Maison Dupuy Hotel, New Orleans

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Maison Dupuy Hotel, New Orleans

Anyone have views on this hotel? Good rooms/ restaurant? Is it close to Bourbon Street? What are the "must see and dos" of New Orleans? I would be grateful for any help.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:45 AM

We stayed at Maison Dupuy a couple years ago for Quarter Fest. It's two blocks off of Bourbon Street, but the second block is sort of quiet and somewhat dark. I wouldn't want to walk that second block alone at night. We were advised to not make a right turn (away from Bourbon) when we left the hotel. The neighborhood gets a bit dicey fairly quickly.

There was nothing wrong with our room, but it had no feel that we were in New Orleans. Could have been a mid range hotel room any where. There was a wedding in the courtyard that weekend, but meant it was unavailable to guests pretty much our entire stay, which didn't make me too happy.

We didn't eat at the restaurant, so can't help there. All in all, we prefer a place that has some character, and probably won't return. Next visit we have reservations at La Maison Marigny, on the quiet end of Bourbon itelf. Looks awesome, I can't wait.

As for 'must sees', here's a very short (and very opinionated) list: Take a ride on the street car through the garden district, if it's the right time of day, stop at The Columns Hotel for a drink on their wonderful veranda and watch the world go by. Get up early in the morning and walk the streets of the Quarter as it wakes up (Avoid Boubon at this hour, it really smells). Window shop the antique stores on Royal. Wander the Quarter some more. Stop at Napoleon House for a very good Muffeleta (sp) sandwich and their signature drink, a Pimms Cup.

I've heard the D-Day Museum is good. Also a cruise on the Mississippi is fun, but I've heard to avoid the dinner cruise. The zoo has a good reputation, and you can go there by boat if you wish. If you want to venture afar, there are swamp and plantation tours to be had.

Lots and lots of music venues, most on Bourbon aren't very good, just very loud. We do, however, enjoy Big Al Carson and the Bluesmasters, who play at the Funky Pirate on Bourbon.

When are you planning on traveling?
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the information. As I have never been to New Orleans I really appreciate the insight into the district the hotel is in. We are planning to go next October.I don't think Maison Dupuy will be where we stay!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Yikes! How could you forget Cafe du Monde and the French Market? You must have had some sort of reaction to all the salivating you're doing thinking about that muffeletta sandwich.

I stayed in Fauborg-Marignay last time I was in NOLA at a B&B. The area along Frenchman was a lot of fun. It's less touristy than the quarter, but open late. I enjoyed it immensely.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Dan

I like Frenchmen Street a lot too. It's one of the "hidden jewels" of New Orleans although it may not be this way very much longer because I keep seeing the Faubourg Marigny in travel magazines!

JeanH, Travel+Leisure magazine (Dec.) just featured Magnolia Mansion (garden dist), La Maison Marigny (Marigny) and Maison Perrier (uptown, I think) as good B&B selections.

Miason Dupuy used to be owned by Delta Queen so it drew a much older crowd than most other hotels. Don't know if this is the case now.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

thanks Tandoori Girl and Dan. I will research the B and Bs. Any other hotel recommendations and sites to see will be much welcomed!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 11:06 AM

I've stayed here:
http://www.greatbedandbreakfast.com/...b.php/bbID/428

Can you link that? It's the Royal Street Courtyard B&B.

What are you looking for? What price range? This place is cheap! And great location in Fauborg Maurignay which is a short walk to the quarter. It's not upscale, but it's very nice.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:22 PM

fiona,

stayed there a year ago. OK but not outstanding. I think the restaurant hours were very limited too.

i love the royal sonesta on bourbon st. it cost $30 a night more than the Dupuy at the time but it's a much nicer hotel and location, location, location.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone else have good web addresses for hotels or B and Bs in New Orleans?