Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Majestic Hotel in SF? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/majestic-hotel-in-sf-506714/)

samschack Feb 24th, 2005 06:41 AM

Majestic Hotel in SF?

I have been tracking packages from "Luxury Link" and have seen 5 night stays for one BR suites at the Majestic at very reasonable prices. So low that I wonder if there is a reason not to bid on it. Does anyone have experience with that hotel? My wife and I are planning to go to SF in late summer for 4-5 days and want a nice spacious room for the trip.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

LoveItaly Feb 24th, 2005 08:43 AM

Hi, the hotel is beautiful. But do be aware that it is not near Union Square or North Beach etc.

I do not know what parts of SF you want to visit and whether or not you want to be "in the middle" of things, so to speak.

samschack Feb 25th, 2005 08:02 AM

Thank you for the information. Since we have never been to San Francisco we aren't sure where the middle of things is or if we really need to be there.
Our goal is to stay in San Francisco and rent a car for a couple of day trips to Napa and otherwise be tourists and sight see and hopefully enjoy all of the great restaurants there. Would you still recommend the Majestic? Or should we look elsewhere?

LoveItaly Feb 25th, 2005 09:40 AM

Goodmorning samschack, I think since you have not been to SF before you might be happier elsewhere.

What do you wish to do and see in SF?
Any areas that particularly interest you such as Union Square, North Beach, Union St. museums etc.

Do you like to do a lot of walking? SF is a great city for walking.

samschack Feb 25th, 2005 01:43 PM

Thank you again---I think you are correct. We will most likely look to other areas for a hotel.
Union Square seems like a fairly popular area from what I've read, as well as Fishermen's Wharf.
We are interested in visiting museums too. Walking is not a problem for us. Even though we will probably rent a car, our goal is to do as much sightseeing on foot as we can or by mass transit (cable cars?) so that we can get a feel for the city and have some interaction. I've heard it's a fairly friendly city.

LoveItaly Feb 25th, 2005 02:01 PM

Hello Samschack, where are you coming from?

Yes, SF is a friendly city. And since you like to walk I believe you will have a wonderful time.

Here is my thoughts. If you stay at Union Sqaure, or close by you can enjoy so many areas. You can walk through Chinatown, and to North Beach. You can walk to BuenaVista Park and the SOMA Museum. You can walk up Powell, turn left on California and be at NobHill. The Grace Catherdal is intersting to go into.

At Union Square you can walk down Powell St., cross Market and go into the SF Cenre, the most unusual escalator (so they say) in the world. Small shops and Nordstroms is there.

You can catch the F Line on Market, go down Market St., (where the Ferry Building is which you might like to check out) and then the F Line goes around the Embarcadero to Fishermans Wharf.

Or from North Beach you can walk to Fishermans Wharf. From North Beach you can walk up to Coit Tower.

So many things to do, so many places to go to.

And yes, the cable cars can be utilized also.

May I suggest that you do not rent a car until you are ready to travel to Napa etc. You will save about $40.00 per day on hotel parking charges.

I sure wish you a beautiful trip.

And oh, BTW, at Union Square, at the east end is an Italian Cafe. It is a fun spot to get a drink or pastry or sandwich and sit outside (inside seating also) and just do a "people watching" time. Very relaxing and fun.

IMHO staying at or around Union Square is so much better then staying at Fishermans Wharf. That tends to be touristy and tacky. Just my thoughts, but many others also.

Best wishes!

samschack Feb 27th, 2005 08:48 AM

Thanks LoveItaly---I think we will most definitely look at hotels in the Union Square area based on your helpful advice. The things you mentioned are very much the types of things my wife and I would enjoy doing while there. We are from Sarasota FL and are looking forward to a change of pace(incl. our hot weather)towards the end of summer. I also appreciate your suggestions on a car rental. We certainly don't need to rent a car for 5 days and pay to have it parked for the majority of our time there.
Thanks again

Mollie Feb 27th, 2005 10:37 AM

Agree with LoveItaly on staying around Union Square, but don't go too far West of Union Square or you're in the Tenderloin district. I would also rent a car the day before you leave for Napa to drive out to Twin Peaks for a fabulous overview of the City and out to Golden Gate Park, along the coast, through the Presidio and across the Golden Gate Bridge to drive up above it at Marin Headlands. We also love the drive along the Marina over to the Palace of Fine Arts just to gawk at the beautiful homes. By all means utilize the cable cars while there; the Powell-Hyde line is the most scenic. I lived in SF a million years ago and it is still my favorite place in the world. Enjoy!

LoveItaly Feb 27th, 2005 12:25 PM

Hi samschack, I sure agree with Mollie. A car for the day before you leave would be a good idea, Mollie's thoughts on where to drive to would be very enjoyable.

About hotels around Union Square.

Two I do not like is the Sir Francis Drake and the St. Francis.

The Grand Hyatt is right at Union Square, on Stockton St., right around the corner from Post St.

The Villa Florence which is part of the Kimpton Group, is one half block south of Union Square on Powell St. As you want a spacious room I think you would want to book a suite there as their regular rooms are not tiny but they are not spacious. It is considered a botique hotel.

The Donetella Hotel is about one block from Powell St. I have not stayed there for quite awhile but there rooms (at least the ones with the terraces) were quite large.

The Compton Hotel is expensive. It is on Stockton St. also.

The SF Chronical website is www.sfgate.com. You will probably enjoy checking that out before your trip.

BTW, I love your Sarasota. I have family on LongBoatKey. You live in a beautiful area!

Have fun planning your trip. And welcome to SF.

Mollie Feb 27th, 2005 04:49 PM

ttt