parrots and enjoy watching them frolic at Mama's.
Besides, Mama's have their own spot of the beach - the most scenic view, with a low leaning palm and a backdrop of a coast line with little inlets where you can see baby fish sometimes... take pictures and walk down to the water. Sit on a leaning palm and daydream a bit.

I'd say only combine road to Hana with Mama's lunch or dinner if you are time constricted.

Beware of locals on narrow Hana's curves flying like maniacs in their pick-ups I guess it's a part of the experience. If someone tailgates you, it's probably a local who is familiar with the road - pull over and let them pass (I'm sure you already know that).

I am green with jealousy - we had a terrific time there! Have a wonderful honeymoon and take care.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:18 AM

I've done both in one day. And I was probably not as well dressed as I should've been for such an expensive, but it was fine! Mama's is not pretentious, though unless it gotten a lot better in the last 5 years, the food is overrated.
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the input. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes when we return!
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM

nadyam, funny you mentioned those locals driving like maniacs. I think i was attempting to follow one of those locals, they were driving 35 mph, and i was following, following, and you will not believe this... i hit a curb and got a flat tire. it was the worst experience, so yea, dont follow those locals and do pull over for them.

93 more days~
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:53 AM

kalunchi:
6 more day's!
I will be trying Mama's for the first time, but not on a return from Hana. We have done the twice now, it was cool, and Beautiful, but that's enough. Looking forward to one of their Mai Tai's at Mamma's...
6 more day's!!!
Lori