Help with Newport Beach/Balboa island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to spend a day in this area and though I'm looking at a fairly detailed map of the area right now, I could use some help in deciding how to spend my day.

1) Where would the area of strolling, window shopping be--Balboa Island, or Balboa peninsula? If it's Balboa Island, what street would it be and is shop browsing confined to fairly managebale area? I'm traveling with a disabled toddler so trying to pin down the logistics of getting there, parking, etc. Oh, is it a T-shirt shop, tacky Fisherman's Warf, or a unique Carmelish experience?

2) Is Fashion Island an outdoor mall? Malls don't do much for me generally, but I am atrracted to outdoor ones with unique environment.

3) What exactly can one do on Balboa Peninsula? How long are the Harbor tours?

4) Which pier (Newport or Boalboa) is of most interest?

5) Best beach in area for strolling/views, etc.

5) Any recommendations for $15 or less meals on Restaurant Row or Balboa areas?

Thank you.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Hi knute, we greatly enjoyed newport beach and balboa with two older teens in july 03. We all preferred the pennisula but we did take the little ferry boat to the island. Your toddler would probably enjoy the ride. However, we found very few shoppes or other things to do once on the island, as it's mostly residential.

The pennisula however, has a myriad of amusements, including rides and a carousel. Its somewhat touristy, but i wouldn't say tacky. Lots of sno-cone and ice cream type places, souvenir shoppes etc. Oh, and a great pizza place, the name of which escapes me.

We also took the 90 minute harbor cruise and just loved it! The captain regaled us with stories of the rich and famous residents, past and present. Shorter cruises are available; your toddler might just enjoy being on the water. Parking was not a problem.

IMO, i would head to the pennisula and enjoy that area first, maybe take the short harbor cruise (all of them go into the ocean a little) and definitely take the cute little ferry boat to the island (it takes like 5 min. max). The area is just beautiful, and so is nearby Laguna Beach. Enjoy!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ellen. We will be staying in Laguna Beach for 3 nights. Do you remember the name of the harbor cruise company you took? I have a guidebook that seems to have quite a few cruise options.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:04 AM

Yes, i do remember - luckily i'm a saver and have a copy of the brochure in the trip photo album

We used the Fun Zone Boat Co. (www.funzoneboats.com) taking tour #3, a combo of tours 1 and 2 that includes the 45 min. sealion/harbor entrance and 45 min. around Lido Isle.

Also i forgot to add -- check out Ruby's Diner at the end of Newport Beach Pier. (discovered here on fodors) Think Johnny Rockets california style, with much more variety AND better taste. Voted calif's best burger several years and fun for kids and adults alike. This location (their original i think?) has perfect 360 views. Have fun!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Hi Knute, Balboa Island is really cute and lots of shops, but not at the point where the ferry drops you off. From the Peninsula take the ferry over, your child will love it, and you will be able to find your way to the main street. (it's the only other way off the island!) I don't know the street names, but exit the ferry, turn right at the stop sign and keep going until you see shops and people milling around. Little food places, little shops with t-shirts and such...nothing like Fisherman's Wharf. Not much parking. Balboa Pier will have more to do with a child, there is a ferris whell and carousel and bout tours, but not too much more than that.The Ruby's out there does have their great burgers and a GREAT view, but it can be stuffy and smelly (people fish out there) during the summer. Newport pier doesn't have that much to look at. If you can get to the Huntington Beach pier (there is a parking structure) that is a newer pier with a MUCH nicer Ruby's. It has two stories, try to sit upstairs. If you can get up there before sunset you may see dolphins jumping in the water and the sunset!
I love Fashion Island! You will love Fashion Island! Your child will really love it! There is a new carousel, a couple of fountains, restaraunts and shopping galore. Must see!!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:23 PM

As a Laguna local, I recommend you spend the bulk of your time in that area.
Newport and Balboa are very commercial, but the previous info you received on touring Balboa is good. Fashion Island is not your average "mall". It is an outdoor retail center designed like a Mediteranian "village" but very "Newport
Nouveau." You'll catch on to that taste when you tour the area! Actually, it is quite nice and has just about any kind of food -ethnic and otherwise- you could want. There is a food court as well in the atrium.
Laguna has the best beaches for accessability and Dana Point Harbor is also very nice.The beach in the harbor is polluted, however...no swimming recommended. There is a Marine Institute there with fascinating displays for the whole family. You can even go to Catalina for a day from Dana Point. Check with your hotel when you get there. If you arrive from July 2 on there is the fabulous Art Festival in the Laguna Canyon area. Several separate festival locations with artisans from the area displaying and selling their works. Laguna Beach will keep you busy, believe me ...and have fun!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:31 PM

I live right by Fashion Island and walk on Balboa almost daily. Fashion Island is an outside mall with lots of water features to keep your child amused. Fountains that spurt water unexpectedly, a koi pond, etc. Also, it's very open with lots of room for walking. This would be the best place to just wander around window shopping. The main stores are the usual "mall" stores, but the "carts" dotted around carry interesting items. Balboa has just one street of shops - mostly very cute. BUT, the pavements are VERY narrow. We usually walk the perimeter of the island which has some quiet spots. As I said, the main street, Marine Ave. is very busy. Parking on the island is often difficult at the weekends. Mid week not such a problem. We took a boat cruise on Sunday last week from the Fun Zone - Harbor Cruises. Go into BalboaNewportBeach.com for details of whats there. Have fun.