Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Make-up in Maui? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/make-up-in-maui-500969/)

OldSouthernBelle Feb 3rd, 2005 03:29 PM

Make-up in Maui?

What do you do about the make-up thing while snorkeling/touring/shoping around the island(s)?
Please, only respond if you're a make-up wearer!OSB.

here_today_gone2Maui Feb 3rd, 2005 04:09 PM

I used to be a make-up wearer, then I moved to Maui.

Gellers Feb 3rd, 2005 04:24 PM

I wore makeup in the evenings when we went out to dinner. The rest of the time I skipped it, except maybe some lipgloss.

OldSouthernBelle Feb 3rd, 2005 04:41 PM

And the hair? ...

Cleo13 Feb 3rd, 2005 05:36 PM

I know that after a few days there the sun kisses your skin in a way that you realy don't need any makeup as for the hair.... hats work great or pony tails or clips. I have curly hair here in Reno that turns to fuzz but in Hawaii it turns into this awesome curl.:) March 2nd is our date to go can't wait for the nice hair and no makeup:):), among other things:)

here_today_gone2Maui Feb 3rd, 2005 11:50 PM

And the hair? I alway keep a hair clip handy -- one on on the strap of my purse, one on my emergency break in my car, one clipped to my beach chair. I never cease to be amazed by the [incredibly wonderful] effects of the island wind and humidity on my hair. I am on the "Really Big Island" right now (you may know it as if the "mainland") and I am blown away at the difference in my hair here vs. at home [Maui].

Just chill here. Leave the makeup at home and bring a hair clip. We have more important things to worry about than how you've fixed your hair!!

lcuy Feb 4th, 2005 12:14 AM

Waterprood mascara, lipstick with sunblock, and a hat to hide your wild hair and protect your skin.

emd Feb 4th, 2005 03:09 AM

If you can't stand to be without your makeup, have you thought of "permanent makeup"? My cosmetologist is certified and does this application.
Check it out.
Personally, I look forward to no makeup and floppy hair under a hat at the beach after corporate dressing for so much of the year. Big hat and big designer sunglasses work well.

Sunshinesue Feb 4th, 2005 03:27 AM

Permanent eyeliner!!! Best invention since the blow dryer! I've had it for years. But if you don't want to go to that extreme (or expense) you could just get your eyelashes dyed before your trip. No need for mascara then.

happybluesky Feb 4th, 2005 06:18 AM

Waterproof SPF 15-30 Sunblock for my face, waterproof mascara and a pretty lipgloss. :)

turn_it_on Feb 4th, 2005 12:03 PM

Please don't make the mistake of thinking anyone in Hawaii (including the turtles) is going to care what you look like. They're too busy enjoying the beauty of the islands. And the fish will all be wearing awesome eyeliner anyway, you'd never be able to compete.

Wouldn't all that makeup melt in the hot Hawaiian sun anyway if you brought it to the beach or left it in the car? I guess you could put it in the cooler with the sodas and the food..."Honey, do you want mayonnaise or Maybelline on your sandwich?"

Hair = hat...get a big, fun floppy one and it'll help keep your face and scalp from getting burned too. Aim for something with a strap if possible, it can get windy.

Um, good luck?

love
roxy

TravelDiva Feb 4th, 2005 12:52 PM

Oh great, you mean I've been killing myself with diet and exercise since the holidays for nothing? JK. I have to do that kind of thing or else I wouldn't be happy in my swimsuits in public.

sfamylou Feb 4th, 2005 01:42 PM

No makeup! Just lipgloss at night. No perfume either. Why interfere with all the great-smelling flora? Don't worry; you'll be all refreshed and relaxed and sun-kissed. Put a flower in your hair and have fun!

kolohegirl Feb 4th, 2005 01:44 PM

I don't. The only make-up I wear is waterproof mascara. Works great and I spend quite a bit of time surfing. You seriously don't need the make-up. It's actually a dead give away of the tourist straight off the cruise ship!

Melissa5 Feb 4th, 2005 01:46 PM

We just returned from Maui. On Maui the eye of the beholder is turned in the direction of the young perfect bodies running around in the warm tropical breezes scantily clad...therfore nobody is looking at your face!

And if you're almost 50, like us, nobody is looking at you at all...why would they when there are all those younger more perfect bodies to look at in bathing suits, shorts, etc.? That's what my husband and I noticed. Also the eye is struck with the natural beauty of the ocean and green foliage.

Definitely more casual dress is the rule on Maui, even for dinner...people seemed to wear less make-up, it seems to me, make-up didn't matter...Hair styles are wind-blown, just-out-of-the-water look...NOT fussy.

In fact now that I remember, the male waiters at the Feast of Lele were topless!!! How's that for casual?!

It seemed to me that the popular look in Maui is sun-kissed, wind-blown, and the least amount of clothes you can wear...

beachkomer Feb 4th, 2005 01:52 PM

I am the type of girl who wears make up to the store for milk, and in Hawaii, for the first time in my ADULT life, I skipped make up.

It was such a relief!!

I did wear sunscreen and chap stick.

For a nice dinner out, I confess, I did add some mascara to my no-color lashes.

Relax!

kureiff Feb 4th, 2005 01:52 PM

hmmm...the least amount of clothes you can wear. I'm with traveldiva . . . more time at the gym!

TravelDiva Feb 4th, 2005 03:44 PM

In my case, I'm 31-and-desperately-holding-onto-my-twentysomething-body. Not sure how good I'm doing on that front, but...

Going from sun-deprived to sun-kissed is exactly what I'm looking forward to! :)

emd Feb 4th, 2005 03:52 PM

What, say again?? Topless male waiters at Feast of Lele? Where exactly is that? =P~

TravelDiva Feb 4th, 2005 04:07 PM

We're going to Feast of Lele and I can't wait! You should go to their website (http://www.feastatlele.com) and check out the tanned bods of those Hawaiian guys!