Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mall of America: Fly Up and Back from Atlanta in One Day . . . doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter finishes her current year of college in early May and I would like to do something fun with/for her. She loves to shop and loves malls (which I loathe so much I won't even go to one at Christmas).

I've been watching Air Tran sales and am considering flying up and back one one day to the Mall of America sometime in the middle of May. Is this a crazy idea? Are there shuttles from the airport to the mall? Has anyone out there ever done this and lived to tell about it?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:24 PM

The Mall is less than 10 minutes from MSP airport. If I'm reading the light rail schedule corrently - you could take that or a cab ... pretty easily. The Mall has a lot of your "standard" type Mall stores IMO. Some of my favorite mall stores are in Phoenix - don't know if that's doable for you but you'd have the time change going for you. Have fun.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM

I'm originally from Mpls and now live in Atlanta...the flight is generally just over 2 hours if all goes smooth. You can easily hop on the light rail at the airport and take it to the mall - maybe a 5-10 minute journey. Growing up there, I never understood the attraction of flying to Mpls just for the MOA. But now that I live in Atlanta I sure detest having to pay sales tax on clothing!

The trip can definitely be done in one day. You'll be tired from flying and being on your feet all day but I think you'd have a ball.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Is this is a crazy idea? Sure is. But what does that have to do with anything? It's doable and if it sounds like fun, go for it.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM

I love the idea and I love the way NeoPatrick replied.

I agree--go for it!

And it's easy; the light rail is simple and quick. Cabs are no problem either.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I am delighted to hear they have light rail in Minneapolis, I have never been there. And I did not even realize they have no tax on clothing!

I checked today and we can go for $200 roundtrip each.

She is going to be so surprised! I'm actually surprising myself, and that's a Good Thing!

And thanks for the pep talk, I needed it
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Go for it! I do a one day turnaround out of Newark for business at MOA, it's a long day, but the mall is just amazing. It's hard to imagine how huge it is, a few brands have two locations. It goes without saying, wear comfortable shoes, your thighs will be throbbing by the end of the day!

To break up the shopping, do something crazy like visiting the Oxygen store for a couple of hits of "air". Ride the roller coaster......have fun, you're a great Mom to do something this unique for your daughter!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Lindall I just got off the phone with my mother, who reacted very negatively to this plan. She objected on the grounds that the mall is "tacky," there is no good shopping there, and that it is "full of women who wear sneakers, solid color blue or lilac pants and flowered tops."

I am not making this up! She said she was underwhelmed by the MOA and if we wanted to shop, why didn't we at least go to New York? Sigh. When I catch myself acting snobbish I have to remind myself where it comes from.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I say GO FOR IT !!
You determine your experiences.... and if its for your daughter, I would say she has a pretty cool mom !!!!
what fun you both will have... and I would most likely keep track of women in sneakers, solid blue or lilac pants and flowered tops... make yourselves keep track for every shopping offender you spot and whomever gets the most points buys dinner ! Then let your mom know how much fun you had with her snide comment ! Turn lemons into lemonade - I say ! maybe you should both dress in matching mother/daughter attire - ( lilac pants and flowered tops) take a picture, frame it and give it to your mother !
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

OMG frugal, you are EVIL! But a photo we would think is funny she would never display.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:15 PM

not evil...
just a smart _ss !!
your mom sounds like my mother in law so I have had lots of years coping my way with her snide comments
I just wanted to get a giggle out of you and enforce the positive and GO !
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Tell your mother there's a cool sushi place in the Mall--there is, and it's pretty good--if that would change her outlook. There are a couple of quite good restaurants, Napa Grill being the one I liked best.

Oh, and there's a shop that sells nothing but PB&J--OK, your Mom will shudder, but it's fun! Chipotle PB, anyone?

I think your trip sounds like a hoot--have a ball!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM

kswl, lets give Mom a break today...sounds like she may be a tad envious of the trip??
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Great idea, but why not see if you can Priceline a room? I flew to ABQ via MSP one time (a really cheap air tix) and we were beat by the time we got to the airport hotel in NM that night. I think you'd get more bang for your buck - and have more fun if you had more time. I've not been there, but rumor has it that there's a lot more to do at the Mall of American than just shopping . Make it a 2 day trip.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Lindall, not a bit. I invited her and she declined. She did offer to take the three of us to NYC for shopping and the theater, and pay. But a trip to the Mall of America is definitely not her style.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:00 PM

http://www.mallofamerica.com/adults_...servation.aspx

Here ya go. The Hilton and Country Inn and Suites both offer shuttles to and from the airport and the mall. Make it a two day trip!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:02 PM

I may be presumptious in thinking your mom might be a bit controlling? Please set me straight if I'm wrong. I think you and your daughter should make a mom/daughter time and let YOUR mom stay at home. It's nice she offered to take you guys to NY, but am I wrong in thinking she would be the one in control? The older your daughter gets, and off into the working world, married etc. the less time you will have to do things like this together. You have the opportunity, so go and have a blast!!!!! My feet ache just thinking about it!!!! LOL
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM

You can get the photo op outfits at Wal-Mart before you leave home. Know how you will love that!

PS - Do you shop at Tiger Lily?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

The shop in downtown Griffin? Yes
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Crefloors, we've had many vacations like that but to be fair she usually lets/asks me to plan them, so I guess I am really the one in control. But NYC is not where we are going!

DD and I are going to the MOA! Tacky or not, here we come!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -