Maine Road trip

Aug 17th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Maine Road trip

I am planning a road trip NY to Acadia NP, Sept 29-Oct 6. How much time should I allow for Acadia NP for sightseeing with a little hiking? Am also planning on Camden, Kennebuckport, Boothbay Harbor and Bar Harbor. This is a first trip for Maine and would like to know if I am allowing enough time or too much time to explore these towns.
Or perhaps there is a town I just shouldn't go home without seeing? My interests are strictly sightseeing and seafood with a tad or no shopping. Is it necessary to make hotel/motel/bb reservations or can I pick them up along the way? Thank you for your help.
Aug 18th, 2003, 02:17 AM

We have spent weekends in Maine late in September and found Camden to be just as busy as in August such as long wait at restaurants. Three days in Bar Harbor were enough for us but we don't do a lot of hiking. I would make hotel reservations. There's a lot of people who do weekend trips as long as the weather holds. We usually spend a week in an area and drive down side roads. Bring binoculars and figure in time to watch the boats. The top of Mt Battie overlooking Camden harbor is particularly good. There's a nice little winery in Lincolnville just north of Camden but it's off the beaten track. Cellar Door Winery. It's places like this that you miss if don't read local brochures or watch for signs. Our favorite lobster place is Waterman's Beach past the Owl's Head Museum in Rockland but I'm not sure how long they are open after Labor Day since they don't have inside dining. There's a couple of great lobster places near Pemaquid Point and the view from the lighthouse is great. Find Damariscotta on the map and take the northern route along the pennisula out to Pemaquid.
Aug 18th, 2003, 03:18 AM

If you love seafood, and would like a true Maine experience, go to Young's Lobster Pound. (In Belfast, 10 minute drive north of Lincolnville, on route 1, slightly north of Route 3, almost next to Perry's Nut House.) It is off the main road so look for their sign. They are open year round, and you can eat lobsters, clams, crabs on their wharf over looking the harbor with tons of boats bobbing in the ocean, the sun glissening on the water and the smell of fresh ocean air. Bring a cooler with ice cold beer, and your Maine experience will be complete.
Aug 19th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for replying. I was really hoping that it wouldn't be too crowded once school went back but guess I was wrong. I guess I'll have to plan tighter and make reservations But I will be trying your suggestions. I love seafood, especially shellfish so I will pig-out in Maine.
Thanks again.

Search this Thread