Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maine - Nova Scotia (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maine-nova-scotia-219963/)

Michel May 13th, 2002 12:44 PM

Maine - Nova Scotia

We are planning 2 weeks vacation in August to coastal Maine and Acadia/Bar Harbor area. We were considering to take a ferry to Nova Scotia. How many days we need to visit Nova Scotia?Halifax, Cape Breton? Does it make sense or there are other places in Maine and nearby areas to visit? We like active vacations with a lot of sightseeing.

Molly May 13th, 2002 03:25 PM

Michel, It really depends on how much of coastal Maine you want to see. Certainly, you could easily spend the entire 2 weeks in either Maine or Nova Scotia, and not be bored. However, it would be very feasible to spend a couple nights in the Bar Harbor area, then take the Cat to Nova Scotia for the remainder of your trip. <BR>It's so hard for anyone to advise you without knowing your specific interests. If you enjoy the outdoors, you'll want to allow a few days along the amazing Cabot Trail, and a stop at the fort in Louisburg. Lunenburg and the south shore is worth a day or so. Annapolis Royal is worth a stop for its fort and garden, and there is excellent theatre in Wolfville. Parrsboro {fossils, rock collecting, scenery and hiking} is another interesting area, off the tourist route. Send for the great Doers and Dreamers Guide from the NS visitor's bureau {1-800-565-0000. I feel like I'm always plugging it, but it truely is the best regional guide I've seen. Our library even keeps a copy on it's shelves!<BR>You can make it across NS in a very long day, but I'd advise breaking your trip up, traveling one way up, and another way back. Truro is a good stop -as a base only; aside from the tides, I don't think there's much to commend it. <BR>If you decide to spend longer in Maine, a circular Yarmouth-Halifax-Yarmouth route would give you a good first look at NS, and would be less of a rush to pack everything in. But the Cabot Trail is worth the trip!

cd May 13th, 2002 04:48 PM

Hi Michel<BR>I second the Cabot Trail! It's been many yrs, and I remember it like yesterday.

steve May 13th, 2002 08:02 PM

Are you renting a car? if so, check to see if yoiu can take it into Canada (we wanted to do it a few years ago, and the rental companies did not allow it)<BR><BR>Take some time to get away from the coast - take a trip to Greenville and Moosehead Lake

Liz May 14th, 2002 04:23 AM

Do check the mileage before you decide. Cape Breton is terrific, but Nova scotia is bigger than we expected.

gail May 14th, 2002 04:31 AM

We did loop around Nova Scotia in 6 days, staying in Digby, Halifax and (I think) Lunenburg. We had kids with us and that timing was just right. Cape Breton is beautiful (was there several years ago), but if you have kids with you that might be too much scenery. Without kids, you could probably cut maybe one day off Nova Scotia and add a few days and see Cape Breton.<BR><BR>Don't know from where you are starting, but we did the Cat ferry from Bar Harbor and took the all-day ferry on the way home to Portland. I think a couple of days in Bar Harbor is enough - then the question is how much time on coastal Maine and that may help you to decide whether or not to do Cape Breton<BR><BR>(And then, as long as you are this far already, add another week and do New Brunswick or PEI - but I know people have jobs, etc and can not travel 48 weeks/year)

Marcia May 14th, 2002 07:54 AM

Sounds like you are doing the same trip we are. I wonder if anyone knows how far ahead of time do you need to make reservations for the ferry out of Bar harbor,to Nova Scotia, I believe it is the Cat. My husband and I will be on motorcycles. T

LJ May 14th, 2002 07:59 AM

There is no problem taking a rental car in (and out) of Canada. It does not require as much advance notice to book motorcycles on to the Cat as for cars, but if you want a little cabin you must let them know ASAP.

x May 14th, 2002 10:09 AM

Did Cape Breton (and Maine) a couple of years ago and would LOVE to get back to Cape Breton! It's quite a long drive, so the ferry is probably a good time-saver. Don't forget to do a search on the Canadian forum for more Nova Scotia info. And if the local McDonalds are still offering Lobster Rolls - go for it! What a tasty bargain. (McDonalds!..who knew???)